Main Menu

Port Discussion thread 2018

Started by PowerBug, March 24, 2018, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Good start with a win, big worry with the Ryder injury however. I felt super happy with Watts kicking the first goal of the game, of him, Motlop and Rockliff he was the one I really wanted us to secure so it felt good seeing him show his worth early. Motlop's two goals were nice and he got the crowd involved too, same when Rocky kicked his goal :)

Onto Sydney next week now, without our ruckman though :'(

BB67th

Any word yet on how bad Ryder's injury is?

PowerBug

Quote from: BB67th on March 24, 2018, 09:53:34 PM
KH: I think Paddy will miss a little bit of time, I don’t have any details but he does have some history #pafclive
KH: We have some great options in the forward line, which is very pleasing in the coaches box #pafclive

That's all we have at the moment.

BB67th

Quote from: PowerBug on March 24, 2018, 10:25:50 PM
KH: I think Paddy will miss a little bit of time, I don’t have any details but he does have some history #pafclive
KH: We have some great options in the forward line, which is very pleasing in the coaches box #pafclive

That will make for interesting ruck situation for the Power. Who would be expected to play first ruck next week with no more Lobbe or Trengrove?

nas

Quote from: BB67th on March 24, 2018, 10:52:00 PM

That will make for interesting ruck situation for the Power. Who would be expected to play first ruck next week with no more Lobbe or Trengrove?

Westhoff with Howard assisting.

Nige

Quote from: nas on March 25, 2018, 11:55:40 AM

Westhoff isn't a ruck though and basically was BOG yesterday floating around as a utility and Doogz has proved he's a good defender. Billy Frampton's been in the system for 4 years now, time for him to show he's the future with Hoff/Dixon/Doogz pinch hitting if/when need be.

That's what makes sense to me from the outside looking in.

nas

Quote from: Nige on March 25, 2018, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: nas on March 25, 2018, 11:55:40 AM

Westhoff isn't a ruck though and basically was BOG yesterday floating around as a utility and Doogz has proved he's a good defender. Billy Frampton's been in the system for 4 years now, time for him to show he's the future with Hoff/Dixon/Doogz pinch hitting if/when need be.

That's what makes sense to me from the outside looking in.

Another is Peter Ladhams. http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/player-profile/peter-ladhams
The ruckman was taken in the rookie draft after being one of SA's more promising options in 2016. Port's tallest player for some time, Ladhams will take time to develop like all ruckmen.
Spent time Forward mostly last year in the SANFL.

Think the opportunity is there for Billy to grasp his chance if selected.

PowerBug

Looking at what we had yesterday, I essentially agree with Nig. Dixon we want up forward as the main target, Dougal we want in defence, and Hoff can't play 1R. I doubt we will make Watts play 1R as it throws out the balance, so expect to see a proper ruckman be given a shot.

However with the return of Gray, and the lack of ruckman in the Sydney side, it would not surprise me if our only change next week is Ryder for Gray and we roll smaller for the one week.

Koop

Quote from: PowerBug on March 25, 2018, 06:11:25 PM
However with the return of Gray, and the lack of ruckman in the Sydney side, it would not surprise me if our only change next week is Ryder for Gray and we roll smaller for the one week.

Yeah this is what I'm expecting too. Good win first up by the boys though!

PowerBug

So we're going to roll with Westhoff doing the bulk it seems, then Howard, Dixon and WINES will be helping out when required. I expect we will try to roll for as long as possible, so my guess is against Sydney and Brisbane we will roll this way, but then for the Essendon game Frampton will come in.

powersuperkents

I know people talk about GWS' squad but the Power are looking like a genuine super team (these young players are guns - Marshall, SPP, Houston, Howard, Bonner, and Clurey + Dom Barry has been good at applying pressure). Hopefully they can keep this up  ;D

I'm happy with all the star recruits thus far (Rockliff is tackling and he was never going to get the same disposal count in the Port Adelaide midfield as he did in the Brisbane lineup (not knocking Brisbane though, just their pre-Fagan midfield which was originally either him and Redden or him, Beams & Zorko)

Koop

Good win. Motlop really starting to warm on me tbh. Wines showed why he's worth the big money, and Dougal was really impressive for me despite conceding four. Think the kid really has a bright future.

Carn the Pear!

PowerBug

Carn the Pear, great win, great performance after HT against a great team.

kilbluff1985

powersuperkents

Quote from: Koop on April 01, 2018, 08:20:52 PM
... Motlop really starting to warm on me tbh
+1

He was the recruit I was originally least excited by, however, he has been very impressive.

Structurally, Watts would be the most important of the three but Motlop has still been the best to date (two solid games)

People denigrated Port last season, labeling them 'flat-track bullies' (which wasn't 100% correct because we did beat Sydney and West Coast (and I want to count that rigged match against Geelong), however, the same was said about West Coast in 2014 but look what happened in 2015 (and they didn't beat a single top 8 side in 2014).

Last year was refreshing due to the fact that it was Port's most consistent season under Hinkley (along with 2013) - they didn't drop a single game (something that the eventual premiers did when they lost to Freo & St Kilda).

Obviously, the next step in the team's development is knocking off the top tier clubs so, hopefully, this game is a sign of things to come. 

I think the showdown will provide a good indication of how the side may fare during finals game this season