Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

I've stuck with them since pre 2000 might aswell tough it out further :P

Purple 77

What I get frustrated most with people who point out that it takes a long time, is that they mean it will take a long time to be truly successful. I know it will be, but that is the FURTHEST thing from my footy mind. What I expect in one summer, or what I expect quickly, is a competitive team with 3 or 4 proud wins in the season.

I cannot stress that enough. In fact I plead for people to understand. I'm not complaining its taken 8 years to get in the finals, I'm complaining that we haven't been a proud/competitive club for 8 years! (perhaps except 2010 and 2011 prior to 186)

So although I appreciate people like Toga and the countless others that have said stick it out, and that they have been through it as well, over the past so many years. And I mean this in a polite way, you really have no idea.

Have been whingey in this thread, apologies, but I needed the vent.

Ringo

Can understand your frustrations Purple and I am sure Melbourne will rebound.  It will take an aggressive approach to your list and trading but can be done. Jury is probably still out on the additions of Cross and Vince but at this stage they have been serviceable to you.

It is unfortunate that Dawes and Clark have been injured and in Clarks case a recruiting that may not come off if he retires completely. Injury to Hogan has also not helped.

You need to however retain Nathan Jones at all costs as he is the heart and soul of your club.

Know you have heard it before but stick with your team and although you will get frustrated it does turn around.  As I have said previously I started supporting Brisbane from Day 1 and there is nothing more frustrating than watching your side have 150 plus points put on them every second week. I stuck with the Bears then Lions and eventually saw finals and premiership.  Admittedly merger with Fitzroy helped us but it still took some time.

Keep the faith - Maybe a relocation may help eg South Melbourne to Sydney.  Melbourne to become Hobart Demons with priority access to Tasmanian players.

Big Mac

Have been trying to figure out what to post here for half an hour, but I think you guys have covered the magnitude of our situation. All I want to see is the team at least matching the aggression of their opponent, regardless of winning or losing.

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 09, 2014, 07:01:53 PM
Have been trying to figure out what to post here for half an hour, but I think you guys have covered the magnitude of our situation. All I want to see is the team at least matching the aggression of their opponent, regardless of winning or losing.

+1

Something to be proud of. Through whatever avenue, just something to be proud of.

Purple 77

Was looking at the Demonland forum, thought this was a special read:

"Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." - Morgan Freeman, 'The Shawshank Redemption' (1994).

Like many folk around here, Im currently low on morale and struggling to muster the usual optimism and energy for the fight. Were hardened supporters whove become experts at dealing with loss and adversity. Whilst I shake my head regularly at some of the stuff thats posted on Demonland, Im proud of my fellow Dees supporter. Its a tough gig and if any group of supporters had reason to walk away its us. Weve experienced one setback after another but we always bounce back. Or so I thought. The last three weeks, like others, Ive noted the uncharacteristic deflation and hurt that has clearly overwhelmed a band of posters Id normally associate with balance, optimism and good humour. Its one thing to be down about our current form but more disturbingly, its another to be flying the white with no hope for the future. A great many posters have made reference to mergers, relocation and death. And theyve done so in a manner that you normally associate with a terminal patient wanting to be put out of their misery. This concerns me greatly. Weve also heard posters talk about the plight of their children. Im about to turn forty and have two small children who I have no qualms in saying will definitely be Melbourne supporters and members. Ive had friends throw the child abuse jokes my way as well. I remember wearing the number two on the back of my Dees jumper in the early 80s in primary school and feeling very much alone.

In the minds of many the last three weeks and Mitch Clarks sad departure has been one kick in the guts too many. With Paul Roos, came an incredible tidal wave of hope. Expectations rose and hope morphed into genuine anticipation of improvement and wins. Paul Roos was like an adrenalin shot for failing fans and with the opening three losses weve relapsed and fallen into a hole of despair bigger than any weve experienced in the past. The timing and nature of Mitch Clarks affliction couldnt have been more symbolic of how the Melbourne masses must feel.

