Main Menu

WXV Discussion

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Hello! And welcome to a huge big wall of text.

It's award season, and rule change notifications.

First, with the rules:

The Cap

Everybody gave a lot of feedback, and hopefully this solution is okay with everybody.

Last year, the cap was 33,000 (total points scored by your players over the 17 WXV rounds). The final points for this year are:

Cairo: 33,692
Mexico City: 33,054
Sao Paulo: 31,841
Berlin: 31,649
London: 31,546
Toronto: 30,866
Cape Town: 30,303
PNL: 28,662
Moscow: 28,011
Seoul: 27,670
New York: 27,261
Dublin: 27,212
Buenos Aires: 25,926
Pacific: 25,596
Tokyo: 24,895
Wellington: 24,252
New Delhi: 21,231
Beijing: 19,565

Meaning only 2 clubs went over, and with delistings and retirements, probably not even then.

Propose to reduce to 31,500 maximum cap.

But it isn't just the best teams getting better that is causing unevenness in the competition. I'm also proposing to have a minimum cap (much like the AFL does), and that cap should be 24,000 - meaning New Delhi and Beijing need to trade for players (and not just trade for picks).

Trade Period

A lot of thought, and mostly the same as last year where:

It starts the day after the WXV Grand Final finishes.
Each Monday will send out a list of trades to be approved (compulsory vote).
6 negative votes stops the trade

BUT with one change. As Admin, and with no team to bias my decisions, propose that I also have a vote and that vote is worth 3. I.e. if 4 coaches vote against a trade, and I also vote against it, that is a total of 7 votes against and the trade fails. Also have the power to do it the other way (if 8 coaches vote against a trade I think is fair, I vote 'for' it, and total vote is 5, and is approved). I'll only vote for some of them.

Home Advantage

I haven't calculated final membership points yet (will do at end of season). But propose that this is how they impact Home Ground Advantaged.

Each team is ranked - the team with the most points given a ranking of 1, the least a ranking of 18.

Rank, Home Game Adjustment
1, 2
2, 1.9
3, 1.8
4, 1.7
5, 1.6
6, 1.5
7, 1.4
8, 1.3
9, 1.2
10, 1.1
11, 1.0
12, 0.9
13, 0.8
14, 0.7
15, 0.65
16, 0.6
17, 0.55
18, 0.5

What does this mean? If you are the 9th ranked, your home game adjustment is multiplied by 1.2. If your home game score was 40, this changes it to 40*1.2 = 48.

Hope that makes sense :/

I invite comments on all!

Holz

good stuff ossie and i really like the idea of a minimum cap, i feel its more importants than a maxiumum cap. only issue is long term injured players.

lower teams trading in someone like mitch clark would actually be a good move.

the only thing im not looking forward too is the membership bonus, will be devastated if i lose a game from it when really it has nothing to do with your team.

Nails

Finish 2nd on ladder, 6th smallest cap. Is that a moneyball approach? (I forgot)

Hmmm, time to find 6,000 points of players to add to the list somehow :o

Holz

Quote from: Nails on August 06, 2013, 01:07:21 PM
Finish 2nd on ladder, 6th smallest cap. Is that a moneyball approach? (I forgot)

Hmmm, time to find 6,000 points of players to add to the list somehow :o

not at all, its having no depth and being incredibly lucky playing all the weak teams when you post low scores.

Dublin uses the money ball approach, 12th most points yet was pumping out the biggest scores at the end of the year.

Nails

We did lose with a 152 to one of the weaker teams (Tokyo)

We didn't always get lucky. Posted a good score and lost to a team with their highest score of the season.

elephants

New Delhi with the second lowest cap, yet no priority pick! :( Trade us your guns... Please :)

Nige

Quote from: elephants on August 06, 2013, 02:23:04 PM
New Delhi with the second lowest cap, yet no priority pick! :( Trade us your guns... Please :)

You can have Danny Stanley and Chris Newman (still a gun at 31) for a pick (and a packet of chips).  :P

But yeah...

Over the cap.  :-X :( There are a few players I want to delist (I'm looking at you Ashton Hams, Jeremy Laidler and Rohan Bail) and we're looking to trade out a few players as well.

Just one thing. If the team that finishes first on membership points is like Mexico (for example) and the team that finishes last is Wellington (for example), is that unfair, shower luck or the fault of Wellington?

ossie85

Quote from: NigeyS on August 06, 2013, 02:39:25 PM

You can have Danny Stanley and Chris Newman (still a gun at 31) for a pick (and a packet of chips).  :P

But yeah...

Over the cap.  :-X :( There are a few players I want to delist (I'm looking at you Ashton Hams, Jeremy Laidler and Rohan Bail) and we're looking to trade out a few players as well.

Just one thing. If the team that finishes first on membership points is like Mexico (for example) and the team that finishes last is Wellington (for example), is that unfair, shower luck or the fault of Wellington?

Well, pothead is very punctual when submitting teams, but doesn't seem to do much else. So I'd say somewhere between 'shower luck' and the 'fault of Wellington'.

elephants

Done deal, where do I sign? :P

Toga

I'm not sure about the points minimum Oz, like I know where you're comin from as it will fast-track improvement, but Beijing is gonna be hit by a bunch of retirements at EOS so I'm worried we will struggle to being it up enough.

The picks we will get in return for the retirees will be too late to attract much attention I'd say... :-X

Nige

Quote from: elephants on August 06, 2013, 03:03:38 PM

You'll probably have to chuck in a player. :P And it better be the priority pick!  ;)

Quote from: Toga on August 06, 2013, 03:04:34 PM
I'm not sure about the points minimum Oz, like I know where you're comin from as it will fast-track improvement, but Beijing is gonna be hit by a bunch of retirements at EOS so I'm worried we will struggle to being it up enough.

The picks we will get in return for the retirees will be too late to attract much attention I'd say... :-X

That's why you cough up an earlier pick for a good player. ;D

elephants

Quote from: NigeyS on August 06, 2013, 03:10:06 PM
You'll probably have to chuck in a player. :P And it better be the priority pick!  ;)

Now you're just teasing me :'( WE DON'T HAVE A PRIORITY PICK! :( :P

ossie85

Quote from: Toga on August 06, 2013, 03:04:34 PM

Fair call Toga, its mostly stopping people from trading away all there players from picks (like happened a lot last year).

How about this as a slight adjustment?

Anyone who has less than 24,000 points can't do any trade that decreases there total points? (So Beijing can't trade a player for a pick, they would have to trade a pick for a player or a player for a better player/s).

Nige

Quote from: elephants on August 06, 2013, 03:13:13 PM
Quote from: NigeyS on August 06, 2013, 03:10:06 PM

Now you're just teasing me :'( WE DON'T HAVE A PRIORITY PICK! :( :P

;) Haha nah, we can sort something out.  :P

Purple 77

Everything sounds good oz! All I have to do is delist Setanta  ::)