WXV Vacant Coaching Positions

Started by ossie85, September 29, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

It's a bloody solid application and it's fantastic to see someone new apply.  8)

Nails

Quote from: Nails on September 30, 2014, 04:28:59 PM
I don't know who that kid is, but he has my vote. ^

If you don't get a gig I want to surround myself with you in several XVs comps.

Quote from: Nige on September 30, 2014, 04:30:20 PM
It's a bloody solid application and it's fantastic to see someone new apply.  8)

he can smash my box any day with applications like that.

RaisyDaisy

Alright, so thats one team taken

Who wants the other ?

:P :P

Master Q

Great application, and always good to see a new face applying for a coaching job!

Competition is really heating up  :P

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: meow meow on September 30, 2014, 04:37:31 PM
The "new kid" clearly didn't read the rules if he's applying to coach either the Pumas or Warriors. Lacks attention to detail.

LOL

Hardly a "new kid"

Levis has been around for over a year, just doesnt post heaps ;)

GL with the app Levis :)

AFEV

I would like to apply for one of the coaching positions currently available in WXV, I realise now that my application to reclaim the Revs was premature but hopefully a fresh mindset will aid this attempt. After having taken a massive step back from fantasy football in general to focus on some silly thing, 'life' (whatever that is), things have calmed down majorly and I am stepping back into the fantasy realm slowly but surely.

As far as experience goes, I have just about as much as is possible on this site. I have been a FanFooty member for 6 years and counting and have been involved in the XVs competitions (admittedly on and off) since WXV's inception. I was the inaugural coach for the New York Revolution, and more recently have established the TEN10 league (forum) with Phasir, as well as coaching the Bondi Royals in this league.
In the 2014 season I maintained a connection to the WXV league despite not having a head position by operating as an assistant for Boomz in Tokyo.

As far as my contribution to the league, I was one of the pioneers of the installation of graphical design into the WXV league, along with c4v3m4n and CF we equipped every team with logos and guernseys which added a new dimension to WXV. Should I return as a coach I would of course ensure my newly established team looked sparkly and impressive, as well as helping the other new team with the same thing (also happy to do this if I don't get the spot if I am contacted).

Aside from some periods on the sidelines, I have been an extremely active and amiable community member and would continue high activity on the trade table and in league discussions should I be chosen. I find the concept of drafting between the two lists very intriguing, and would love to participate.

This new set-up will demand new drafting strategies, and is a very unique situation. I anticipate that following this mini-draft large scale trading will have to be undertaken, as there will undoubtedly be unfavoured players that are forced onto the list. Without overextending and revealing potential draft strategies, the usual surplus of midfielders is particularly evident here, and spreading the all-around field excellence of the disbanded Pumas into the shallow talent pool of the Warriors will only inflate the value of D/R/F players beyond their usual mark up.

For what it's worth, my strong preference would be for the Brazilian team for thematic reasons, although as an applicant I'm probably not in a position to be choosing.

Happy to field any and all questions about my past or future intentions either here or via PM.

:)

Hellopplz

Guys, keep it on topic. I'm cranky so don't get on my bad side this week :P.

kilbluff1985

Memphistopheles

Cobras assistant eyes a top job

BREAKING: Cape Town Cobras assistant coach Memphistopheles has thrown his hat in to the ring for the two vacant positions in the Worlds XVs Competition in what club insiders are labeling a shock move.

Memphistopheles held a press conference this morning and Cobras HQ to announce his intention to apply for one of the WXV positions following a successful period as an assistant at Cape Town which saw the club secure a semi final berth this season.

"That taste of finals success has me keen to take on my own position as a head coach in the WXVs and so these coaching opportunities have come about at exactly the right time," he said.

"If you want a coach new to the XVs then I'm not the man for the job but if you want someone who will be super active, participate in discussions forums, keep an updated team thread, suggest potential new rules and be open to trading at all hours of the day then I am the person you want as part of this competition.

"I already suggested a potential rule change for the Worlds XVs competition with regards to OOP Rucks and while unsuccessful it was favoured by some and shows how keen I am to get involved in the community."

Memphistopheles said that those who knew him would that there won't be any waiting around in the initial team draft either.

"I will be wanting to get the drafting out of the way as soon as possible in order to get wheeling and dealing and improving my new team."

"I have extensive head coach experience already in the XVs competitions in the Asians at the Taiwan Dolphins and British at the Staines Steins - both positions I achieved after working my way up from being an assistant (at the Kathmandu Eskimos and Crosby Cruisers respectively).

"Now I have completed an apprenticeship at Cape Town I believe I am also ready to take the next step as a head coach in the Worlds XVs competition."

Cape Town's Head Coach My Chumps had a lengthy discussion with Memphistopheles last night where it was believed his coaching future was discussed.

My Chumps endorsed Memphistopheles for the top jobs although said he would his input at the Cobras - especially in the off-season where his trading and drafting experience came to the fore.

"I absolutely whole-heartedly appreciate the work you do and would still like you at the club, but I encourage you to apply for one of the jobs opening up," he told Cobras TV last night.

