Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: Barra13 on June 26, 2015, 04:52:00 PM
I'd like to see Crossy go into some kind of role at the club for the younger kids, something similar to McCartney maybe. He would be a great role model and knows the rigors of day in day out AFL life.

100%

Perhaps in a similar role to Shannon Byrnes?

Barra13

Roosy's Mid Season Player Review;

Rohan Bail: Ro’s had a reasonable year. He’s certainly been very good at VFL level â€" he’s played some terrific footy with Casey â€" and played some good roles, when he’s been asked to do them. I think the next level for Ro is to have some real belief in his game, which is starting to happen. I thought his game against Geelong was one of his better ones, so I’m looking forward to him continuing to improve and continuing to get better â€" no matter where he plays.

Angus Brayshaw: Angus has shown what I saw of him last year at the Sandringham Dragons and I watched him every week. He’s a natural ball-winner and he naturally goes back to the ball. Probably early on, his decision-making and kicking wasn’t great, but I think the last two or three weeks, he’s really started to iron that out and got more composed at senior level. He’s had a very good start to his AFL career.

Daniel Cross: I think Crossy was consistent early in the year, but probably a bit of a turning point for him was going to half-back. He reads the ball so well and he’s really helped out defence. He continues to be a pro and he continues to play really consistent AFL football.

Chris Dawes: Dawesy’s had an up-and-down year. He hasn’t really been able to get going because of his calf. The back end of the year is really important for him and for us as a footy club, because when he’s in there and playing a really important role for us â€" as you saw in the game at Geelong, which was a good example â€" he played a really important role. When he does that, we’re a better team.

Lynden Dunn: Dunny’s game against Geelong was the best I’ve seen him play. His balance between defence and attack was exceptional and he played on a really good player in Tom Hawkins. He’s been OK in the first half of the year, but hopefully the Geelong game is a real stepping stone for him to finish off the year, as he started last year, because he showed last year that he can be one of the best defenders in the competition.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Fitzy’s game against the Bulldogs was his highlight of the year. But now it’s really about finding consistency for Fitzy. He’s played some good footy in the VFL, but he’s had some footy, where he’s had some flaws in his game. But it’s really about consistency of performance â€" on and off the field for Fitzy.

Sam Frost: Frosty showed what he could give us in the pre-season and early in the season. He’s a competitor with really great speed. He’s going to be a natural defender, even though we played him forward/ruck early in the year, but I’m really looking forward to him playing in the back end of the year.

Colin Garland: Col’s been super consistent and arguably our most consistent player. He’s done a role every single week, but unfortunately he broke his hand and missed a couple of games before the bye. He’s a high-quality AFL defender.

Jeff Garlett: Jeff hasn’t been a surprise packet, because we’ve seen what he could do at Carlton, but what he’s done has been exceptional. His ability to come back to the football is what I like. His commitment to the defensive side of the game generates a lot of his offense and helps us as a footy team.

Max Gawn: Maxy, by his own admission, probably struggled early in the season and I must admit we were a little bit worried about his form. I spoke to him a lot about it and then he played a really good, consistent block in the VFL and then it was highlighted by his game against Geelong. Hopefully that potential that we’ve known is there turns into becoming a really consistent performer at AFL level.

Jack Grimes:
Grimesy has been really up-and-down this year, but we’ve had some really good discussions with him. The thing with Jack is that he wants to be a good player and he learns and listens. So it was disappointing that he got injured against St Kilda, because I thought he played one of his best games. The challenge for him is to get back and play some consistent footy.

MORE TO FOLLOW WHEN AVAILABLE

Purple 77

Always love Roosy's insights.

Big Mac

"But it’s really about consistency of performance â€" on and off the field for Fitzy."

Anything in that or am I reading too much into it?

Barra13

I was reading into this from Dawes...

The back end of the year is really important for him and for us as a footy club, because when he’s in there and playing a really important role for us

Big Mac

Kinda wish we had a game this weekend but I'll probably just watch last week's again tonight

Quote from: Barra13 on June 26, 2015, 06:14:50 PM

The back end of the year is really important for him and for us as a footy club, because when he’s in there and playing a really important role for us

Yeh I noticed that one, imo he could even get dropped for Jesse this week

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 28, 2015, 04:13:27 PM
Kinda wish we had a game this weekend but I'll probably just watch last week's again tonight

Quote from: Barra13 on June 26, 2015, 06:14:50 PM

Yeh I noticed that one, imo he could even get dropped for Jesse this week

That's the dream!  :P

Dare I say it... Toumpas' past month has made him JUST sneak in behind Dawes as my most frustrating Melbourne player.

