Monaco 0 Juventus 2 FT: Gonzalo Higuain strikes twice

Started by Neymar110, May 04, 2017, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neymar110

Gonzalo Higuaín scored twice, and the veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon made some crucial saves as Juventus won, 2-0, at Monaco on Wednesday to take a commanding lead in their Champions League semifinal.

Two brilliant Alves assists and two expert Higuain finishes gave Juventus a 2-0 lead that they will surely defend when the two sides meet in Turin next Tuesday night. This was a triumph of experience over youth and an absolute vindication of Juventus’ decision to spend big on those two players last year.

The Brazilian defender assisted on both of the Argentine's goals. The first came on 29 minutes and Alves backheeled the assist.

The second was in the 59th minute, and it came off some fine pressure from Alves and Paulo Dybala to recover the ball. Alves then lofted a perfect pass to Higuain at the back post.

Buffon: I want people to be sad when I retire

Gianluigi Buffon celebrated his 100th Champions League game for Juventus in typical fashion on Wednesday, making a string of brilliant saves in a 2-0 win at Monaco in the first leg of their semi-final.

The 39-year-old goalkeeper, who has been a Juve stalwart for over 16 years, says his motivation is to continue proving he belongs at the highest level and wants people to be sad when he eventually ends his playing career.

'In every game I want to show that I deserve to play at this level despite my age,' he told UEFA after the match.

Monaco (4-4-2): Subasic; Dirar, Glik, Jemerson, Sidibe; Silva (Toure 81), Fabinho, Bakayoko (Moutinho 67), Lemar (Germain 67); Mbappe, Falcao.

Substitutes not used: De Sanctis, Jorge, Raggi, Cardona.

Juventus (4-2-3-1): Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Sandro; Pjanic (Lemina 89), Marchisio (Rincon 81); Alves, Dybala, Mandzukic; Higuain (Cuadrado 77).