Main Menu

CAS verdict

Started by Drak, December 15, 2015, 10:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Drak on January 12, 2016, 05:41:11 PM
Yeah Brisbane and Carlton are pretty terrible.

Brisbane has a midfield... and thats all.

Carlton have.... Jacob Wietering Patrick Cripps. And thats all.

Drak

Jacob Wietering is going to be the best player Carlton have seen since Kernahan

Grazz

Reading the 48 pages of the CAS Verdict makes for some horrible reading. I just sit here in hope that nothing of this nature ever occurs again in our sport. I hope and pray that this is a lesson for all clubs to heed not just the Bombers, never again never ever again. The only real innocent in all this is Dr Reid, feel for this guy. My sympathy for the players has depleted a little but not entirely I still feel some sympathy for them but after reading the CAS Verdict you can't deny they to were guilty of trying to hide the doping regime when they filled out their Doping Control forms when tested by making no mention of it anywhere or at anytime while being tested is disappointing to say the least. I feel Dank wanting to use 2 players as Guinea Pigs to test the new polymer used on race horses in the USA disgusting to say the very least, this man should be in jail as I write, i'm glad i'm not a parent of a player at the Bombers as I would probably be in jail myself after reading that, the man is scum of lowest order and deserves a bloody good beating for it. The AFL in all this have left me with no faith at all in them the way they handled this and the conclusion the AFL doping authority came to only cements my lack of faith in them. Amateurs to say the least. If not for this CAS Verdict report there is to much that none of us would of ever been privy to in my opinion and that's just wrong on so many levels. I can't help but wonder what the parents of the players will thinking after reading the CAS verdict.

fanTCfool

Why does anyone speak to Tim Watson honestly

Football Factory

Found this quite amusing .. from DT Talk site

Essendon have announced 2 of their top up players for 2016

quinny88

Quote from: Football Factory on January 12, 2016, 07:37:01 PM
Found this quite amusing .. from DT Talk site

Essendon have announced 2 of their top up players for 2016

Seems legit haha

AaronKirk

I guess I have changed my view of it all today.

Only took me one bullet point from the CAS verdict to decide that I accept the decision (begrudgingly)

The dot point which said WADA tested the 2012 urine samples last year and found abnormally high levels of TB4 in the samples.

Basically proved their case that they took a banned substance. No ruling was going to go in favour of the players after that. There was evidence higher than circumstantial to prove the case.

The other point in the evidence from the CAS ruling that decided the length of penalty was the fact that the majority of the players did not disclose the injections to ASADA drug testers which is the reason the no fault discount clause was not used by CAS to suspend the players for only 1 year and not 2.

Ah well. There is no point the players appealing given the evidence provided.

Now the players will sue the club and then it will be over.... hopefully.

Now to get on with 2016 where we won't win a game.... i already hate 2016.

Capper

i dont think the players will sue the club, the club has no money and a lot of bills to pay, very little people have signed on as members and the members/supporters wont pay for any of it. I'm still bemused that Hird thinks nothing should happen.

Unfortunately Hird will be remembered as the coach that allowed this to happen at the bombers rather than the player he was

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Capper on January 12, 2016, 10:34:22 PM
i dont think the players will sue the club, the club has no money and a lot of bills to pay, very little people have signed on as members and the members/supporters wont pay for any of it. I'm still bemused that Hird thinks nothing should happen.

Unfortunately Hird will be remembered as the coach that allowed this to happen at the bombers rather than the player he was

38k current members already but ok

DazBurg

Quote from: AaronKirk on January 12, 2016, 09:10:04 PM
I guess I have changed my view of it all today.

Only took me one bullet point from the CAS verdict to decide that I accept the decision (begrudgingly)

The dot point which said WADA tested the 2012 urine samples last year and found abnormally high levels of TB4 in the samples.

Basically proved their case that they took a banned substance. No ruling was going to go in favour of the players after that. There was evidence higher than circumstantial to prove the case.

The other point in the evidence from the CAS ruling that decided the length of penalty was the fact that the majority of the players did not disclose the injections to ASADA drug testers which is the reason the no fault discount clause was not used by CAS to suspend the players for only 1 year and not 2.

Ah well. There is no point the players appealing given the evidence provided.

Now the players will sue the club and then it will be over.... hopefully.

Now to get on with 2016 where we won't win a game.... i already hate 2016.
while yeah it is damning they never said anything

the test doesn't prove much

ands no i'm not being one of those biased essendon ppl

just saying only 2 tests shown high levels so even if this proves guilt 32 of the 34 are hard done by

and secondly the reason that test is a bit inconclusive is this article

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/tests-results-raise-doubts-about-wada-evidence-against-essendon/news-story/dc42acabd91f11713ffed3fbcb890d26

mainly this part
The Weekend Australian can reveal the Cologne lab has since conducted further tests on samples taken from AFL players at other clubs with no known connection to Dank, a Queensland-born biochemist serving a life ban from sport.

