Main Menu

Top Up Players

Started by Drak, January 14, 2016, 10:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Quote from: Pkbaldy on February 02, 2016, 03:50:16 PM
That's the point of the top-ups? It doesn't go beyond this year and it's to keep Essendon somewhat competitive against some of the lower teams... Having 22 players under the age of 23 would be useless.

quinny88

Quote from: quinny88 on February 02, 2016, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on February 02, 2016, 02:37:58 AM
The only problem with that man is that by being smashed every week you will do more damage to your kids than good. The older and bigger bodies will help protect their kids and allow them to develop a little more naturally

There's a lot of guys in their early to mid 20s in the state leagues that would thrive from the opportunity that could also provide that protection. Recruiting a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30 has no benefit beyond this year

That's the point of the top-ups? It doesn't go beyond this year and it's to keep Essendon somewhat competitive against some of the lower teams... Having 22 players under the age of 23 would be useless.

Having younger guys could go beyond this year though..
There's nothing to say all of the banned players will come back.
Wouldn't you rather see potential future players having a crack rather than old guys that will be gone next year?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: quinny88 on February 02, 2016, 04:09:12 PM
The only problem with that man is that by being smashed every week you will do more damage to your kids than good. The older and bigger bodies will help protect their kids and allow them to develop a little more naturally

There's a lot of guys in their early to mid 20s in the state leagues that would thrive from the opportunity that could also provide that protection. Recruiting a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30 has no benefit beyond this year

Wouldn't you rather see potential future players having a crack rather than old guys that will be gone next year?

I'd rather Essendon have the strongest team possible. Nothing enjoyable about watching a team get slaughtered 22 games because they chose to play nothing but kids...

Toga

I don't know exactly how it works, but I doubt that if any of the banned players walk away from the game then I wouldn't have thought Essendon could just make a top-up player permanent. I would think that the top-up players would essentially be DFA's and would be fair game?

quinny88

Quote from: Pkbaldy on February 02, 2016, 04:17:56 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on February 02, 2016, 04:09:12 PM

I'd rather Essendon have the strongest team possible. Nothing enjoyable about watching a team get slaughtered 22 games because they chose to play nothing but kids...

So field a competitive side, finish higher and not get the #1 draft pick? What's the point? They aren't playing finals either way so why not concentrate on the future?

quinny88

Quote from: Toga on February 02, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
I don't know exactly how it works, but I doubt that if any of the banned players walk away from the game then I wouldn't have thought Essendon could just make a top-up player permanent. I would think that the top-up players would essentially be DFA's and would be fair game?
They would be fair game but most teams don't have a need for them where as Essendon might.

Ricochet

Essendon's main focus will be their current list. If the potential <25yr old topups were good enough they probably would have gone after them last year in the draft.

They'll focus on developing their own boys and will do everything they can to look after them and continue their development

quinny88

Quote from: Ricochet on February 03, 2016, 12:33:59 AM
Essendon's main focus will be their current list. If the potential <25yr old topups were good enough they probably would have gone after them last year in the draft.

They'll focus on developing their own boys and will do everything they can to look after them and continue their development

There's been plenty of young guys that have been delisted in the past and then thrived when given a chance at a new club though.
All these 30+ year olds have nothing to prove. They will help in the short term but won't care or be there beyond this year.

Crowley, Jamar, Kelly, Stokes are a waste of time IMO.
If I was a bombers supporter I would prefer the guys like Dea, Simpkin and Polkinghorne who have something to prove.

Ricochet

Quote from: quinny88 on February 03, 2016, 12:47:42 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on February 03, 2016, 12:33:59 AM

There's been plenty of young guys that have been delisted in the past and then thrived when given a chance at a new club though.
All these 30+ year olds have nothing to prove. They will help in the short term but won't care or be there beyond this year.

Crowley, Jamar, Kelly, Stokes are a waste of time IMO.
If I was a bombers supporter I would prefer the guys like Dea, Simpkin and Polkinghorne who have something to prove.
Oh so would I. But i think you need a good mix with experience like they have.

Also i think a lot of the topups will be depth only

kilbluff1985

i'm very excited about what Kelly and Stokes can teach our youngsters with the success they have had

if we only got kids in everyone would of said we were tanking anyway  ::)

plumdog millionaire

Also having a slightly competitive team means more tickets sold and more interest, the bottom line is important still

Ringo

I am in 2 minds do not mind a couple over 30 but there are plenty of 24 - 30 year olds running round in the various sub competitions that would give their right arm for an opportunity to be noticed again.  For the life of me can not see why Zac O'Brien has not been picked up. Only 25 years old and won the Reserves best and fairest and came from the Dons VFL so in my opinion a hard nosed mid fielder ready made.

Jukes

Damn, I would've looked forward to booing him another season - especially since I watch more dons than swans games so can get in more.

Cookie Monster

With the top ups Essendon don't have first rights, I believe they'll just nominate for the draft, and even then I would have thought we will only pick up 2 or 3. Polkinghorne, Dea, Simpkin probably the three most likely at the moment.

Out of the 12 Essendon players banned, I can see 4-5 not to play again.

Bellchambers, Colyer, Heppell, Hurley, Hibberd, Hooker, Myers and maybe Watson I can see coming back to play, how many of them  at Essendon who knows?

But Hocking, Stanton, Pears, Howlett i believe have all played their last game for the club.

So, ASSUMING, Hurley and Hooker return, and players like Mitch Brown and Hartley have good seasons, IF Matt Dea has a good year I would think he would go somewhere else to play.

So Essendon i think will keep 2 of the top ups given. Maybe 3.