But don't get me wrong, the guy still showers me.

My Chumps

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 28, 2015, 04:32:29 PM
Dare I say it... Toumpas' past month has made him JUST sneak in behind Dawes as my most frustrating Melbourne player.
I knew you'd come around Purps :')

Barra13

James Harmes: Harmesy is a young player who is really learning. What I really like about James is that he’s starting to really listen and learn and his improvement has been good. He’s starting to understand both sides of the ball â€" offensively and defensively â€" but he needs to continue to improve in the back half of the season.

Jesse Hogan: The thing I love about Jesse is his competitiveness and he’s got a great work rate. If you’ve got those two, then you can keep working through games. As a young player does, he goes through lulls in games, but he allows himself to get back into contests, because he works so hard and he’s such a good competitor.

Jeremy Howe: Howey has been a little bit up-and-down, but when he’s on and when his commitment to the defensive side of the game is on â€" as we saw with his game against Geelong â€" he’s a very good player. I genuinely said to him after that game against Geelong that it was the best game of footy I’ve seen of a player without touching the ball in the first half. That was because he was involved in the game. He was chasing and tackling, and was bringing the ball to ground. When he does that, he’s a very good player.

Jayden Hunt: Hunty has had quite a few injuries to deal with in the first half of the season and really all we’re looking from him at the moment is to get on the park consistently. We really want him to listen to the coaches and use his speed, when he plays. He needs to use that because that’s his greatest asset â€" and he needs to get back to playing some consistent football.

Mark Jamar: Mark probably wasn’t out of form, when he got dropped. It was really that the other ruckmen were playing so well. The good thing with Mark is that he’s responding well at VFL level. We still think he’s got a role to play with the footy club and he just needs to play really good football and force his way back into the team.

Neville Jetta: Nev unfortunately missed that month with concussion. I think we’ve seen how much we’ve missed him. He’s one of the best small defenders now in the competition. He’s hard and tough, and we’re probably seeing him in the past couple of weeks getting back to some fantastic form.

Matt Jones: With Matty, it’s more that other guys have really stepped up, which has meant he’s played more in the VFL this year. He’s still playing good footy at VFL level and he’s playing pretty good footy when he gets a chance at AFL level. He just needs to continue to work on his game and continue to improve, and not let other guys go past him, because he does show he has some real AFL qualities.

Nathan Jones: Nathan is a great student of the game. He was probably disappointed with some of his games early in the season, but I think his past three games have been as good as I’ve seen him play. His commitment now to two-way running, running hard to pick up his man and running hard offensively is as good as I’ve seen him play.

Jay Kennedy-Harris: Jay started off the year pretty positively. We saw what we could get with him, with his speed and endurance, and when he gets up the ground and then gets back. He then had a groin injury, so now it’s about getting him back, and hopefully playing some good VFL footy and then getting him back in the senior team.

Dean Kent: Dean was another one we felt started the season really well. He showed his speed and kicked some really critical goals. He made some really good tackles to set the scene against Richmond early in the season, and then got injured in that game. He’s been out for a fair while, but we’re looking forward to getting him back later in the season.

Max King: Maxy has been slow to develop, but to his credit his last five or six weeks have been good. I’ve watched him play a number of times in the Development League and you could see the real talent that he had. Then he kicked five goals in his first VFL game for the season. He just needs to keep being consistent â€" on and off the field.

Barra13

Heritier Lumumba: ‘H’ has been terrific. He’s really settled over the past month. By necessity we’ve had to put him back and play him off a half-back flank, but he’s been terrific in the past month. He gives us some real speed and drive, and we just love his energy around the footy club. He’s really committed to the club and committed to his teammates.

Oscar McDonald: Oscar is developing nicely. He started in the Development League and is now playing VFL. He’s now starting to understand what AFL footy looks like â€" if you’re in defence, you’ve got to play on a man and not just stand in an area. He’s got some AFL tools. He’s big, got good agility, endurance and speed, so he’s developing well.

