Main Menu

Best 22 for 2019

Started by Ringo, October 18, 2018, 02:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Now that trading and drafting is over time to consider our best 22 for 2019. Will probably change a lot over the off season given the depth we now have.
based on the trades here is my first attempt.

B - Gardiner - Adams - Hodge
HB - Witherden - Andrews - Eagles
C - Berry - Neale - Rich
HF - Zorko - McStay - Cutler
F - Cameron - Hipwood - Mcarthy if fit
Fol - Martin - Rayner - Robinson
Int - Walker - McCluggage - Taylor - Matthieson
Eme - Big O - Bailey - Christensen - Robertson

I moved Andrews as I think he could be a McGovern type with his height and interceptions across half back.  Walker a must on bench as he can cover both forward and back. Moved Rich up the ground as I believe when he realises he is under pressure to keep his spot rather than coasting he can be very damaging on the wing with his boot.
McCarthy comes straight in as in the games I have seen him play he exerts the forward pressure which we lacked when Cameron was injured so would be great to have 2 up there.

Other Players I expect to be considered during the season Starcevich. Skinner, Wooller, Cox, Payne
Playing for their futures would be Allison, Lyons, Keays, Hinge and Lester.
Expect Bastinac and Frost to be de-listed at end of their contracts.

Also with Stef out of contract next year and being 32 we should be working on which of McInerney or Archie to replace or do both play.

GoLions

Lester re-signed for a year btw ringo

Will put my 22 up later today

SilverLion

FB: Hodge, Adams, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Andrews, Witherden
C: Cutler, Neale, McCluggage
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner
FF: Taylor, McStay, McCarthy
FOLL: Martin, Zorko, Robinson
Int: Berry, Christensen, Walker, Mathieson
Emg: McInerney, Lester, Robertson/Eagles, Bastinac/Bailey

GoLions

Quote from: SilverLion on October 19, 2018, 10:20:28 AM
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Rayner
FF: Taylor, McStay, McCarthy
FOLL: Martin, Zorko, Robinson
Int: Berry, Christensen, Walker, Mathieson
Emg: McInerney, Lester, Robertson/Eagles, Bastinac/Bailey
Close to what i was gonna post. On phone, but:
Walker out for Bailey (unless going taller in certan games)
Christensen to half back
Rich to wing
Clugg on ball
Robbo bench
And probably switch Squizz with Charlie, cause he will push up the ground more imo

Ringo

Not a lot of difference in teams just positional changes, And nice position for club to be in.

Walker or McInerney have to be in as one of them will give Stef a chop out.  Still concerned with need to develop our next ruck and the issue is how to do it. Obviously is Big O and Archie, Archie is by far the best tap ruck but lacks mobility around the ground whereas Big O gives the mobility. They worked well together in our NEAFL premiership year.

In my team would team Bundy with Eagles as a needs basis whether to go tall or not.  Bundy in the later have of the season seemed to reinvent himself across half back.

Nige

Modern game needs a mobile ruck and the new ruck rules mean that rucks don't necessarily have to tap as much. I think Oscar McInerney is far and away a better option long term than Archie Smith all things considered, and he's not that bad as a forward either.

BB67th

It would be nice to see Rich move up to a wing next year full time. With the new starting positions he could finally find himself having more of an impact on games and breaking free of a tag?

Surely McInerney gets a spot in the 22. He made a good forward presence this season and I'd say he is the future over Archie at this stage. Does he fit into the forward line? Is it too much to have McStay, Hipwood and the Big O running around in the 50 at once?

Couple those three with Cameron, Taylor and McCarthy, and we have a very exciting forward line shaping up.

GoLions

Quote from: BB67th on October 22, 2018, 09:48:19 PM
It would be nice to see Rich move up to a wing next year full time. With the new starting positions he could finally find himself having more of an impact on games and breaking free of a tag?

Surely McInerney gets a spot in the 22. He made a good forward presence this season and I'd say he is the future over Archie at this stage. Does he fit into the forward line? Is it too much to have McStay, Hipwood and the Big O running around in the 50 at once?

Couple those three with Cameron, Taylor and McCarthy, and we have a very exciting forward line shaping up.
I reckon it's too tall personally. Hipwood is a lock in the team, and there was an interview (with Noble I think?) after we got Adams, and they spoke about the Adams inclusion meaning one of him or Andrews could go forward at times to help out Hipwood and McStay. Oscar will play games here and there, but I don't see it happening regularly if everyone is fit.

Ringo

Here is the AFL writers best 22 fro Brisbane.

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Luke Hodge
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden
C: Tom Cutler, Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Lewis Taylor, Eric Hipwood, Cameron Rayner
F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Oscar McInerney
FOLL: Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry
I/C: Lincoln McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen, Nick Robertson
Unlucky to miss selection are Josh Walker, Zac Bailey, Rhys Mathieson and Ryan Lester,

Bring on the preseason and the competition for places.  Eagles will be another who would be in the mix. 

elephants

Quote from: GoLions on October 22, 2018, 09:53:37 PM

I reckon it's too tall personally. Hipwood is a lock in the team, and there was an interview (with Noble I think?) after we got Adams, and they spoke about the Adams inclusion meaning one of him or Andrews could go forward at times to help out Hipwood and McStay. Oscar will play games here and there, but I don't see it happening regularly if everyone is fit.

There is this team that won the flag this season with a tall forward line comprising of resting ruck, Kennedy, Darling...

GoLions

Quote from: elephants on October 23, 2018, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: GoLions on October 22, 2018, 09:53:37 PM

There is this team that won the flag this season with a tall forward line comprising of resting ruck, Kennedy, Darling...
Hipwood and McStay are not Kennedy and Darling though haha

crowls

Quote from: Ringo on October 23, 2018, 07:34:41 AM
Here is the AFL writers best 22 fro Brisbane.

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Luke Hodge
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden
C: Tom Cutler, Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Lewis Taylor, Eric Hipwood, Cameron Rayner
F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Oscar McInerney
FOLL: Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry
I/C: Lincoln McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen, Nick Robertson
Unlucky to miss selection are Josh Walker, Zac Bailey, Rhys Mathieson and Ryan Lester,

Bring on the preseason and the competition for places.  Eagles will be another who would be in the mix.
strong backline,  your forwards and on ballers need to step up next year

SilverLion

HF: Taylor, Hipwood, Rayner
FF: Cameron, McStay, McCarthy
FOLL: Martin, Zorko, J Lyons
Int: Berry, Christensen, Robinson, Walker
Emg: McInerney, Lester/Robertson, Mathieson, Bailey
In: J Lyons
Out: Mathieson

Updated.

Probably agree with GL about Squizz playing more up the ground. Any of those emergencies could easily start too, so theres definitely competition for spots.

Lyons guaranteed best 22, so Mathieson probably goes out.

shaker

Quote from: SilverLion on November 01, 2018, 02:58:59 PM

Updated.

Probably agree with GL about Squizz playing more up the ground. Any of those emergencies could easily start too, so theres definitely competition for spots.

Time will tell with Lyons certainly has some deficiencies in his game , getting let go by the struggling Suns says it all this will be his last chance.

elephants

Quote from: shaker on November 02, 2018, 12:21:55 PM
Quote from: SilverLion on November 01, 2018, 02:58:59 PM

Updated.

Time will tell with Lyons certainly has some deficiencies in his game , getting let go by the struggling Suns says it all this will be his last chance.

Haha laughable, he had clearly offended someone at the Suns. He's a walk up start in most if not all 22s, especially the absolute rabble that is GC.