Memphistopheles said he would be in favour of the draft format to select his squad but said this wouldn't stop the side he choose from becoming a force in the World XVs competition in the near future.

"My goal if I get this team is to turn it in to a Top 4/Premiership contender as quickly as possible," he said.

"I will trade aggressively in the off-season with the goal of securing a Top 4 spot next year and a preliminary final berth. Anything less than this will be considered a disappointment." 

He also provided the media with a copy of what he believed to be the best XVs for the Sao Paolo Pumas and Wellington Warriors for next season should the teams be kept intact and the draft idea not proceed. It is believed these team lists along with his thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each side would also give the board an idea of his coaching credentials.

Sao Paolo Pumas
Defenders: Shaun Burgoyne, Andrew Walker, Bachar Houli, Beau Waters.
Midfielders: Gary Ablett (C), Rory Sloane, Hamish Hartlett, David Zaharakis
Rucks: Sam Jacobs (VC).
Forwards: Jarryd Roughead, Devon Smith, Jack Gunston, Matt Wright
Utilities: Will Minson, Stephen Hill.
Emergencies: Ryan Harwood, Chris Masten, Jake Stringer.

Team Direction: Any team with Gary Ablett Junior in their side is a genuine Premiership contender and the Sao Paolo Pumas are no different. Their Best XV is exceptionally strong with a couple of slight weaknesses.

The main one is D4 where an injury-prone Beau Waters, Ryan Harwood and Dylan Roberton are all battling for a spot. Bringing in another premium or consistent defender would be my first priority in case Waters' shoulder/elbow/body doesn't hold up and Harwood and Roberton don't develop as hoped.

The second area which could be improved is in the midfielder where the Pumas have good depth at M3/M4/U1/U2/E1 but are lacking a third real gun premium behind Ablett and Sloane. Trading some of these good depth players, who would be Best XV players at another club, for another out-and-out gun would be another priority.

The final area that could be improved is F4. While Matt Wright and Jake Stringer are quality players they are still developing and  I feel one more genuine 90+ average forward would go a long way towards making the Pumas flag favourites in 2015.

Wellington Warriors
Defenders: Chris Yarran, Sean Dempster, Joel Patfull, Xavier Ellis
Midfielders: Marc Murphy (C), Bernie Vince (VC), Isaac Smith, Lachie Whitfield
Rucks: Hamish McIntosh
Forwards: Taylor Walker, Travis Colyer, Lewis Taylor, Jake Neade
Utilities: Tendai Mzungu, Ryan Lester.
Emergencies: Liam Picken, Nathan Foley, Jay Kennedy-Harris.

Team Direction: Wellington's team is an interesting one - while they do have some top-line talent in Marc Murphy, Taylor Walker, Isaac Smith and Bernie Vince and some gun youngsters in Lachie Whitfield, Lewis Taylor and Patrick Cripps there are a few glaring holes in their best XV.

There are a number of obvious areas which will need addressing in the off-season, the first of which is their forward line which is currently looking at having to start Jake Neade, Colin Sylvia, Jay Kennedy-Harris or Adam Schneider as F4. Having a second year player in Lewis Taylor as F3 and a guy who has only just cemented his spot in the Bombers team in Travis Colyer as F2 is not ideal either.

Picking up regular starting forward and a premium forward should be the priorities in the off-season for this club in my opinion.

Additionally their midfield which has been dealt a hammer blow with the retirement of club champion Lenny Hayes which leaves the team very short on depth. Finding a few replacements for him will be crucial to their chances of pushing for a finals spot in 2015.

The other area of concern is in the ruck where the only backups to the injury-prone Hamish McIntosh are the vastly inexperienced Jack Hannath, Tom Downie and Max King. Finding some support for McIntosh in this area either through the draft or trading is another crucial off-season job.

One area the team is strong in is defensive depth with Xavier Ellis, Liam Picken, Rory Thompson, Mitch Golby, Dale Morris, Nick Smith and perhaps Kristian Jaksch (if he finds  new club) in the mix as D4/cover options. Trading a couple of these guys for some midfielders/forwards or a ruckman would be an ideal outcome.

RaisyDaisy

ossie85

Great applications!

Just a reminder, you aren't applying for either the Pumas or the Warriors. You are applying for one of two positions, and the winning 2 coaches will draft players from the former squads of Sao Paulo and Wellington.

Vinny

Nails

Updated team thread memph?  You won't get my vote with that shower

Ricochet

Memphistopheles

Quote from: ossie85 on October 01, 2014, 12:49:26 PM

Great applications!

Just a reminder, you aren't applying for either the Pumas or the Warriors. You are applying for one of two positions, and the winning 2 coaches will draft players from the former squads of Sao Paulo and Wellington.

I realise that - but how can we show that we know what we are talking about without talking about those clubs?

Someone could talk about which players they would take in the draft in what order but then if they did get the job they would be at a disadvantage to the other coach as they would have an idea of who they were going to to pick and could 'trump' them.

PS - I took the liberty of designing a Christchurch Saints logo based on the New Orleans Saints and Wellington's colours.