NBA Season 2018/19

Started by LaHug, July 03, 2018, 10:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaHug

The 3 point contest has been the best bit of the Saturday for the last few years. Last time the dunk contest was good was Lavine vs. Gordon.

elephants

Joe Harris! Good Brooklyn boy

jvalles69

I got on Diallo at $7, winner winner chicken dinner!  8)

RaisyDaisy

All Star game was actually quite enjoyable to watch today. Huge come back from Team Lebron

Felt like Curry was way off, missing so many shots

Was so good seeing Nowitski's start - came on and sunk his first 3 3's which got everyone up and about

AD only played 5 minutes, why bother? Just sit out and give someone else a go instead

Giannis was huge, especially his first quarter which was insane, but KD gonna KD - deserved MVP

RaisyDaisy

How would you guys say someone who is new to NBA should pick a side to follow?

I'm heavily into the NBA now, watching several games every week, learning more etc and just really loving it. I grew up as an NBA fan and was/am still a die hard Jordan fan, so naturally I was a Bulls fan as a kid growing up, but I lost interest in the NBA around the same time Jordan retired, and have only really gotten back into the NBA recently

I have no emotional attachment to the Bulls now - it's been 20+ years since I was really into NBA so that makes sense

I guess I'm back into it so much now because the current state of the game is great to watch, and this current era certainly has a lot of guns which makes it much more attractive too

Anyway, I've always felt that with any new sport, you just watch more and more games, see more and more players/teams and then naturally you just gravitate towards a certain team/s - it's very natural and it just feels right. It could be based on players, the team name, the logo and colours, or just anything. Would everyone agree with that being the natural way? I think it is

I actually enjoy the fact that I don't have a side I barrack for - I just love watching the best players and teams every week, but I've started to wonder recently, if I was going to actually pick a side, who would it be?

I love watching GSW for obvious reasons, but that's just blatant bandwagoning lol although I do genuinely feel a pull towards them, mostly because of KD

The Sixers are another team I love to watch, and there's a natural pull towards them because of Simmons

The third team for me is OKC, and as much as I love watching most teams play I think OKC has the most natural pull for me. Westbrook, PG and even Adams lol, there's just something about those 3, the colours/logo etc which all really works for me too. A friend of mine is a big OKC fan too so perhaps that also ties into it all

I think if I was forced to actually pick a side to follow then it would definitely be 1 of those 3. I love watching Kawhi, Lebron, Harden, Giannis etc but I just have zero feelings or affection towards their teams/club

Curious to hear what others think. Maybe it's best to not actually pick a team, and just continue to watch everyone?

jvalles69

Watch the players you enjoy watching, you don't have an affinity to a team so don't bother.  I've always followed the Bulls because Jordan had such a big impact on my life, the Rose came along and I loved him.  They are terrible now, but I still wear a bulls hat etc.  Its more fun following players and not having any connection, as you said you can follow those 3 teams is fine Imo, we're Australian so have no connection to US states etc.  Follow an NBL team and watch whatever NBA games you want!

Mat0369

Simmons probably won't be in Philly that much longer. There have been a lot of trade rumours circulating and they are just going to grow as he gets closer to his new contract. 

RaisyDaisy

Yeah this is why I haven't chosen a team to follow - I just don't think it's necessary

I watch heaps of games, and just love watching the best do their thing, and there's plenty of players I really like and clubs I have a soft spot for, but I think it's much better not having a team

jvalles69, Jordan has had a huge impact on me too - insanely huge like you wouldn't believe. I actually have two signed and framed jerseys, one red and one white, and they're my absolute pride and joy

RaisyDaisy

Looks like Bogut is heading back to GSW!

LaHug

I find that following a team instead of players gives me a similar sense of emotion as following a team in the AFL (although I'll never be attached to anything as much as Richmond - sadly, my girlfriend probably would attest to that...). I chose the Lakers originally because I was 10 years old playing basketball at lunch time and there was this young new star named Kobe Bryant who was the most exciting player in the world. I stuck with them for his whole career and, by the time he retired, I was fully attached to the Purple and Gold. These last few years of tanking and now LeBron potentially saving or potentially destroying the rebuild has been really trying but it'll all be worth it whenever we're eventually back winning.

jvalles69

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 05, 2019, 12:36:46 AM
Yeah this is why I haven't chosen a team to follow - I just don't think it's necessary

I watch heaps of games, and just love watching the best do their thing, and there's plenty of players I really like and clubs I have a soft spot for, but I think it's much better not having a team

jvalles69, Jordan has had a huge impact on me too - insanely huge like you wouldn't believe. I actually have two signed and framed jerseys, one red and one white, and they're my absolute pride and joy

Oh I believe it, I saw MJ play for the first time at the age of 6, have had a basketball in my hand ever since.  Played in the MJ Gatorade 3 on 3 challenge with the hopes of meeting him, but finished 3rd in my division for Perth.  I have a signed and framed picture of him on the wall (also a Rodman jersey and personalised message on a framed picture, and a Kukoc signed penant).  I also have almost every trading card produced up until his first retirement (missing his RC"s which are on my bucket list of things to own).  GOAT for me and my generation.  8)

crowls

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 05, 2019, 08:36:13 AM
jeez it is a good little earner bogut gets every 2nd year isn't it. 

Holz

Quote from: LaHug on March 05, 2019, 11:02:29 AM
I find that following a team instead of players gives me a similar sense of emotion as following a team in the AFL (although I'll never be attached to anything as much as Richmond - sadly, my girlfriend probably would attest to that...). I chose the Lakers originally because I was 10 years old playing basketball at lunch time and there was this young new star named Kobe Bryant who was the most exciting player in the world. I stuck with them for his whole career and, by the time he retired, I was fully attached to the Purple and Gold. These last few years of tanking and now LeBron potentially saving or potentially destroying the rebuild has been really trying but it'll all be worth it whenever we're eventually back winning.

i think you where lucky that your favourite player stayed with the team his whole career.

If instead you followed Lebron then who would you have gone for? you wouldnt have got that really large span of years following the one team.

RD i say pick a young favourite player and support him. If he moves then thats too bad but if he stays his whole career there then you will probably turn into that fan.

jvalles69

Quote from: Holz on March 05, 2019, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: LaHug on March 05, 2019, 11:02:29 AM

i think you where lucky that your favourite player stayed with the team his whole career.

If instead you followed Lebron then who would you have gone for? you wouldnt have got that really large span of years following the one team.

RD i say pick a young favourite player and support him. If he moves then thats too bad but if he stays his whole career there then you will probably turn into that fan.

Definitely, it's a meat market now, but that does add a new dimension to the game.  I'm glad that you didn't count Washington too.  :P

After MJ I followed players I loved, Penny Hardaway, then Dwyane Wade, then Derrick Rose.  I don't think there is anyone I follow now like those days though, just enjoy good basketball.

R.Griffen

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 05, 2019, 08:36:13 AM
Just me or does anyone else think Sydney should block this... It’s a team sport, his team could still be playing. Personally I’d block it until the NBL finals are finished