Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 08, 2014, 11:46:43 PM
Quote from: Noz on December 08, 2014, 10:03:06 PM
Obviously Melbourne have done extremely well over the past couple of years so its pretty toughfor the 2 of the best young players in the country to get into the starting lineup.

Because we all know that success in the TAC cup translates directly to AFL  ::)
and melbourne have been prime at drafting high draft picks who can make an immediate afl impact :P

quinny88

Yeah I wouldn't actually be surprised if they held them back just to avoid the unwanted pressure and hype on them.

Noz

Obviously Melbourne have done extremely well over the past couple of years so its pretty toughfor the 2 of the best young players in the country to get into the starting lineup.

Oh and normally your team is jam packed with successful players.

If Brayshaw and Petracca both aren't in the lineup come round 1 then its a joke, These 2 are (behind Heeney) are the best players to have come out of this years draft, Baring any injury they are both ready for round 1.

quinny88

Quote from: Noz on December 09, 2014, 12:02:15 AM

If Brayshaw and Petracca both aren't in the lineup come round 1 then its a joke, These 2 are (behind Heeney) are the best players to have come out of this years draft, Baring any injury they are both ready for round 1.

Agree with Noz (sounds weird saying that) but Melbourne have been accused of throwing kids in the deep end and seeing them as saviours of the club and it's failed on every occasion so they may make a deliberate point to take it extra slow with them.
Still would be shocked if they don't both play round 1 but could understand the reasoning behind not playing them straight away

Big Mac

100% man I was agreeing with you. Everyone knows that if you can play well against other 18 year olds, you will have an immediate impact in the AFL. If you're drafted in the top 10, you don't even need to train. You're already better than those guys who have had 3  or 4 years in the system.

TeeJay

Melbourne supporters are so used to their high draft picks being flops that they don't want them to play just incase they turn out no good too  ;D ;D ;D

Noz

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 09, 2014, 12:17:15 AM

100% man I was agreeing with you. Everyone knows that if you can play well against other 18 year olds, you will have an immediate impact in the AFL. If you're drafted in the top 10, you don't even need to train. You're already better than those guys who have had 3  or 4 years in the system.

If your going to continue this smart remarks then theres no point in even continuing this conversation.

There are half a dozen blokes each yeah in the draft that are ready to go, They don't need 3/4 years in the system to adjust then go go straight from the get go and Petracca and Brayshaw are 2 of those players.

McCartin and Moore might not both be ready for round 1 as it takes key forwards a bit longer to adjust to the AFL system (learning running patterns, adjusting to the way there forward line works, etc)

Petracca, Brayshaw, Duggan, De Goey and Pickett re just some names that can go from round 1 next year. Boekhurst and Maynard are others

Ziplock

Quote from: TeeJay on December 09, 2014, 12:29:34 AM
Melbourne supporters are so used to their high draft picks being flops that they don't want them to play just incase they turn out no good too  ;D ;D ;D

maybe they wont play them because they'll be awesome, and they don't want everyone else to go- well, wtf happened with all those other top 5 picks?!?!?!

TeeJay

It's not about them being in the best 22 (which they probably are anyway) it's about getting as many games into them as soon as possible. They are the best young talent in the country. They will learn more in a week in the AFL than they will in 6 weeks running around in the magoos. Melbourne can't afford to sit around and wait to give their star kids a nice little ease into AFL footy like some of the top sides can do. There are no easy games for Melbourne and the sooner they are playing, the closer they will be to becoming consistent afl players and helping to make Melbourne a respectable club again

TeeJay

And are you really talking about guys like Newton and Michie being in the side ahead of them  :o
2 guys that make up the numbers. They have played about 10 games between them in 4 years.
You would be out of your mind to play them ahead of Petrecca and Brayshaw. Neeld might have gone with that option but I have faith that Roosey has more sense than that and will get his young guns on the park from round 1.

That's like saying the saints will hold off on Mccartin and play Tom Lee round 1 because he's got more experience

Nige

Quote from: TeeJay on December 09, 2014, 09:10:44 AM
And are you really talking about guys like Newton and Michie being in the side ahead of them  :o
The reason these two are so hyped and people are talking about them being in the side of Petracca and Brayshaw are because they actually are good enough. They weren't first round draft picks, Newton went at #35, Michie was #44. They worked hard and showed talent, but they originally played for Port and Freo respectively. Newton and Michie (once he got on the park after being dogged by injury for his first two seasons) dominated the SANFL and WAFL respectively, but couldn't break into the midfields to play a lot of games.

Purple 77

Quote from: TeeJay on December 09, 2014, 09:10:44 AM
2 guys that make up the numbers. They have played about 10 games between them in 4 years.
You would be out of your mind to play them ahead of Petrecca and Brayshaw. Neeld might have gone with that option but I have faith that Roosey has more sense than that and will get his young guns on the park from round 1.

That's like saying the saints will hold off on Mccartin and play Tom Lee round 1 because he's got more experience

Quote from: TeeJay on December 09, 2014, 09:03:50 AM
It's not about them being in the best 22 (which they probably are anyway) it's about getting as many games into them as soon as possible. They are the best young talent in the country. They will learn more in a week in the AFL than they will in 6 weeks running around in the magoos. Melbourne can't afford to sit around and wait to give their star kids a nice little ease into AFL footy like some of the top sides can do. There are no easy games for Melbourne and the sooner they are playing, the closer they will be to becoming consistent afl players and helping to make Melbourne a respectable club again

Valid points.

I guess I (and melb supporters) just want to see what Newton and Michie can do. They have/had a lot of hype when they came over, I guess Petraccattack and Brayshaw do too.

Noz

Big Mac

I just typed up like 3 paragraphs but then my page decided to refresh  :'(

Anyway, Brayshaw or Petracca may very well get a game in round one. But they aren't entitled to it just because "Melbourne are shower so any player could get a game there hahaha look at me I'm funny". They have to actually be one of the best 22 players at the club. And at the moment, Newton, Michie and Toumpas are ahead of them.

MTTY

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 09, 2014, 11:56:48 AM
I just typed up like 3 paragraphs but then my page decided to refresh  :'(

Anyway, Brayshaw or Petracca may very well get a game in round one. But they aren't entitled to it just because "Melbourne are shower so any player could get a game there hahaha look at me I'm funny". They have to actually be one of the best 22 players at the club. And at the moment, Newton, Michie and Toumpas are ahead of them.

Exactly ^

If we were playing a game tomorrow, they wouldn't be in the team. Which is my point, they both have things that have to be improved on, through the pre-season, if they are to play in round 1 and push past others. If they are able to do that then by all means they play round 1, if not then they won't.

They are not automatic selections at this point just because their bodies are ready made, they dominated U18s and are two highly touted prospects.