Main Menu

Richmond 2014 H&A discussion

Started by quinny88, March 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

elephants

Quote from: NigeyS on July 30, 2014, 08:41:54 AM
Great article by Tim Lane on the Vickery incident.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/three-culprits-in-vickerycox-incident-20140729-zy86y.html

Its all hindsight. Chances are the umps were blind sided anyway.

Regardless, see my point talking to Zip. Elbows to the guts happens 100s of times a season. Not every ruckman feels the need to KO the bloke ;)

Ziplock

Yeah, cox shouldn't have thrown an elbow in, but vickery's strike was a massive escalation and overreation.

quinny88

Quote from: elephants on July 30, 2014, 11:16:17 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/three-culprits-in-vickerycox-incident-20140729-zy86y.html

Regardless, see my point talking to Zip. Elbows to the guts happens 100s of times a season. Not every ruckman feels the need to KO the bloke ;)

Just watched the footage again, the ump saw it and even warned him after the elbow.
Why warn someone? Pay the free kick and get on with it. Whole situation would have been avoided.

Rusty00

Quote from: quinny88 on July 30, 2014, 12:11:31 PM

Just watched the footage again, the ump saw it and even warned him after the elbow.
Why warn someone? Pay the free kick and get on with it. Whole situation would have been avoided.
If we pay a free kick every time someone throws back an elbow/forearm into an opponent, there will be 200 free kicks a game.

Ziplock

Quote from: Rusty00 on July 30, 2014, 12:33:53 PM

If we pay a free kick every time someone throws back an elbow/forearm into an opponent, there will be 200 free kicks a game.

maybe for the first week, then players would stop being dirty little pricks :P

Forearms aren't really much of an issue- the increased area dissipates the force, and accidental forearms are always going to happen. It's a lot harder to accidentally elbow someone though.

quinny88

It wasn't just a soft little nudge though it was a big elbow. The umpires admitted that they should have paid a free kick

elephants

^

Jroo

Mackay
@superfooty: Cross another name off the free agency list as David Mackay signs a four-year deal with @Adelaide_FC

Toga

So apparently we are one of four teams interested in Bulldogs RFA Shaun Higgins... What are everyone's thoughts on him?

He's a classy enough player that's for sure but he has had so many injury troubles it makes me think it is a risky move... And not sure whether we have other areas of more need (although he won't cost us anything by way of draft picks)

Toga

Steve Morris ruled out for 1-2 weeks with a hand injury... http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-07-30/morris-to-miss

Wouldn't mind seeing Brad Helbig or Matt McDonough get a run as both have been playing down back in the two's, although Ricky Petterd is probably likely to come in if he recovers from his injury

Nige

Yep, I can see Ricky coming back in if fit to replace Morris, McDonough wasn't bad on the weekend though.

Quote from: Toga on July 30, 2014, 05:33:37 PM
So apparently we are one of four teams interested in Bulldogs RFA Shaun Higgins... What are everyone's thoughts on him?

He's a classy enough player that's for sure but he has had so many injury troubles it makes me think it is a risky move... And not sure whether we have other areas of more need (although he won't cost us anything by way of draft picks)

Yeah, after the Knights move hasn't exactly paid off and the Hampson trade either, not sure whether recruiting Higgins is the right move. However, I won't be disappointed if we do get him.

Nige

Liking what I've read and seen about Paul Ahern.

Could be a great option.

Ricochet

Not sure how much you can read into this but Hardwick on 3AW made this comment about ROK when talking about free agency

"A guy like Ryan O'Keefe, he's been playing in the NEAFL for 6 months. I'm sitting there going... Jeez, I wouldn't mind O'Keefe in my side"

Jroo

Quote from: Ricochet on July 31, 2014, 11:07:02 AM
Not sure how much you can read into this but Hardwick on 3AW made this comment about ROK when talking about free agency

"A guy like Ryan O'Keefe, he's been playing in the NEAFL for 6 months. I'm sitting there going... Jeez, I wouldn't mind O'Keefe in my side"
It's official, ROK to Richmond.  :P
I was thinking about this when I heard about ROK wanting to leave, but I really don't think we really need another slow midfielder, we already have Matt Thomas.