Main Menu

The Richmond Off-Season Megathread

Started by Nige, September 09, 2014, 07:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Quote from: Nige on November 14, 2014, 08:45:25 PM
Quote from: elephants on November 14, 2014, 08:22:56 PM
I think given the option we will take Weller over Duggan (if that means anything haha)
I think given the option, most teams would take Weller over Duggan.

Cool, just saying WCE is one of those :p

Bully

Quote from: Nige on November 14, 2014, 09:18:12 PM
Quote from: Toga on November 14, 2014, 08:54:31 PM
Quote from: Nige on November 14, 2014, 08:45:25 PM
Quote from: elephants on November 14, 2014, 08:22:56 PM
I think given the option we will take Weller over Duggan (if that means anything haha)
I think given the option, most teams would take Weller over Duggan.

Twomey thinks Richmond would take Duggan over Weller atm
This bugs me.

I like Duggan, I really do... like I think he'll be a great player, but I don't really want him at Richmond and I can't work out why.

Duggan still has the makings of a Chris Newman, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think he has the upside of Weller. At the moment we desperately need run & carry players, Weller is that very player and I also think many in the media are selling short his inside game. He's only 72kg yet has still managed to mix it with VFL players in terms of contested possessions, considering he should put on an additional 10 kg his ceiling is huge.

My concerns with Duggan mainly stem from his lack of power in the first 3 steps and his lack of agility. He's also been tagged out of matches at TAC level and I have some questions about his ability to handle the extra attention at AFL level. I'm seeing his absolute ceiling being a Kade Simpson type, his kicking is first class and his tackling is also top notch. He'll probably make for a wingman but not a speedy type. Having both Ellis & Duggan on the wings makes us a bit one paced in my opinion, we really need our own version of Brad Hill in the side.

Toga

Quote from: Bully on November 15, 2014, 06:03:15 PM
Duggan still has the makings of a Chris Newman, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think he has the upside of Weller.

^ Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Duggan vs Weller!

Nige

He'll probably make for a wingman but not a speedy type.
Shaun Grigg is kinda like that, but Duggan can actually football.

Bully

Quote from: Nige on November 15, 2014, 06:28:19 PM
He'll probably make for a wingman but not a speedy type.
Shaun Grigg is kinda like that, but Duggan can actually football.

At the moment he's still very outside so I can see the similarities, he's a much better kick though, and has a better defensive game. Cavka is the one who would be an upgrade on Grigg, his work rate is exceptional and I think he will make an impact in 2015.

Nige

Paige's latest phantom draft has us getting Lachie Weller, Toby McLean, Matt Goodyear and Taylor Grace. I'd be rapt with that haul.

Toga

Don't know much about the others apart from Weller yet, what kind of players are they?

Nige

Quote from: Toga on November 17, 2014, 08:05:50 PM
Don't know much about the others apart from Weller yet, what kind of players are they?
I'll list the player comparisons, might be best way to explain them.

Toby McLean is compared to Jamie Elliott. Also was runner-up in TAC B&F and was best on in the granny.
Matt Goodyear is compared to Jono O'Rourke. Speedy, wins the ball, good defensive game.
Taylor Grace is compared to Nick Dal Santo. He's a year older than most of the guys (95 born as opposed to 96). Racks it up, good footy brain, not the quickest though.

Toga

Cool Nige, that's a good start to explaining how they play for sure!

As you know by now I am set on Weller and really hope we get him as I think he's exactly what we are crying out for! McLean sounds like he would fill another need for us in that crafty small fwd role which will be important that we start developing someone for. Added midfield depth is always a plus, wouldn't mind seeing some more versatile types with our later picks though. Can't wait for the draft!

Nige

Bully

For me it's Cockatoo, Weller or Wright, be stoked with any.

Second round, I reckon we'll get a shot at Gore, Cavka or Webb, again will be happy with any.

Third round I have a slightly longer list, most will be taken but one is sure to drop. Bampton, Lonie, Boekhorst & Rose.

Fourth round both Daniel & McGrath are the steals. McGuiness & Beasley would also have to come under serious consideration.

Grazz

Nige

Quote from: Bully on November 17, 2014, 11:53:08 PM
For me it's Cockatoo, Weller or Wright, be stoked with any.

Second round, I reckon we'll get a shot at Gore, Cavka or Webb, again will be happy with any.

Third round I have a slightly longer list, most will be taken but one is sure to drop. Bampton, Lonie, Boekhorst & Rose.

Fourth round both Daniel & McGrath are the steals. McGuiness & Beasley would also have to come under serious consideration.
Weller.
Gore, Webb.
Lonie, Rose.
Daniel, McGuinness.

From the names you've mentioned, I'd like those fellas.

Toga

Trent Cotchin could be in line for a massive contract extension with Richmond

Sounds like we're going to be looking at a massive contract to lock away Cotch now that he's entering free agency, good news!

The article also mentions that Rance will open contract talks after Christmas, but it seems unlikely he'll want to move unless he doesn't get the contract that he deserves.

Dustin Martin has returned to training in quality shape which is good to hear, must admit I was a bit worried seeing all the photos of him and Swanny in Vegas :P But it's good to hear that he's also hoping to re-sign with Richmond before he is out of contract at the end of 2015.