Main Menu

The Richmond Off-Season Megathread

Started by Nige, September 09, 2014, 07:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Quote from: shaker on November 28, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on November 27, 2014, 11:20:29 PM
I back our recruiting staff to pick Ellis over Laverde and Weller, given that they have been doing exceptionally well the past few seasons.

Yeah agree none of these 3 are sure bets to make the grade it's a lottery overall happy with our picks , the only thing I'm not happy with was that with pick 12 our best we did not grab a ready made hard nut like Robinson for nicks in the trade period as I doubt any of these young guys are going to see any game time this year and probably little the next

Both Menadue & Ellis won't see much action next year, a combination of Weller & Blakely will almost certainly make an immediate impact. All things being equal, this would have tipped the scales for me, we are now officially in our premiership window, every year we spend developing players is another year down the gurglar with our A-team. Our pace deficit disorder will not be fixed next season, Menadue is still 10kg away from senior football, Drummond I'm not sold on, his disposal can be shoddy. Blair just better get a big name like Dangerfield or we'll be jogging on the spot. Port have strengthened their list, even Brisbane look to be making huge strides, and I loved their draft selections too. Based on our trading & recruiting I can't see how or where the improvement will come from.

Jroo

I like Blakely. We may have thought that he wouldn't be there at #32, so that's why we had to grab Ellis at #12.

Bully

Quote from: JROO8 on November 28, 2014, 12:27:55 PM
I like Blakely. We may have thought that he wouldn't be there at #32, so that's why we had to grab Ellis at #12.

We didn't play the odds in my opinion, both Blakely & Neal-Bullen were still on the board. If these guys went early, Miller would have slid down the order. We were really lucky Menadue wasn't snapped up because we would have been reaching for Drummond. Freo played it beautifully, they rated Weller even despite the fact they were desperate for a tall. They got top marks from me.

Mat0369

Quote from: elephants on November 27, 2014, 11:50:19 PM
Haha Blaine Boekhurst supports the Blues just so you know :p

So does Reece McKenzie  :(

Vinny

Quote from: Mat0369 on November 28, 2014, 01:05:19 PM

Cannot believe we didn't pick him.

Kellogscrunchynut

Do we have a pick in the pre-season draft?

Bully

Quote from: Vinny on November 28, 2014, 01:09:14 PM

Blues butchered the draft in my opinion, both Boekhorst & DVR were a reach. The former was certain to be available at 28 and the latter was more of a third rounder. Laverde & Goddard would have been super picks at 19.

Ricochet

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 02:24:55 PM

Blues butchered the draft in my opinion, both Boekhorst & DVR were a reach. The former was certain to be available at 28 and the latter was more of a third rounder. Laverde & Goddard would have been super picks at 19.
Word was Essendon would have taken Boekhorst at 20

Vinny

Yeah I'm pretty annoyed, what could have been. :'(

shaker

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 12:22:19 PM
I back our recruiting staff to pick Ellis over Laverde and Weller, given that they have been doing exceptionally well the past few seasons.

Yeah agree none of these 3 are sure bets to make the grade it's a lottery overall happy with our picks , the only thing I'm not happy with was that with pick 12 our best we did not grab a ready made hard nut like Robinson for nicks in the trade period as I doubt any of these young guys are going to see any game time this year and probably little the next

Both Menadue & Ellis won't see much action next year, a combination of Weller & Blakely will almost certainly make an immediate impact. All things being equal, this would have tipped the scales for me, we are now officially in our premiership window, every year we spend developing players is another year down the gurglar with our A-team. Our pace deficit disorder will not be fixed next season, Menadue is still 10kg away from senior football, Drummond I'm not sold on, his disposal can be shoddy. Blair just better get a big name like Dangerfield or we'll be jogging on the spot. Port have strengthened their list, even Brisbane look to be making huge strides, and I loved their draft selections too. Based on our trading & recruiting I can't see how or where the improvement will come from.

Ellis has got good skills some said he was in the top bracket in that department it is a shame he was injured and could not show anything before the draft the other picks are all players with good pace even the big guy in the future Ellis is player to be feeding these pacy players with the ball how many make the cut well like every club we have to wait and see , our improvement will come from players like Lennon , Vlastuin hopefully McBean can show something Conca needs to show something this year he has been dragging his heels and some of the fringe players , but yes the young guys will not see any game time but still think we can improve  ;)

Bully

Quote from: Ricochet on November 28, 2014, 02:29:26 PM

Really? I heard that it was Collingwood & Freo interested, Essendon weren't in the picture.

Quote from: shaker on November 28, 2014, 03:20:05 PM
Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 12:22:19 PM

Ellis has got good skills some said he was in the top bracket in that department it is a shame he was injured and could not show anything before the draft the other picks are all players with good pace even the big guy in the future Ellis is player to be feeding these pacy players with the ball how many make the cut well like every club we have to wait and see , our improvement will come from players like Lennon , Vlastuin hopefully McBean can show something Conca needs to show something this year he has been dragging his heels and some of the fringe players , but yes the young guys will not see any game time but still think we can improve  ;)

None of those guys have pace, this is our glaring weakness. Next year we will be relying solely on Drummond and I can't see it to be honest. The two players I was really keen on were Cocky & Weller, the former was snapped up early but we missed a golden opportunity to get the next best option. I really hope Port, Geelong, Freo & Hawthorn don't increase the gap but I get the sense that this is happening.

Ricochet

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 03:34:20 PM

Really? I heard that it was Collingwood & Freo interested, Essendon weren't in the picture.
Yep, it was always Carlton v Essendon. Thats why he had to go at 19 if Carlton wanted him that bad

Bully

Quote from: Ricochet on November 28, 2014, 03:37:36 PM

Yep, it was always Carlton v Essendon. Thats why he had to go at 19 if Carlton wanted him that bad

Essendon win that little stoush, Laverde is a gun in the making.

Ricochet

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 03:42:41 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 28, 2014, 03:37:36 PM

Essendon win that little stoush, Laverde is a gun in the making.
Yeh it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Boekhorst has so much upside also, and there'll be a reason why Laverde slipped.

shaker

Bully you say none have pace Menadue , Drummond and Reece finished 3rd 6th and 2nd in the 20m sprint test and Butler is quoted as being pacy with good lateral movement and how many did we win in row with no fast players ? yes we need some new fast players but you make it sound like we are snails  :P