Some of these samples also returned elevated readings for Thymosin Beta-4. When asked to explain these results, an analyst from the German lab suggested the footballers from other clubs must have taken the banned substance. There is no supporting evidence for this and the players are not under investigation for doping.

Another explanation is that Australian rules footballers, like other athletes, can naturally produce high levels of Thymosin Beta-4, particularly when recovering from illness or injury.

Previous studies have shown that osteoarthritis, a chronic injury common among footballers, and platelet-rich plasma therapy, an increasingly popular treatment for the condition, can both cause a spike in Thymosin Beta-4 production.
but again the fact they never mentioned it really thye have hung themselves on that part tbh

Capper

just read this. I cant believe the shower that went down and they hid it from the club doctor

SuperFooty (AFL) ‏@superfooty  12m12 minutes ago
Essendon doctor Bruce Reid revealed as key WADA witness against Bombers players
MORE: http://bit.ly/1ULEpFX 

QuoteThe panel ruled that the players should cover three quarters of the cost of the case and the AFL the rest of the bill.

this is going to hurt the players as well

Grazz

Quote from: Capper on January 12, 2016, 11:34:06 PM
just read this. I cant believe the shower that went down and they hid it from the club doctor

QuoteThe panel ruled that the players should cover three quarters of the cost of the case and the AFL the rest of the bill.

From memory in the CAS verdict it stated that the bill is about 30k, whatever the players have to cough up im sure will be returned to them from the club at some point, can't see the players being out of pocket if the Bombers are going to cover their salaries while suspended.

Capper

Footy Classified ‏@FootyClassified  16m16 minutes ago
"There is now a 'get out clause' for sponsors of the @EssendonFC." - @barrettdamian. None have done so just yet. #FootyClassified

AaronKirk

The Essendonains coterie group are all flush with cash. Former politicians and businessman like Paul Little (who is just shy of being a billionaire) will continue to support the club.

The supporters group has paid a showerload of the money from the saga and will continue to do so.

The club also has an insurance policy which would pay all the money from any said legal action from the players.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: DazBurg on January 12, 2016, 10:50:19 PM
the test doesn't prove much

ands no i'm not being one of those biased essendon ppl

just saying only 2 tests shown high levels so even if this proves guilt 32 of the 34 are hard done by

and secondly the reason that test is a bit inconclusive is this article

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/tests-results-raise-doubts-about-wada-evidence-against-essendon/news-story/dc42acabd91f11713ffed3fbcb890d26

mainly this part
The Weekend Australian can reveal the Cologne lab has since conducted further tests on samples taken from AFL players at other clubs with no known connection to Dank, a Queensland-born biochemist serving a life ban from sport.

Some of these samples also returned elevated readings for Thymosin Beta-4. When asked to explain these results, an analyst from the German lab suggested the footballers from other clubs must have taken the banned substance. There is no supporting evidence for this and the players are not under investigation for doping.

Another explanation is that Australian rules footballers, like other athletes, can naturally produce high levels of Thymosin Beta-4, particularly when recovering from illness or injury.

Previous studies have shown that osteoarthritis, a chronic injury common among footballers, and platelet-rich plasma therapy, an increasingly popular treatment for the condition, can both cause a spike in Thymosin Beta-4 production.
but again the fact they never mentioned it really thye have hung themselves on that part tbh

It should be noted that the test results were not in any way a cornerstone of the case and the players were not charged with testing positive for a substance. I don't think the test result counted much against the players, it was the litany of other evidence that condemned them.

Quote from: Grazz on January 12, 2016, 11:38:12 PM
Quote from: Capper on January 12, 2016, 11:34:06 PM

From memory in the CAS verdict it stated that the bill is about 30k, whatever the players have to cough up im sure will be returned to them from the club at some point, can't see the players being out of pocket if the Bombers are going to cover their salaries while suspended.

Yeah the 'players' in the verdict was just the collective way of referencing the Essendon group, because there was no case for the club to answer... It's purely legal writing so that there is a consistent term used throughout to represent each party. Because the case was WADA vs the players, they can't award costs from the club because the club is a third party to the case. Assuredly the players themselves will not be paying from their own bank accounts.

Quote from: AaronKirk on January 13, 2016, 01:32:23 AM

The Essendonains coterie group are all flush with cash. Former politicians and businessman like Paul Little (who is just shy of being a billionaire) will continue to support the club.

The supporters group has paid a showerload of the money from the saga and will continue to do so.

The club also has an insurance policy which would pay all the money from any said legal action from the players.

Exactly. I think it's almost a given that the players will sue the club, they'd be mad not to. They are tainted by all of this, the ramifications for their ongoing careers is huge. It's taken an obvious toll on Watson, he should be suing for just about every possible form of damages. When you consider that the players were clearly mislead and believed what they were being given was ok, they certainly have a case.