Main Menu

Saints offseason 2016/2017

Started by Bill Manspeaker, August 30, 2016, 09:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: iZander on September 01, 2016, 12:50:39 PM
Quote from: elephants on September 01, 2016, 12:36:54 PM
Sounds like the Saints are chasing a key possie defender?
Strange, they have carlisle to come in :P Guess they could do with another still
with Goddard getting injured, another tall can't hurt. not sure when Hughy will be ready but we don't wanna rely on undersized defenders when we're hopefully going to be challenging for top 8

Pkbaldy

Steele and Marchbank over the trade period is a big chance!

BoredSaint

Couldn't argue with the list changes that they made. Expecting a few more as well by the time trade period comes around. Have to lose some and gain some.

I think our list is looking pretty good though with some good development in most of our players. We didn't have many injuries this year which was pleasing which was why some guys didn't much or a run (Templeton, Shenton, Lonie, Sinclair). Overall though its good that we have depth in most areas. Would be most concerned about defense at the moment. Carlisle coming back is good as we need a big man down there. Goddard probably won't be back till midseason so we'd be relying on Dempster, Fisher (if he goes on) and Roberton at the back.

A name I would interested in picking up would be Tomlinson from GWS. Big defender who's rumoured to want out although is in the team atm so would be interesting to see what happens.

We have pretty good depth in the midfield but I guess it never hurts to bring in some more guns in Steele and O'Meara, although I'd be saving some bank for FYFEEEEEEEEEEEEEE next season  ::)

Bill Manspeaker

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kilda-resigns-american-ruckman-jason-holmes-to-oneyear-deal/news-story/8ed8f5579b311f33a63d6f5d0ed9287f

QuoteFoxfooty.com.au understands the Saints will announce the left-footer’s re-signing in the near future, ending speculation he may not be offered a new contract.

little surprising

Bill Manspeaker

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/emerging-saints-minchington-and-wright-ink-new-deals

QuoteEMERGING forwards Darren Minchington and Nathan Wright have been rewarded for breakthrough 2016 seasons with new two-year deals at St Kilda.

"Nathan's committed approach to his training has seen him overcome injury and spend a greater amount of time in the seniors in 2016," Bains said.

"Nathan brought a real toughness to our forward line, with his move from defence clearly adding flexibility to our line-up.

"We were really happy with Darren's season and his improved form has seen him play a greater role in the senior side.

"We love his tackling pressure, he is dangerous around goals and he has shown some promising midfield play. I am sure our fans will enjoy watching him continue to develop in 2017 and beyond."

enzedder

How we stand pre-trades
FB: Geary, Goddard, Roberton
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Montagna
C:   Riewoldt, Acres, Newnes
HF:  Billings, Bruce, Gresham
FF:  Weller, McCartin, Membrey
F:    Hickey, Steven, Armitage
Int:  Ross, Dunstan, Dempster, McKenzie
Emerg: Wright, Webster, Lonie
Depth: Minchington, Sinclair, Templeton, Lee, Freeman, Longer, Gilbert, Fisher, Shenton, Murdoch, White, Pierce, Holmes, Rice
Rookies: Coughlan, O'Kearney

With four rucks, equal most in AFL with Sydney, I wouldn't be surprised if Longer is shopped around for a second round pick or is part of deal that lands us Steele from GWS or another player. Hickey has grabbed the #1 ruck spot and Holmes and Pierce are fall back options if needed.
Hopefully Goddard is back for R1 but likely to mid year....at this point in time Fisher stays on the list as back up but the trade period may see him tipped out if we fill that need.
With Carlisle and Goddard added to the team with the potential of Freeman we already have what amounts to "3 recruits" ;D
I like our list and how it looks on paper... need McKenzie and Freeman to inject some pace to help Steven, Acres to develop into a superpower (hopefully like Bont), Goddard to go "Hamling on Buddy" style, McCartin is the St.Kilda version of Boyd and we compare well in many ways to this years premiers haha....hell we beat them this year anyway.
Excited about 2017. Bring it!

fanTCfool

One would think that there is a vacancy in the 8 with North on the slide, at this stage it seems the Saints would be favourites to return to September action.

enzedder

Would be a catastrophic failure if the Saints don't make the 8 next year, based on the progress they made this year and the emergence/ development of where the playing list is at.
Acres 26 games, Billings 42 games, Gresham 18 games, McCartin 17 games... and a host of others similar. Ross stepped up big time this year and surprised... need these guys and some of McKenzie, Lonie, Sinclair, Wright to do the same.
St.Kilda are on the up for sure. Unfortunately GWS look like being a powerhouse at the same time.

Bill Manspeaker

I don't think it'd be a catastrophic failure if we didn't make finals next year. it would be a big disappointment no doubt, but there are a couple of factors that might make it hard

tougher draw. the first half of 2016 was rated one of the hardest in the league pre-season. our second half was much easier, but we did beat Geelong and the Dogs in that second half

injuries. we were pretty lucky with injuries this year. this is something mostly out of our power so we just gotta hope we don't get injuries to important players

and of course the improvement of other teams, namely Melbourne because that's who I think we'll be competing with

I'm picking us to make finals cos ya gotta be positive. but I don't think it would be a catastrophe. we've still got a couple of years till we'll hit our prime

BoredSaint

Someone tell Blake Acres to watch every video that exists of Bontempelli and we'd go a long way to making September next season

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: BoredSaint on October 09, 2016, 10:31:21 PM
Someone tell Blake Acres to watch every video that exists of Bontempelli and we'd go a long way to making September next season
Bont is gonna wish he was as good as Blacres in a couple years :P

Bill Manspeaker

welcome to the Saints Steele  8) Jack no. 6

Saint Steele. has a nice ring to it

give him #35  8)

GoLions

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on October 14, 2016, 11:32:20 AM
welcome to the Saints Steele  8) Jack no. 6

Saint Steele. has a nice ring to it

give him #35  8)
Veeeeeeeery nice. Got to keep your first rounder as well.

enzedder

Good trade week(s) by Saints... no big names but got Steele, Stevens and Brown plus an extra early pick next year for the giving up of some picks that were well worth it.
Looks like Fisher will be superfluous to needs and will end his days as a Saint.
We have set ourselves up well for next year and beyond.
Hopefully we can land Dylan Shiel this time next year.

Bill Manspeaker

yep great trade period!

Steele as young gun, was big on 15ish by the Roos, so even though he was taken in the second round he's pretty much another 1st round talent

Stevens a nice cheap pick up. don't really know too much about him but sounds like another midfielder who kicks goals. not the best disposal but always cracks in hard and gives it his all

Brown to help with the big key forwards. hopefully we don't see the big bags get kicked against us. he and Carlisle should be great for us down back, and it'll give big Hughy time to get over his injury and mature his body

we've set ourselves up to after a big fish next year. Shiel would be great, Kelly... Hopper... Dusty? go after Fyfe as a free agent. can't see that one happening but money talks and we got lots of it!