WXV Preliminary Finals: Dublin v Pacific, Seoul v New Delhi

Started by Purple 77, August 16, 2017, 10:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

It's getting tense now!

Preliminary Finals, AFL Round 22

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Dublin DestroyersPacific IslandersCrooke Park4  v  2
Seoul MagpiesNew Delhi TigersSeoul World Cup Stadium1  v  5

The Destroyers are all too familiar with a preliminary final; currently facing their fourth consecutive one, but last year was the first time they went down in one. With a list that can often be hit or miss, their qualifying final against New Delhi was certainly hit and with guys like Goldsteain (32), Westhoff (62) and Greenwood (59) scoring low last week, I roughly calculate that the Dublin would have scored 138 against New York; well below what was required to beat them. So it was certainly well played in winning that final and avoiding a 'Miss' game, but this year hasn't necessarily shown that Dublin always respond with a 'Hit' the week after. For example, Rounds 7 (123) and 8 (128) & Rounds 14 (137) and 15 (134). In fact, in the last 7 weeks, Dublin has only surpassed 140 on two occasions! Consistency was always going to suffer this year with a top-heavy list in regards to salary, but hey, they're in the prelims; and deservedly so. 10 games this year Dublin has gone 150+; four of which were 160+. These are figures that Dublin's opponents just don't have and the Destroyers would be fancying themselves to feature in their third Grand Final next week.
The Islanders last week showed exactly why they are featuring in their first preliminary final this week; the ability to post a solid game winning score (140+) without anybody in particular really standing up for them. What does this mean? There is sooo much improvement in this squad, and in a year that features a 160+ score as well as four other 150+ scores, they can deliver on this promise on any given week. But it has to be now. Pacific's worse loss this year was easily the one it suffered two weeks ago; scoring a 127 against a 131-Dangerless Seoul that now plays its prelim at home. What's more concerning is that the Islanders scored 124 just two weeks prior to that game too, and given that in 11 of the 15 games before these blemishes the Islanders scored 140+; there two season-low scores can't have come at a worse time. The 140-range is a comfortable zone for this team, but as New Delhi had to last week against New York, they need to lift against Dublin in the 50/50 chance that they fire. Had these two teams played against each other in every one of the 18 weeks that they both played, Dublin would lead 10-8 but with 4 of the last 5. At Crooke Park, this becomes such a great task and if Pacific were to win here and score like we've come to know that they can, they fully deserve to feature in the Grand Final. I'm tipping Dublin, but expect a ripper.

I don't think I've ever been as excited to see a WXVs match like I am with this one in what is my MATCH OF THE SEASON. One of the biggest surprises I've even seen in a Head-2-Head would have to be this one. Seoul has only beaten New Delhi once? Crazy. I think that would have been in 2014, when New Delhi were in the infant stages of their Ricophants leadership. Oh, how the times have changed now. Seoul dodged a big bullet in their qualifying final against Pacific; finding a way to win with their third lowest score of the season. Yes, you can largely say it was because Dangerfield was absent, but to the teams that claim this Magpie dominance is just him and a lucky draft steal at Pick 6 two years ago, I say... Seoul has them, you don't, and that is the result of fine team management. Since Round 8, Seoul has averaged 150ppg ranking 1st in this time. Narrowly behind them at 149ppg, is New Delhi. So on average, if these two teams played against each other every week this year, they'd score just about 300 points between. ON AVERAGE. Good, god, this is going to be a ripper final! Seoul's midfield trio is surpassed by none, who combine to average 360ppg between them, and chuck another 134 as a captains bonus. Seoul can rely on KelliveField. But, they will win this game if 2 or 3 of Whitfield, Greene, McEvoy, Swallow and Lynch stand up too. What will Seoul do in their second ever final? Soooo excited!
So... close! Our dominant team of 2017 was *this* close to getting knocked out of straight sets, but received the fruits of their season through a match winning HGA that fully deserve. As a side note, New York won a lot people over that day, and should be proud of their efforts. However, if we needed another sign of what a great team looks like, it was last week when New Delhi rallied to score a necessary 150+ to keep their first premiership hopes alive. However, they won't have the benefit of HGA anymore as they face their greatest season-long threat in the Seoul Magpies. These two teams were always going to play each other in one of the last two weeks of the season, and given that they finished 1 & 2 on the ladder, some would think it a shame it won't be next week. This constant 'measuring' contest with each other is evident in their 2017 head-2-head where New Delhi would lead 11-7, but from Round 8 (when Seoul kicked into gear) Seoul leads 6-5 with winning streaks failing to surpass 2. The last time they met, New Delhi won 148 to Seoul's 143 for a combined score of 291. I reckon we could see 10-20 points added to that this week. In my opinion, the winner out of these two will win the premiership, and that, will be Seoul. Play on.

And don't forget the reserves!

One team (Moscow) is playing this week but not in the seniors. What I require from you, is that you NAME YOUR BEST SENIOR 18 like you were playing finals. I will be scrutinising your best 18 to determine if that is really who you would play, so as to ensure that the players available for the reserves matches are the ones that would normally be available. If I don't agree, then I will name one for you.

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue
Port Morseby IguanadonsMumbai ElephantsBSP Stadium
Siberian WolverinesPyongyang ChollimasLuzhniki Stadium

Ricochet

Brb

Just taking my bat down to Geelong to knee cap Dangerfield

Holz

Alex Rance, Tom McDonald, Oscar McDonald, Jacob Weitering
Dustin Martin (C), Adam Trelaor (VC), Rory Sloane, Nathan Jones
Todd Goldstein
Jack Gunston, Justin Westhoff, Hugh Greenwood, Jack Reiwoldt
Brad Crouch, Stephen Hill

Emg: Braydon Preuss, Lachie Plowman, James Parsons

please get up Sloaney we need you.
weits have a good week please I dont want you being HGA at 20 points. 108 and 66 in the last 2 lets see some of that.
Greenwood 71 103 51 114 59 - surely 100+ right?

Toga

Purple 77

I hope all of those pictured players in the OP play this week  :-X

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 16, 2017, 04:43:41 PM
I hope all of those pictured players in the OP play this week  :-X

tipping against Dublin in the grand final already

Jay

Feel free to take the week off Sloaney :P

Witts out for the season really hurts us. But we have The Bont, so Pacific to win.

JBs-Hawks

Ricochet

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 16, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Rico you can take Exv and I'll take wxv.
Deal?
DangerGod will decide

Stinks it up - bashers fail, seoul fail
Goes at a normal rate - seoul win and bashers win

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on August 17, 2017, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 16, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Rico you can take Exv and I'll take wxv.
Deal?
DangerGod will decide

Stinks it up - bashers fail, seoul fail
Goes at a normal rate - seoul win and bashers win

Just got to hope its not like round 15 where his SC was 50+ more then his DT.

RaisyDaisy

Dangers record vs Collingwood is very average too, so that could help NDT

meow meow

Bont due for an absolute shocker. So bad that it'll result in a rage trade.

Holz

Do I dare stick him on the bench. For a possible shock inclusion.

meow meow

All well and good being a great athlete who can use the ball well, but if you can't get the damn thing in the first place it's moot. Don't trust them.

Holz

Quote from: meow meow on August 17, 2017, 01:51:17 PM
All well and good being a great athlete who can use the ball well, but if you can't get the damn thing in the first place it's moot. Don't trust them.
not sure why that spud is being posted next to my gun. Number 1 forward out of last years draft.

Phantom: Talented key forward with substantial scope to improve. Very quick and agile. Freakish at ground level for someone of his height.