Hope can indeed drive a man insane or in our case, an entire football forum. Im not going to sit in judgment and Im certainly not going to stand on my soap box. Posters have every right to vent their anger and point the finger of blame but there comes a point when anaylzing and over-analyzing the ills of the past serves little purpose. Weve made our mistakes at the draft table, weve allowed a culture of mediocrity to emerge over the past eight seasons. Our decision makers have erred and the power mongers have divided rather than united. Weve lost loved ones, sacked coaches and been ridiculed for deliberately losing. We cant ignore the past but at some point we must move on. I think weve learnt from our mistakes and am confident weve got the appropriate structures now in place. The last piece of the puzzle, sadly, will be the team we send out onto the paddock each week.

So what am I asking? I guess Im asking for you to help each other out. Dont underestimate the power your individual posts can have on the shared psyche of the most passionate Demon supporters in the land. The group vibe right now is toxic. Talk of the club dying isnt productive. Repeatedly discussing past mistakes made by past regimes isnt productive. Slagging off young inexperienced players isnt productive. Abusing other posters who are in as much pain as you, isnt productive.

And if I can indulge in another reference to Shawshank Redemption, can I state my intent to personally get off the canvass yet again and re-commit to the club that has played such a huge role in my life. Put simply, theres no alternative. They had me from the first day I walked down the players race at the MCG as a seven year old attending a dreary, waterlogged training session. Im not going to allow this part of my life to die. Im going to find joy in the journey again and Im going to look forward to the next win and the next surge of adrenalin that only footy seems to provide. Theres a clear choice to make. As a supporter you can get busy living or get busy dying.

Although the poster doesn't know what an apostrophe looks like, it was a good read and, dare it be said, restored a little faith and perspective for me.

And contradictory to everything I've said in the past 3 weeks, I'm finally going to watch my beloved Dees LIVE for the first time next week! Although its a given loss to the Suns, but I'm damn excited all the same!

Mat0369

Not looking so bleak anymore.....

Mailman the 2nd

While everyone is saying how bad Carlton was, it requires at least a fantastic amount of pride and effort to beat any team by 30 points, especially in Melbourne's position.

I still think that on their day they aren't the bottom side in the competition

Mat0369

It also helped that they had a target or two up forward.

Toga

Capper

Go Dees, take that Carlton

Bill Manspeaker

Melbourne finally gets back on the winners list and all the talk is on how bad Carlton were and what needs to be changed. makes me sick

shows you the 'experts' only concentrate on the bad, instead of the good

(talking about the footy shows on Sunday)

Ziplock

Quote from: brad on April 13, 2014, 12:59:41 PM
Melbourne finally gets back on the winners list and all the talk is on how bad Carlton were and what needs to be changed. makes me sick

shows you the 'experts' only concentrate on the bad, instead of the good

(talking about the footy shows on Sunday)

let's be fair- carlton have been talking about finals... they deserve to have shower talked about them atm.

Bill Manspeaker

yeah no doubt zip, but why does it have to be the main focus? they're all waiting for Mick to lose his shower at the press conference, why not wait for Roos' press conference? I've seen Mick's one like 8 times, haven't seen Roosey's once. even if it wasn't Carlton, they'd still be focusing on the loser of the game

quinny88

Quote from: brad on April 13, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
yeah no doubt zip, but why does it have to be the main focus? they're all waiting for Mick to lose his shower at the press conference, why not wait for Roos' press conference? I've seen Mick's one like 8 times, haven't seen Roosey's once. even if it wasn't Carlton, they'd still be focusing on the loser of the game

Because we already knew Melbourne were shower. Carlton were meant to be good and have just lost to a team that they couldn't lose to. Bravo to Melbourne but a big club like Carlton with high expectations going into the season only to quickly be 0-4 and having just lost to the worst side in the comp will always be a bigger story than Melbourne winning. I'm glad the heats on Carlton. Stops the media sinking the boots in to Richmond for a couple of weeks :P