Main Menu

2018 Mock Draft

Started by lachie_001, November 13, 2018, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lachie_001

Disclaimer: I don not have an extensive knowledge over the entire draft crop, I do like to stay up to date during the year and keep an eye on the top end of the draft. This is more what I think clubs will pick based on their needs, and not a power ranking. I did this last year and ended up being a bit off but I enjoyed doing it so hopefully I get closer with another crack. Anyway enjoy having a look! :)

21/11/2018 *UPDATED*

Koop

Hey lachie, good work on the Phantom, always nice to see a lot of differing opinions this time of year. :)

With Port, I'm going to be slightly miffed if we traded up only to nab Ben King, a guy who probably would've been available at our first pick if we hadn't traded up. I do agree that we need to bolster our key defensive stocks, but I can see that happening with potentially one of Hore or Wilkie in the rookie. Rozee has the outside class we need, and I'd assume one of him or Rankine will get through to 5.

As much as I like Hately, we've got enough stock of slow inside mids (Wines, SPP, Atley) that I can see us overlooking him. I assume Caldwell is gone here but someone with a burst of pace would be ideal.

I also can't see us nabbing Ian Hill, I'd love us to take Duursma if he's there at #15, I think he offers more of an all-round game than someone like Butters.

lachie_001

Quote from: Koop on November 13, 2018, 07:58:51 PM
Hey lachie, good work on the Phantom, always nice to see a lot of differing opinions this time of year. :)

With Port, I'm going to be slightly miffed if we traded up only to nab Ben King, a guy who probably would've been available at our first pick if we hadn't traded up. I do agree that we need to bolster our key defensive stocks, but I can see that happening with potentially one of Hore or Wilkie in the rookie. Rozee has the outside class we need, and I'd assume one of him or Rankine will get through to 5.

As much as I like Hately, we've got enough stock of slow inside mids (Wines, SPP, Atley) that I can see us overlooking him. I assume Caldwell is gone here but someone with a burst of pace would be ideal.

I also can't see us nabbing Ian Hill, I'd love us to take Duursma if he's there at #15, I think he offers more of an all-round game than someone like Butters.
Thanks! I like Duursma, and definitely think he's a chance to land at Port Adelaide. I certainly agree that Port need outside run and pace, Rankine would be perfect but I just can't see how Rankine makes it past 3. The reason I went King over Rozee is because I think 5 is just a little too early and the difference between Rozee and Hill is a lot smaller than King and the next key defender.

shaker

Yeah good stuff lachie your No.25 Ely Smith I reckon he will go much earlier I'm hoping he is still there for the Tiges 1st pick but kinda doubting he will be , he looks AFL ready body wise think he might be a bolter  ;)

Nige

Quote from: shaker on November 14, 2018, 03:43:03 PM
Yeah good stuff lachie your No.25 Ely Smith I reckon he will go much earlier I'm hoping he is still there for the Tiges 1st pick but kinda doubting he will be , he looks AFL ready body wise think he might be a bolter  ;)
Ely Smith looks good, but there a plenty of better players than him in the pool. I’d be surprised if he goes before 30.

Personally I’m hoping we get one of Liam Stocker, Chayce Jones or Riley Collier-Dawkins.

I’d much rather we take a good player who slips further than they should (liks Higgins) than take someone earlier than we should and leave a better player on the board.

shaker

Quote from: Nige on November 14, 2018, 04:46:08 PM
Ely Smith looks good, but there a plenty of better players than him in the pool. I’d be surprised if he goes before 30.

Personally I’m hoping we get one of Liam Stocker, Chayce Jones or Riley Collier-Dawkins.

I’d much rather we take a good player who slips further than they should (liks Higgins) than take someone earlier than we should and leave a better player on the board.
Yeah that's true but can see those 3 being snapped up before our 1st , always a few surprises in the draft and Smith is my tip to go a lot earlier than the 30 mark being touted.

lachie_001

I can see Smith dropping out of the top 30, however I'd be surprised if he was selected inside the top 20. I think Stocker is the most likely to get to Richmond of those you pointed out. I can't see Collier-Dawkins passing Adelaide's pick 20 and I think that theres a strong chance Jones will be selected in the top 10. I might post an updated version of this next week as we hear a little more.

Money Shot

Agree with your top 10 apart from 1 thing.

Port moved up into the top 5 for a reason and I think that was to secure some elite home grown talent. Rozee pick 5 which means that King will go to the Gold Coast with pick 6/7.

Apart from that I like it a lot.

shaker

AFL site draft machine is back pick top 10 with $10000 up for grabs , worth a stab  ;D

Cookie311993

Quote from: Money Shot on November 15, 2018, 12:52:53 PM
Agree with your top 10 apart from 1 thing.

Port moved up into the top 5 for a reason and I think that was to secure some elite home grown talent. Rozee pick 5 which means that King will go to the Gold Coast with pick 6/7.

Apart from that I like it a lot.

I agree. That’s the general consensus on the AFL site draft machine

Bill Manspeaker

I hope Gold Coast pick Ben, big chance he'll wanna join his brother at the Saints in a few years time

lachie_001

Just updated this and extended it out to 40 selections, happy to hear any criticism! :)

elephants

You don't say :P

Money Shot

For what it is worth this is my top 20. I haven't the draft hopefuls as much as previous years due to work but I think I've had a pretty good crack at the top 20.

Pick 1: Carlton - Sam Walsh
Pick 2: Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius
Pick 3: Gold Coast - Izak Rankine
Pick 4: St. Kilda - Max King
Pick 5: Port Adelaide - Connor Rozee
Pick 6: Sydney - Nick Blakey
Pick 7: Gold Coast - Ben King
Pick 8: Western Bulldogs - Bailey Smith
Pick 9: Adelaide - Jackson Hately
Pick 10: GWS - Jye Caldwell
Pick 11: Port Adelaide - Jordan Clark
Pick 12: GWS - Zak Butters
Pick 13: North Melbourne - Tarryn Thomas
Pick 14: Collingwood - Isaac Quayner 
Pick 15: Geelong -Chayce Jones
Pick 16: Adelaide - Riley Collier-Dawkins
Pick 17: Fremantle - Ian Hill
Pick 18: Port Adelaide - Liam Stocker
Pick 19: Adelaide - Luke Valente
Pick 20: Western Bulldogs - Rhylee West

Koop

My 2018 top 20 phantom as well

1. Carlton - Sam Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius
3. Gold Coast - Connor Rozee
4. St Kilda - Max King
5. Port Adelaide - Isaac Rankine
6. Sydney - Nick Blakey (GC bid matched)
7. Gold Coast - Jye Caldwell
8. Western Bulldogs - Bailey Smith
9. Adelaide - Ben King
10. GWS - Jackson Hately
11. Port Adelaide - Jordan Clark
12. North Melbourne - Tarryn Thomas (GWS bid matched)
13. GWS - Riley Collier-Dawkins
14. Geelong - Liam Stocker
15. Adelaide - Chayce Jones
16. Fremantle - Ian Hill
17. Port Adelaide - Xavier Duursma
18. Adelaide - Zac Butters
19. Western Bulldogs - Rhylee West (Richmond bid matched)
20. Richmond - Ely Smith

and rest of first round

21. Brisbane - Jez McLennan
22. North Melbourne - Bailey Scott (GWS bid matched)
23. GWS - Sam Sturt
24. West Coast - Xavier O'Halloran

I am one of the minority that doesn't expect a Quaynor bid to come in the first round.