Main Menu

Richmond 2014 H&A discussion

Started by quinny88, March 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Not sure Az is straight best 22 fresh off an injury. Chuck McDonough in there, he's been working hard. Lloyd would be stiff to get the boot, probably him over McBean.

quinny88

yeah sorry I did Vlastuin twice. I would definitely have Newy

quinny88

I just think McBean needs a chance at it. We have to get through some of these kids to see which ones can play. We know what McDonough and Lloyd have to offer. Is it best 22? Probably not but they have shown enough to know they can play, now lets see what Lennon and McBean have to offer

Toga

The only thing I am worried about is that we will enter full rebuild mode again and just play kids, push our premiership window back yet again and let the cycle repeat :(

Nige

Yep, that's my exact fear.

I don't what to go the club to go into a mindset of 'oh well, our season is over'. Persist with whoever is showing something and make those that aren't pay the price and rewards the kids that way.

We really need to bridge the gap between our best (Cotch, Lids, Jack etc) and then those guys on the level below.

quinny88

Quote from: Toga on April 27, 2014, 08:24:59 PM
The only thing I am worried about is that we will enter full rebuild mode again and just play kids, push our premiership window back yet again and let the cycle repeat :(

Nah thats definitely not the case. This team is capable and talented. It was baisically the same list that got us to half a game away from 4th spot last year. We have had some bad luck with injury and some players horribly out of form. It can turn quickly.

We hit the lead against GC and the Dogs in the last quater, If we win those games and are 4-2 right now were about where you would think we would be. Not saying were playing ok because were not but I dont think we are that far off.

The problem we have is that we have too many players that only play well when the side is playing well. Guys like Grigg, Petterd, Shane Edwards etc. They have to be pushed out. They are not quality players they are just players that make up the 22. Im not saying to give them the ass all together but at least give them a spell, make them earn there spot with good form in the VFL and reward the guys that are playing well in the VFL

Nige

I totally get the idea of rewarding the guys playing well in the VFL, but I always wonder how detrimental chopping and changing the side week win, week out actually has.

quinny88

Quote from: NigeyS on April 27, 2014, 08:37:31 PM
I totally get the idea of rewarding the guys playing well in the VFL, but I always wonder how detrimental chopping and changing the side week win, week out actually has.

Yeah you are right but we have put ourselves in a hole now and have no choice. The season will be gone if we dont give it a try. Getting Maric, Rance, Lids back will be massive to the team structure. It sucks having Miles on the rookie list. He really needs to be given a chance.

kilbluff1985

TomK

It's funny you guys all hating on Grigg but he actually got named in the best players today. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-27/cyril-hawks-crush-tigers

quinny88

Quote from: TomK on April 27, 2014, 08:45:41 PM
It's funny you guys all hating on Grigg but he actually got named in the best players today. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-27/cyril-hawks-crush-tigers

He floated around the backline and gathered possessions so sure, stats wise he looks fine but he plays with no desperation or heart. Needs a spell imo

Toga

Yeah I like your points quinny! Just don't want to see the team completely flop, to be honest there's only the one game that we've lost that we definitely should have won and that was against the Doggies. All the others have been against quality sides so far, I think we're just a bit caught up in disappointment at being thumped by the Hawks today.

quinny88

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 27, 2014, 08:45:24 PM
will Lloyd get dropped guys

Definitely a chance but King is injured so that may save him.

Quote from: Toga on April 27, 2014, 08:47:56 PM
Yeah I like your points quinny! Just don't want to see the team completely flop, to be honest there's only the one game that we've lost that we definitely should have won and that was against the Doggies. All the others have been against quality sides so far, I think we're just a bit caught up in disappointment at being thumped by the Hawks today.

Yeah I think we will be alright. Just need to find the right mix and get some players back and some others back into form.
Today was bad but we certainly wont be the last team to get flogged by Hawthorn this year.

Toga

Quote from: TomK on April 27, 2014, 08:45:41 PM

That may be so but 0 tackles is a pretty damning statistic IMO - especially when 20/22 of our players today laid one tackle or more.

For the record I thought he was much better than Petterd & Jackson today.

Vinny

Just saw this on the AFL website just to add to your discussion.

Out-of-favour Richmond forward Ty Vickery booted three goals for the Tigers