Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 12, 2015, 09:47:51 AM
That McDonald guy goes alright

Indeed! Can't recall an errant kick either

Ricochet

Boys what happened?? Last I looked you were up comfortably and then came back after the game...
that 3rd quarter?

Mailman the 2nd

Mumford and GWS midfielders came at them and Melbourne just fell away and got smashed.

Guys like Tyson and Jones were already having below average games. Their talls in Hogan, Dawes and McDonald were dominating in the first half but once supply stopped they were dead in the water

Ricochet

Yeh ok, thanks mate. Couldn't believe the turn around when I saw the scores

Big Mac

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on April 12, 2015, 02:20:00 PM
Mumford and GWS midfielders came at them and Melbourne just fell away and got smashed.

Guys like Tyson and Jones were already having below average games. Their talls in Hogan, Dawes and McDonald were dominating in the first half but once supply stopped they were dead in the water

Dawes was shower lol

McDonald was great for the whole game though - destroyed Cameron even with the supply the GWS mids were giving him

Mailman the 2nd

Dawes was decent at the beginning

Purple 77

TMac's best moment was that beautiful spoil from the impossible position; running with the same direction as the ball to spoil Tomlinson I think it was... saved a goal.

Ricochet

Jeffy might need a lift to training from now on

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/footballers-brian-lake-jeff-garlett-in-court-on-driving-offences/story-fnii5smr-1227307691868

MELBOURNE player Jeff Garlett has been suspended from driving for 11 months after being nabbed drink-driving unlicensed while more than double the legal limit.

ossie85

Quote from: Ricochet on April 17, 2015, 12:26:55 PM

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/footballers-brian-lake-jeff-garlett-in-court-on-driving-offences/story-fnii5smr-1227307691868

MELBOURNE player Jeff Garlett has been suspended from driving for 11 months after being nabbed drink-driving unlicensed while more than double the legal limit.

If you are drink driving, and driving without a liscence... that should be jail time. 'Suspending from driving for 11 months' - he already didn't have a liscence! What's that do?

Big Mac

Quote from: ossie85 on April 17, 2015, 12:37:39 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on April 17, 2015, 12:26:55 PM

If you are drink driving, and driving without a liscence... that should be jail time. 'Suspending from driving for 11 months' - he already didn't have a liscence! What's that do?

Hey at least he showed up to court this time  :P

Barra13

I have come to realise this season that as unfortunate as it is for Mckenzie, we don't really need him in the side anymore. There have been now numerous guys in Cross, Vince and Viney that can do excellent hard tags on some of the best players and still win more ball than their direct opponent. I am actually really interested to see what will happen this Friday night against Richmond. Who will be given the job and who will be tagged? Vince? Cross? Martin? Cotchin? Ellis?

The tag will make an interesting watch each week for me now.

elephants

Reckon Viney would be a bloke that could one day break free of tagging duties though Barra? Is the offensive side of his game good enough? Or will he always be a defensive mid that wins his own ball? Similar to a Carrazzo in his prime?
Interested in your thoughts.

Big Mac

Quote from: elephants on April 20, 2015, 01:34:09 PM
Reckon Viney would be a bloke that could one day break free of tagging duties though Barra? Is the offensive side of his game good enough? Or will he always be a defensive mid that wins his own ball? Similar to a Carrazzo in his prime?
Interested in your thoughts.

I think the tagging duties are more of a learning experience for Viney at the moment

He will always be somewhat defensive though as it's in his nature

Barra13

Yes, you could put him in the same bracket as Jones as the hard nut inside midfielder. At the moment you could certainly put him into that Carrazzo bracket too. I loved what he used to be able to do. I don't think Viney will ever be that clearance winning, high possession machine. But you can bet your bottom dollar that he will always give 100% and make a contest out of it. The tagging duty on Ablett was definitely a learning experience of running patterns etc. Maybe 5/6 years later that may change, but that is what he is at the moment. You forget how young the guy actually is sometimes.

My Chumps

Definitely seeing similarities between Viney and a young Jones. Gives his all, disposable questionable and often tags. IIRC Jones did a couple of stellar jobs tagging Swanny in his prime on Queens birthday; I reckon it's just a bit of experience for Viney before he's unleashed in a couple of years.