Tom McDonald:
Tom was exceptional in the first six or seven weeks, but has been a little bit more inconsistent over the last four or five weeks. But I’m really looking forward to him having a break â€" because he’s been a warrior for us in the first half of the season â€" and then coming back and playing the rest of the season in some really good form, like he was earlier in the year.

Jordie McKenzie: Jordie’s been a really consistent VFL player. We know when he gets his chance what he can do. A few of the things we’re working on with him are a bit better ball use and capitalising on those possessions. We want him to do that at VFL level, so if he does get the opportunity at AFL level, we know that he’ll be able to use the ball better.

Viv Michie: Viv has been a little bit inconsistent and he’s still learning our system. He’s taken a little bit longer than what he and I would’ve hoped. As long as he’s working really hard and continuing to improve â€" he dominates VFL â€" his challenge is to get up and play really good AFL footy.

Alex Neal-Bullen:
We’ve seen him in the past couple of weeks at AFL level. What the development coaches liked about him was his clean hands and he’s ferocious at the ball. We’ve seen he’s a bit of a goalsneak as well, so you couldn’t ask for much more from a kid, who didn’t have a full pre-season and hurt his knee a couple of times during that period.

Ben Newton: Benny is really our system and learning what we expect. He’s showed he can play some good AFL football and he kicked some real critical goals at times earlier in the season. He’s just got to get confidence in himself and in a new system. We think he can play at AFL level, but it’s about getting that consistency.

Cameron Pedersen:
Pedo’s season has finished, due to injury, which is really disappointing. He played a couple of important games and really good games, but unfortunately we’re not going to see him for the rest of the year.

Christian Petracca: Track’s been terrific around the club and we’ve seen what he could do in the pre-season. It’s always tough when you’re a young kid not playing, but he’s a ball of energy and the players love him. He’s just got to knuckle down on his rehab and make sure he doesn’t waste the year, and really come back a much better and smarter player. He’s doing some forward scouting for us and learning the game as well. 

Aidan Riley: Aidan’s played a couple of handy roles. His deficiencies are that he’s really got to work hard on his endurance and two-way running. He plays well at VFL level, but to develop into a consistent AFL player, he’s got to work hard on both sides of the game â€" offensively and defensively.

Christian Salem: Christian was terrific early in the season and a real shining light off half-back. His ability to defend was really good and his ability to tackle and come back to the ball was terrific, but unfortunately he got injured and hopefully he’ll be back soon.

Purple 77

Trying to decipher any hidden messages in these reviews...

Picking up on any?

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 29, 2015, 07:31:55 PM

Picking up on any?

How long have Viv, Mckenzie and Riley got on their contracts?

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 29, 2015, 07:33:00 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on June 29, 2015, 07:31:55 PM

Picking up on any?

How long have Viv, Mckenzie and Riley got on their contracts?

Hehe.  :P

Barra13

This is what I took from that;

Nothing to say that Pedo's in trouble. Likely he will get another contract.

It looks like Newton isn't doing everything that the coaches ask.

Mckenzie and Jamar won't get another game, unless forced.

Riley has a lot to learn.

JKH is in the future team.

MJones is just depth.

He's happy with the yound kids in Harmes, King and Oscar.

Barra13

CONTRACTS;

Jones 27,

Brayshaw 19, Petracca 19,

Dunn 27, Hogan 20, Viney 20, Lumumba 28, Kennedy-Harris20, Salem 19,

Trengove 22, Dawes 26, Grimes 25 (RFA), Watts 24 (RFA), Michie* 23, Vince 29, Tyson* 21, Kent 21, M Jones 27, Spencer 25 (UFA), T McDonald 22, Terlich 25, Jetta 25, Garlett 25, Stretch 18, Frost 21, Newton 22, Neal-Bullen 19, O McDonald 19

Jamar 31 (UFA), Garland 26 (RFA), McKenzie 24, Howe 24, Gawn 23, Fitzpatrick 23, Toumpas 21, Pedersen 28, Hunt 19, Cross 32, Bail 26, Riley 23, Harmes  ® 19, King ® 19, Vandenberg ® 23, White ® 18