Supercoach 2018 - Ruck Strategy

Started by DCAK, December 09, 2017, 09:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCAK

With the release of the SC 2018 Team Picker it's now clear (to me) that ruck coverage is going to be a problem this year as opposed to previous years.  I've always started the season with three playing ruckmen, either at R1/R2/R3 or R1/R2 with R3 DPP linked to FWD DPP to donut-proof my team.  With Ryder & Nank losing DPP status the only worthwhile FWD/RUCK DPP options are gone (IMO).  Also, I can't see any likely breakout rookie Rucks worth selecting at R3 (ala Preuss, Darcy, Witts from 2017).

I'm so angry that the folks at SC have decided Rory Lobb is not a ruck, WTF are they smoking? My plan had been to have Lobb as a FWD/RUCK DPP link to a tactical donut ruck DPP.

Has anyone else given the matter consideration? What's your plan? Kurt Tippett (yikes)???

RaisyDaisy

Ricochet

Oscar McInerny will be Brissies #1 ruck next year apparently

But yeh we're just going to have to hope a rookie steps in to give us something at R3

Ringo

Maybe an overkill but at the moment have English at R3 and Hayes at F8 both FR that can interchange. But will probably change anyway.

Had initially thought of playing Roughead at R2 with English R3 but decided too risky.

Also thinking of McInerney at R3 with Stef R1.

meow meow

Gotta go Sauce and Grundy since they're the most likely to play 22.

Ricochet

Quote from: meow meow on December 09, 2017, 07:56:41 PM
Sounds like Grundy could spend a bit more time fwd next year. Might hurt his scoring a bit

DCAK

Quote from: meow meow on December 09, 2017, 07:56:41 PM

I don't know mate, if the Pies persist in playing Cox (who they re-signed, plus they re-signed Buckley who seems to favour Cox, plus Jesse White is gone, plus they didn't recruit any other KP Fwd) I think Grundy's scoring potential with be hampered.

PiPies

Bucks has come out and said they will play Cox more this year. Last season Grundy averaged 81.7 with Cox in the team over 7 games and averaged 105.6 when Cox wasn't playing. Big red flag for me.

DCAK

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 09, 2017, 02:31:51 PM
Tim English at R3

Not sold on Tim English's prospects, 2 games last year @ 33 & 37 points. Behind Jordan Roughead, Tom Campbell and potentially Jackson Trengove in line for ruck duties, plus I can't see why the Doggies would be in a hurry to throw a 20 year old, 205cm / 87kg stick insect into the ruck against the big units from opposing clubs, risking injury.

shaker

Ryder and Gawn for me at this early stage and will see what happens with R/3 closer to the season

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: DCAK on December 10, 2017, 09:03:22 AM
Tim English at R3

Not sold on Tim English's prospects, 2 games last year @ 33 & 37 points. Behind Jordan Roughead, Tom Campbell and potentially Jackson Trengove in line for ruck duties, plus I can't see why the Doggies would be in a hurry to throw a 20 year old, 205cm / 87kg stick insect into the ruck against the big units from opposing clubs, risking injury.

Yeah I think I posted that without giving it much thought

The reality is we have no fwd/rucks who are worth starting, so we need to adjust our strategy and be prepared to use trades on our starting rucks if need be

Fingers crossed a rookie option pops up, but if it doesn't then it's just straight up YOLO with Gawn and NN

Gigantor

Quote from: shaker on December 10, 2017, 02:40:32 PM
Ryder and Gawn for me at this early stage and will see what happens with R/3 closer to the season

Yeah I'm cooling on NicNat at the moment with the complete lack of ruck coverage. There is no way he is playing 22 with Lycett and Vardy available to give him a rest

shaker

Quote from: Gigantor on December 10, 2017, 04:02:04 PM
Quote from: shaker on December 10, 2017, 02:40:32 PM

Yeah I'm cooling on NicNat at the moment with the complete lack of ruck coverage. There is no way he is playing 22 with Lycett and Vardy available to give him a rest
Nic Nat always seems to spend a lot of time on the bench and coming off a knee reco can only see that being increased in the early part of the season that is my reason for not starting him  ;)

DCAK

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 10, 2017, 03:59:54 PM
Quote from: DCAK on December 10, 2017, 09:03:22 AM
Tim English at R3

Yeah I think I posted that without giving it much thought

The reality is we have no fwd/rucks who are worth starting, so we need to adjust our strategy and be prepared to use trades on our starting rucks if need be

Fingers crossed a rookie option pops up, but if it doesn't then it's just straight up YOLO with Gawn and NN

Hahaha YOLO! That's gold!

crowls

Yeah Nic Nat spends a lot of time on the bench think it will increase coming off a knee reco plus Vardy seems to be over his injuries
Would appreciate feedback from the Eagles followers on their thoughts about how NicNat will be used this year.  Especially in regard to being rested or low TOG affecting his SC scoring averages and totals.    For a set and forget ruck the aim is low of 2100 total and 2400-2500 as best case. 
2017 R/F  Patrick Ryder  21  556,500  2164   103  556,600 

2017 Only four rucks scored 2100+,  Kruze, Ryder, Martin Jacobs and McEvoy(2096).   Kruze and Ryder 21 games, the other 3 22 games.   
2016 only 2 rucks over 2100: -Gawn 2600 and Goldstein 2264.
Therefore NicNat either needs to average 20gms @ 110 or 22 @ 95 as worse case scenario.  Not sure he will do this.  NN has 4 seasons of max 20 games in past 7 years. 

Of the alternatives Martin is risk because of A Smith,
Goldstein did 4 of 5 years years over 2200 until last year at 21 games a year.  However he has Preuss risk.
Sauce has 4 from 6 over 2100 in past 6 years and least injury prone.
Summary: all come with risk through being managed or injured.  So NicNat still gets the gig as best value starting option.   Jacobs probably the lowest risk option.   Or if Kruze drops in price hope it happens when NicNat goes down.