BBL|06 and WBBL|02: Match Discussion Thread!

Started by PowerBug, December 09, 2016, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Quote from: fanTCfool on January 24, 2017, 11:32:42 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on January 24, 2017, 11:26:49 PM
Good win boys!

But did they just say Marsh won't be available for the final?

Yep, he's off to NZ for some bland ODIs
What a joke! This is the best limited overs competition in the Southern Hemisphere, yet the talent gets severely diluted just because of some boring, meaningless ODI games that no one cares about. #ScrapODIs

Ringo

Quote from: Jay on January 24, 2017, 11:39:24 PM
Good win boys!

What a joke! This is the best limited overs competition in the Southern Hemisphere, yet the talent gets severely diluted just because of some boring, meaningless ODI games that no one cares about. #ScrapODIs
Yep replacing the "rested" Warner
Will never happen but wouldn't be great to see BBL as stand alone with all players available.

shaker

Quote from: Ringo on January 25, 2017, 12:01:44 PM
Good win boys!

Will never happen but wouldn't be great to see BBL as stand alone with all players available.

Teams like the Stars have always lost key players just before the finals and they keep losing I know it won't happen but maybe they should by-pass players that get picked for other duties and base there team around players that are going to be around for the pointy end ?

fanTCfool

Quote from: shaker on January 25, 2017, 01:35:55 PM
Quote from: Ringo on January 25, 2017, 12:01:44 PM
Good win boys!

Teams like the Stars have always lost key players just before the finals and they keep losing I know it won't happen but maybe they should by-pass players that get picked for other duties and base there team around players that are going to be around for the pointy end ?

They spoke on this very topic towards the end of the broadcast last night and came to the conclusion that you can't know who's going to be playing for Australia in 12 months time. If you took the above approach last year, you would have left Boland off of your list because he was playing for Australia, and then this year comes around and he doesn't look close to it.

Jukes

Or maybe concentrate on improving your state's cricket so you have plenty of very good homegrown players rather than poaching the best players from elsewhere ;)

Worked well for us despite having lost guys like the Marshes, Voges, Coults, Dorff etc. Lazy 5 grand finals in 6 seasons :3

PowerBug

That's why Steve Smith and David Warner don't have BBL contracts anymore. Not worth using a roster spot.

It's always going to happen, it's only T20 cricket anyway. I think they should try to avoid having things scheduled during the BBL finals, but during the regular rounds a) it's unavoidable with test cricket and b) I think the fringe players would prefer to represent their country, as it may be their only chance to (See: Cartwright and Stanlake)
Just your average footy nuffie.
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Jay

Quote from: PowerBug on January 25, 2017, 03:38:51 PM
That's why Steve Smith and David Warner don't have BBL contracts anymore. Not worth using a roster spot.

It's always going to happen, it's only T20 cricket anyway. I think they should try to avoid having things scheduled during the BBL finals, but during the regular rounds a) it's unavoidable with test cricket and b) I think the fringe players would prefer to represent their country, as it may be their only chance to (See: Cartwright and Stanlake)
The "it's only T20 cricket" argument isn't relevant anymore because T20 has flown past ODI in both quality of cricket and popularity. I'll never be of the opinion that T20 is catching test cricket, but comparing crowd numbers from the big bash to some of the test matches is pretty eye-opening. Anyway, ODIs are now clearly the worst form of cricket, and in an ideal world, shouldn't at all impact a competition as huge as the big bash :)

Bill Manspeaker

T20 is still the worst form. I don't care about crowd numbers.  I'd rather watch an ODI game over a T20 10/10 times and if I had the option I'd rather play for my country than my state (both would be awesome though obviously)

Jukes

Test > Domestic T20 > First Class > International T20 >>>>>> List A > ODI imho (for watching as in)

Nige

Quote from: Jay on January 25, 2017, 07:08:21 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on January 25, 2017, 03:38:51 PM

The "it's only T20 cricket" argument isn't relevant anymore because T20 has flown past ODI in both quality of cricket and popularity. I'll never be of the opinion that T20 is catching test cricket, but comparing crowd numbers from the big bash to some of the test matches is pretty eye-opening. Anyway, ODIs are now clearly the worst form of cricket, and in an ideal world, shouldn't at all impact a competition as huge as the big bash :)
I fully agree with this, couldn't have said it better myself.

Ringo

Team news:
Heat XI: McCullum (c), Peirson, Heazlett, Ross, Burns, Labuschagne, Cutting, Wildermuth, Steketee, Swepson, Badree  (Badree in for Nick Buchanan)

Sixers XI: Lumb, Hughes, Munro, Henriques, Maddinson, Haddin, Abbott, Botha, Dwarshuis, Lyon, Bird

Sixers have won toss and will field.

Really concerned about this one as Heat have only won 8 of 16 at the Gabba and lost 3 this season.

Bill Manspeaker

Bill Manspeaker

meant to drop that

keep Ross out there in struggle city

fanTCfool

I'm sure that was a tactical drop by Dwarshuis...  :P

Bill Manspeaker