Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Interesting Purps. Will be keen to see if he is correct.
Must admit there's a fair bit of excitement about Melbourne now

Grazz

Yeh it's good to see the Dee's finding a bit, GWS are up and about now Bulldogs have played some good footy, Saints improving Lions will get themselves sorted soon it's not a bad list but missing a couple of key outs from injury at the minute their better than they've shown i think. GC have gone backwards to go forwards if we believe Rocket and injuries have nullified their year also they to are better than they've shown. Hopefully Carlton can make quick time in their rebuild . The comp is getting stronger which makes for better footy for all of us fans of the game. Been awhile coming but it's getting there.

Big Mac

Melbourne injury list: round nine

Chris Dawes (calf) â€" test
Sam Frost (toe) â€" 4-6 weeks
Neville Jetta (concussion) â€" available
Jay Kennedy-Harris (groin) â€" 2 weeks
Dean Kent (hamstring) â€" 6 weeks
Christian Petracca (knee) â€" season
Christian Salem (hamstring) â€" 2 weeks
Jack Trengove (foot) â€" season
Dom Tyson (knee) â€" test
Jack Viney (fibula) â€" available

Purple 77

Start of the year we were really healthy, but seemed to get an injury a week  :-\

However, our depth seems to be returning somewhat.

I heard an interesting suggestion from Demonland... perhaps we should rest Gus this week, which would make way for Tyson (assuming Viney and Jetta come in for Bail and M.Jones)

powersuperkents

Honestly, the Demons have shown that they have improved. Last season they fell apart after a big loss.

To go from 3 losses (two of which were thrashing) to more than convincingly beat a strong bulldogs outfit is incredible. The 3 losses where to the top 3 teams and expected. I would say the Demons are competing for the 8 this season and should be a frontrunner as a top 8 contender next year. The game against the Bulldogs was their biggest test to see if they could hold together (i.e. remain consistent) and they passed with flying colours. Congrats Paul Roos, only took one year to fix a team that was deemed unfix-able. Should give the next Carlton coach hope.

Wishing my side had the Demons' resilience atm  :-\

Purple 77

Wow, competing for the 8 this year? You have more optimism than I PSK :P but thanks for the kind words.

And to  think a lot of Melbourne supporters wrote the year off and some even wanted roos to get the flick last week ::)

powersuperkents

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 28, 2015, 08:42:11 AM
Wow, competing for the 8 this year? You have more optimism than I PSK :P but thanks for the kind words.

And to  think a lot of Melbourne supporters wrote the year off and some even wanted roos to get the flick last week ::)
hahahahahaha what!!!

Sydney, Freo, then Hawthorn. What did they expect!! I think the team has done well, however to beat one of these sides (one of which remains 8-0) you have to be a top 4 contender (or incredibly lucky). Those supporters should be commending Roos, not criticising him hahaha   

Additionally, I think Hawthorn could beat a lot of teams at will by a 100 point margin but choose not to. They only did it against the Demon's because they were playing the Swans the next week, were coming off a loss, being criticised by some, and needed to make a statement (it's like when the Swan's beat Geelong by 100 points last year to assert dominance, nothing but mere mind games and not a reflection of the Demons - they were basically just unlucky)

Purple 77

Quote from: powersuperkents on May 28, 2015, 03:23:27 PM

hahahahahaha what!!!

Sydney, Freo, then Hawthorn. What did they expect!! I think the team has done well, however to beat one of these sides (one of which remains 8-0) you have to be a top 4 contender (or incredibly lucky). Those supporters should be commending Roos, not criticising him hahaha   

Additionally, I think Hawthorn could beat a lot of teams at will by a 100 point margin but choose not to. They only did it against the Demon's because they were playing the Swans the next week, were coming off a loss, being criticised by some, and needed to make a statement (it's like when the Swan's beat Geelong by 100 points last year to assert dominance, nothing but mere mind games and not a reflection of the Demons - they were basically just unlucky)

Lol, that's what I was thinking too! Some sane people over at Demonland said just that, then got crucified by the others saying "Excuses, excuses, excuses. We will always be a bad club blah blah blah".

Well, for one, they're not excuses. It's the truth. We weren't gonna beat any of those teams, so lets just stop expecting to beat all three of them and cut our wrists when we don't, and start to look at the reality of the situation.

Still, although what these people were saying was half-pathetic, the other half was pretty darn funny haha.

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 28, 2015, 03:31:53 PM

hahahahahaha what!!!

Lol, that's what I was thinking too! Some sane people over at Demonland said just that, then got crucified by the others saying "Excuses, excuses, excuses. We will always be a bad club blah blah blah".

Well, for one, they're not excuses. It's the truth. We weren't gonna beat any of those teams, so lets just stop expecting to beat all three of them and cut our wrists when we don't, and start to look at the reality of the situation.

Still, although what these people were saying was half-pathetic, the other half was pretty darn funny haha.

Some of the things people were saying before the dogs game really had me questioning why they are even still supporters

powersuperkents

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 28, 2015, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on May 28, 2015, 03:31:53 PM

hahahahahaha what!!!

Some of the things people were saying before the dogs game really had me questioning why they are even still supporters
I don't understand why supporters complain when the only empirical changes in the team is improvement. I think this should be a happier time for Demons supporters. Next year will be the test (will have to equal or beat this seasons progress), this season has been nothing but positives for the club imo. Carlton supporters should be the only ones complaining tbh - even GCS would be doing well this season if it weren't for their injury list

Millsy999

Purple 77

Continuing on from another thread, Big Mac and my boy Hulk gets the Rising Star nomination  :D

I also think Brayshaw probably deserved it on the day, but I have a feeling consistency was key for Hulk's nomination.

I also genuinely believe he is a great chance to take the award out. Heeney going down certainly helped his cause, who are the other main threats?

Purple 77

Oh, consistency and his AMAZING first half of the second quarter against the Power. It was just magnificent.

Big Mac

Cripps and McCarthy the main competitors

Hogan is far better than McCarthy, takes way more marks and gets involved much more. McCarthy will probably kick more goals though with Cameron taking the no. 1 defender - Hopefully the selectors take this into account

Cripps is another who has been really consistent. Not getting the midfield minutes he needs though which I think will see him down the pecking order a bit

powersuperkents

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 01, 2015, 10:03:44 PM
Cripps and McCarthy the main competitors

Hogan is far better than McCarthy, takes way more marks and gets involved much more. McCarthy will probably kick more goals though with Cameron taking the no. 1 defender - Hopefully the selectors take this into account

Cripps is another who has been really consistent. Not getting the midfield minutes he needs though which I think will see him down the pecking order a bit
I would say
1. Hogan
2. McCarthy
3. Cripps

However I'm surprised Touk Miller hasn't done enough to receive a nomination yet. I would have him placed in equal 3rd with Cripps atm. The longer Heeney is out, the less likely a win for him will be. Brayshaw is another contender, however at this point I only see Hogan or McCarthy winning it (would easily give Jogan the benefit of the doubt)