WXV Round 3: New Delhi & Beijing to respond?

Started by Purple 77, April 03, 2018, 09:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Normal week! Normal lockout! Woot!

Round 3, AFL Round 3

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Dublin DestroyersToronto WolvesCrooke Park5  v  1
New Delhi TigersCairo SandsTata Stadium3  v  3
PNL ReindeersSeoul MagpiesState de France, EurAsia2  v  4
Pacific IslandersBuenos Aires ArmadillosLinkbelt Oval, AAP Alliance2  v  4
Berlin BrewersRio de Janeiro JaguarsBerlin Olympic Stadium2  v  1
Mexico City SunsChristchurch SaintsFireball Stadium, AAP Alliance2  v  2
Beijing ThunderMoscow SpetsnazBeijing Olympic Park, EurAsia2  v  5
Cape Town CobrasLondon RoyalsNewlands Cricket Ground5  v  1
New York RevolutionTokyo SamuraiMetLife Stadium5  v  1

This one will be a rippa! I'd normally be inclined to put the MOTR title on it, but Toronto had that last week. Dublin has so far produced two scores of 150+ where they have been - like last year - flying without a safety net in that it would receive VERY LITTLE support from its 16th player should the need arise. What can I say, it's a premiership winning strategy! The Wolves have been equally impressive, joining the Destroyers in claiming the NDT scalp by scoring 150+. Should Toronto win... I'd say they'd could be a minor premiership shot! I like them here actually! The Wolves at Crooke Park!

The Tigers have had it tough the past two weeks, where Toronto & Dublin pumped them with 150+ scores. That's forgivable. But what wouldn't be is the 126 they dished out last week. Is the window over? Out to prove that it could be (but isn't) is the Cairo Sands, who'd be hoping for a few more Jeff Garlett's this week to push them over the 130+ mark. The Tiges in this one.

I fished out a game the other day, where Wellington defeated New Delhi 104 - 97. That was the worst game that became easily apparent in my memory. Well, the winning scoreline of 103 - 97 is officially worse than that, and PNL will claim it. Yuck. Their opponents this week scored 760 more points than PNL did last week. It was the highest score seen since the dominant Dublin machine of 2015 was pumping them out. Breathtaking. Seoul, by a lot.

If it weren't for Seoul, we'd be talking about Pacific. The Islanders have produced 151 and 162 so far, seemingly rocking the Dublin strat of going large with little support from the 16th man should the need arise. Buenos Aires would be thrilled with their win last week, and bagging home WXVs second - and their second - Rising Star nomination in Tom Doedee. The Dillos will get a look at what they could be in the future this week, but they aren't that now. Islanders for me.

Berlin felt sluggish to me last week, so I was rapt to see us score 144 on the back of another great performance from our forward line. But as Toronto, Pacific, Seoul, Dublin and Christchurch have shown, I'll need to add 10 points to my game if I want my Brewers to be taken seriously as premiership contenders. The Jags would surely be quietly pleased with their performances so far - 132 & 128 - given the outlooks some gave them for the year. And really, there is room to improve on that... they'll be in with a genuine shot most weeks this year; this is a real danger game for Berlin. But I'll back us to win.

WXVs got a bit more of an understanding with where Mexico City is at; a promising starting 12, but the others on the list aren't quite up to it. I expect the Suns to jag a win or two this year, but they are currently in the conversation for the wooden spoon favourite. The Saints have been struck down - like their coach - already losing Scully & Libba for most of the year. But the Saints rose up - again, like their coach - from death, and STRUCK DOWN their opponents in a fiery blaze of points. Christchurch have been one of the most impressive teams so far this year, and I don't see that stopping. The Saints will win this one.

I'm all about the stakes and perceptions of this game, so I'm titling it my MATCH OF THE ROUND! Lucky getting the win against Tokyo last week, the Thunder have regardless been the most disappointing team this season IMO. After a season of misfortune last year, it was felt that the Thunder would deliver this year... maybe it's just not meant to be? Meanwhile the Spetsnaz refuse to let adversity slow them down, posting admirable scores of 130+ in the face of key LTIs. A perfect benchmark for Beijing I feel, and I reckon we'll see them respond this week. Beijing for me.

The Cobras would be ruing Duncan 'doggin the boys' last week against the Dillos, in what would have previously been written down as a win. From our sample size of two games, not a lot seems to have changed from last year. But, with patience will come rewards for this talented young list, and we'll see what they can really do soon enough. Meanwhile over at London... well, whilst Seoul posted the biggest score since 2015, London posted the lowest score since Tokyo's 966 in Round 16, 2015. To make matters worse, vice-captain Shaun Burgoyne has pinged a hammy. I don't know what to say, other than to not give up, because a repeat of London's 125 in Round 1 might get themselves a win against Cape Town. But, I'm tipping the Cobras to go 130+ and bank the win here.

