WXV Awards Night 2018

Started by Levi434, July 26, 2018, 12:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi434

Purple 77

Hype hype hype!

I'll be tallying up the votes this weekend for you to work with Levi  8) (also coz I wanna know if the winner comes down to this weekends performance, and I wanna ride that drama train live)

Levi434

Rule Change Proposals:

1.   Items for Discussion
          1.1    Winning Bonus

Motion:   Players from the winning team in each respective game will receive a 5% bonus, prior to votes being distributed.

Background:   As we know, in the AFL's Brownlow system players are more likely to receive votes from the winning team.
          A number of reasons for this could include:
          -   The vote givers determining that the vote receiver did more to help their team win.
          -   If a player from the losing team has a great game, on occasion it can be neglected aka "Putting up points for a bad team."

1.2    Position Bias

Motion:   Apply a formula (magic number) to equal out all positional averages prior to votes being counted.

Background:   Midfielders average higher than other positions and this in turn affects how easily it is for them to score votes.
          -   In many instances a 90+ score from a defender or forward is more valuable than a 100 from a midfielder.
          -   There has also never been an instance of a defender or forward winning the Stynes/Ablett Medal.

-   All items are open for discussion.
          -   Items can be amended.
          -   Other items can be added to the agenda but must be seconded by Levi.

Holz

Positon bias in big favour of, shouldn't be huge though.

JBs-Hawks

1.1 - really like

1.2 - Think forwards and defenders should get some form of multiplier, not so much that they are 100% equal to midfielders.

Ringo

Like 1.2 but not 1.1 as it will disadvantage players in lower teams possibly causing the BOG to be overtaken by a player in the winning team.

Need to decide the weighting for 1.2 eg the factor should be 1.2 as 90 becomes 108.  Personally think this is the better rule of the 2.

iZander

Quote from: Holz on July 27, 2018, 12:17:19 PM
Yeah i dont mind the position bias but it might be hard to calculate a fair one

Not in favor of of winning team nonsense, cause unlike actual AFL how the team performs has no impact how an individual player goes

meow meow

Quote from: iZander on July 27, 2018, 12:52:27 PM
Quote from: Holz on July 27, 2018, 12:17:19 PM
Yeah i dont mind the position bias but it might be hard to calculate a fair one

Not in favor of of winning team nonsense, cause unlike actual AFL how the team performs has no impact how an individual player goes
It's not difficult to calculate. I've already shown that +8 is the magic number.

Toga

Nige

Not a huge fan of the first one, the second is alright though.

Purple 77

I'll probably say this for the first ever time, and shy away from any rule changes, simply to keep the medal consistent to prior years.

But aware that I only have one vote:

Not sure I like the extra 5% bonus for winners, simply because of the fact that a 110 is a bigger contribution that a 105, and thus the player who gets 105 shouldn't get the nod over someone who scored more.

However, I reckon I could get behind the notion if two players tied on a score, that the player on the winning team gets the nod for a vote.

E.g. If Jimmy Toumpas scores 130, Lucas Cook score 117 and Jordan Gysberts scores 117, and Cook was on the winning team and Gysberts wasn't, then Cook would get 2 votes and Gysberts 1, instead of it being allocated randomly.

I think positional adjustments is an inexact science, and remain pessimistic that a fair and just formula could be developed. But I remain open minded nonetheless.

RaisyDaisy

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but will either of these make a difference? Titch is winning either way

Levi434

In preparation for everyone's favourite Superlatives, I've compiled a list of the most prominent superlative winners!

WXV Superlative Award Counter:
Purple 776
Holz5
Hellopplz4
meow meow4
Levi4343
AaronKirk2
GoLions2
RaisyDaisy2
Ricochet2
Boomz1
Dazburg1
JBs-Hawks1
Ringo1
Toga1
Torpedo101

Purple 77 absolutely cleaning up, winning over 21% of the awards so far! Holz closely in 2nd place with 5. A few coaches (Namely Nige) will be upset not to have won any so far. Those would be looking to break their duck this year.