The Revolution put in an admirable effort against a strong Dublin side, suggesting that if Ryder, JJK, Hanley and an in-favour Dunstan were playing, they'd give the top 4 a shake. Alas, it is not to be, so just focusing on what's in front of you is the strat until then. The Samurai are fighting for respect, and last week was a very positive step in the right direction. Although 125 is not a world beating score, it still would have beaten 6 sides last week, so really 125-135 is the goal for Tokyo right now and if they do that, I actually would expect them to notch at least 5-7 wins for the year, with the potential to fluke a few more and be in the finals mix! I actually give them a sneaky chance here... why not! Tokyo for me!

Hellopplz

DazBurg

Quote from: Hellopplz on April 04, 2018, 01:58:11 AM
This ain't gonna be pretty
Yup Seoul got some work to do, tough one for them they have been a little poor this year :P :P

Holz

Dublin Goldy's

Def: Alex Rance, Steven May, Ed Vickers Willis, Oscar McDonald,
Mid: Dustin Martin (C), Rory Sloane, Joel Selwood, Nick Holman
Ruc: Todd Goldstien
Fwd: Jack Gunston, Justin Westhoff, Jack Reiwoldt, Brett Deledio
Uti: Stephen Hill +10%, Tom Hawkins

Emg: Phil Davis, Jack Henry, Braydon Preuss

GoLions

Quote from: Holz on April 04, 2018, 10:27:08 AM
Dublin Goldy's

Uti: Stephen Hill +10%, Jack Gunston

May as well just name Dusty twice too while you're at it smh

Holz

Quote from: GoLions on April 04, 2018, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: Holz on April 04, 2018, 10:27:08 AM
Dublin Goldy's

Uti: Stephen Hill +10%, Jack Gunston

May as well just name Dusty twice too while you're at it smh

I did

Dustin Martin (C)

I have had 2 Dusty's all season.

Levi434

Can we add the rule so you can rest 3 players? Berlin look like they should do that this week.

Boomz

Tokyo Samurai
Def: Johannisen, Short, Plowman, Dea
Mid: Ross (VC), Whitfield (C), Cotchin, Hoskin-Elliott
Ruc: Lycett
Fwd: Cameron, Cripps, Ryan, Dunkley
UT: Phillips, Young
EMG: Impey, Thomas, Corr

Purple 77

Quote from: Levi434 on April 04, 2018, 04:57:48 PM
Can we add the rule so you can rest 3 players? Berlin look like they should do that this week.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to my 16th-18th players :P

Toga

Beijing Thunder:
D: B.Ellis, S.Mayes, T.Jonas, J.Aish
M: L.Neale (CC), O.Wines (CC), D.Zorko, C.Ward
R: B.Grundy
F: T.Walker, K.Lambert, L.Breust, M.Cox
IC: D.Howe, T.Rockliff

Emg: D.Butler (f), T.Clurey (d), E.Wood (d)

Nige

I wonder if we'll go all season without being tipped.

GoLions

Kate Upton Cobras

D: Luke McDonald, Callum Mills, Aaron Mullett, Jake Carlisle
M: Mitch Duncan, Brad Ebert, Mark Blicavs, Ben Cunnington
R: Toby Nankervis
F: Tom Papley, Lewis Taylor, Alex Neal-Bullen, Kieren Jack
U: Touk Miller, David Mackay
E: Zach Guthrie, Jonathan O'Rourke, Daniel Venables

C: Mitch Duncan
VC: Toby Nankervis

I can name ZGuthrie emg yeah Purps? flower my players are dropping like flies atm.

Purple 77

Quote from: Nige on April 04, 2018, 07:26:56 PM

Could happen.

Quote from: GoLions on April 04, 2018, 08:52:04 PM
I can name ZGuthrie emg yeah Purps? flower my players are dropping like flies atm.

Yarp. No need to promote rookies anymore  :)

GoLions

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 04, 2018, 08:54:09 PM

Could happen.

Quote from: GoLions on April 04, 2018, 08:52:04 PM

Yarp. No need to promote rookies anymore  :)
Cheers

ZGuthrie > Joel Smith confirmed

Holz

In fairness your last are playing a likely top 4 team.

Dublin been tipped against twice and i havent lost since i tanked round 23 to get the bye in the first round of the finals.