Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomK

It's not unreasonable to think we have a problem with retaining talent but I do think money and family are the main reasons. It's all about family with Danger, and with Mardi who he has been with since high school, the pull of home was always there.

Danger will get to Geelong no matter what and I'm sure they're not going to turn down trading for him. I don't think we are going to try and completely screw over the Cats, GHS and a 1st is probably what Geelong would offer to start with but he wouldn't be in our best 22 and we'd want a player who would. Motlop would've been perfect but him re-signing puts that scenario to bed.

It will be interesting to see how the AFL handle the situation if we do match, since it'd be the first time.

Mat0369

I'm sorry but there is no way Adelaide match the offer to trade him. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional and doesn't understand the system.

Big Mac

Quote from: Mat0369 on September 20, 2015, 02:38:57 AM
I'm sorry but there is no way Adelaide match the offer to trade him. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional and doesn't understand the system.

Yeh I can't see it happening either

Adelaide will be stuck with pick 13 or whatever it is

TomK

Quote from: Big  Mac on September 20, 2015, 02:45:42 AM

Why do you guys think that?

Mat0369

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 20, 2015, 01:01:35 AM
Maybe it has occurred in NFL (what the AFL free agency system is based on), however I'm unfamiliar with that sporting code

Sign and trades is more of an NBA thing but that is a different system.  In the NFL the way RFA's work is you put a draft pick tender on a FA's head. If a team wants that player they have to give up the pick for that round to sign him. So using Danger as an example, Crows put a 1st tender on him, if Carlton want to sign him they give up pick 1. Cats would give up their first. Tenders are set by monetary compensation and the team has a right of refusal and can match the offer sheet.

In the NBA player x can get a deal with team y. Team z, their existing team, can sign the player to the matched contract and then trade him to team y for compensation in a deal. The reason this can work in the NBA is because teams have smaller rosters and can either protect picks, trade future picks in like 5 years time and also can trade future pick swaps. Future pick trades are only starting this year so teams don't have arsenal of assets and can't organise swaps or picks from lets say 4 years in the future.

I am also pretty sure it is against AFL rules to trade a player in the first year of his contract with the team. If Danger's offer is matched it is against league rules to then trade him. You will also have the AFL PA get involved.

Which is only a few spots different then what they would get from the Cats anyway. It's just stupid

Mat0369

Quote from: TomK on September 20, 2015, 02:55:57 AM

Why do you guys think that?

Read above

Bill Manspeaker

without reading what ya wrote mat, I think it comes down to if he wants to play elsewhere, whatever the reason is, there's not much sense matching a certain offer if he doesn't wanna be there

Mat0369

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on September 20, 2015, 03:05:44 AM
without reading what ya wrote mat, I think it comes down to if he wants to play elsewhere, whatever the reason is, there's not much sense matching a certain offer if he doesn't wanna be there

It's basically the last paragraph. They can't trade him if they match the offer anyway since it is against league rules to then trade him. If they match he will be staying, it isn't a bargaining chip

Mat0369

I am also going to add that if Geelong really wanted to be pricks they could price Adelaide out on a one year deal. Basically they would just offer a 1 year contract at something like $1.2 mill so the Crows can't afford it, back end the other guys deals before signing him to a 4 year deal for the rest of the money discussed. That could also screw the Crows compo pick since contract length is one of the factors and could see it drop to the back of round 1.

If the Crows really want more compo for Danger their best bet is to sit down with him and discuss a trade option like they used to do. If he does leave the best compo they are going to get is the compo pick straight after theirs. It might be worth organising a 'side deal' in where the Cats trade a player at a significantly lower cost then their market value. So basically it is a throw in and works around the system which is built to be at the benefit of the players, not the clubs. Matching the offer to trade is not an option

Toga

So if Schulz is re-signed, and McCarthy isn't going to be traded by GWS... What does Fremantle do? Go after an Aaron Black type, or do they just hope to rely on Pavlich for another year and try again?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Toga on September 20, 2015, 11:16:19 AM
So if Schulz is re-signed, and McCarthy isn't going to be traded by GWS... What does Fremantle do? Go after an Aaron Black type, or do they just hope to rely on Pavlich for another year and try again?

Lyon realizes that he can't win a premiership with Freo and leaves (With Zac Dawson) and takes over Adelaide.

jvalles69

Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 20, 2015, 12:24:14 PM

Lyon realizes that he can't win a premiership with Freo and leaves (With Zac Dawson) and takes over Adelaide.

That scenario is probably the odds on favourite...

powersuperkents

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 20, 2015, 12:51:17 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 20, 2015, 12:24:14 PM

That scenario is probably the odds on favourite...
No no... completely wrong... he collects a player from each club he coaches so it will be Dawson and a Docker. By the time he reaches his 23rd club, he'll have his own team

Grazz

Quote from: TomK on September 19, 2015, 11:50:24 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on September 19, 2015, 11:25:23 PM
Quote from: Jayman on September 19, 2015, 09:59:56 PM
Quote from: AaronKirk on September 19, 2015, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on September 19, 2015, 06:07:01 PM
Word is Cats are going to offer Danger a 5 year deal but Crows will match it...

Will they match over $1m a season?
Pick a number. They'll match it.
I thought the Crows would easily get 1st round compo for Dangerfield

They cannot complain now though, they were offered both picks 2 & 3 last season for him and turned it down.

I know they are matching it so they can trade him and get something out of Geelong. But I don't really agree with it, Dangerfield has respected his contract with the Crows and hasn't formally said anything about his decision, as a professional athlete should. The Crows should respect him for it and the services he's provided, let him go, and collect the compo.

Making the process difficult for Dangerfield would be perceived negatively around the AFL. Especially when the logical choice (even at the time people criticised the Crows decision to turn down the Demon's offer) was rejected by the Crows last year. Either way the Crows have won. They have had a fantastic player for the last 5-7 years and will get first round compo upon his departure. Sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.

Don't think the Crows can match $1mil per season with Tex, Betts, & a recently contracted Sloane as well tbh (Danger already cashes in $600k per season...). They have already been in trouble with Tippett and if they somehow offer over $1mil per season, I don't think it would be worth having the AFL investing their books  :P
What a load of shower.

First of all, Melbourne did not offer 2 & 3, it was all speculation and Danger would never had agreed to go to the Dees, he always intended on fulfilling his contract.

''The Crows should respect him for it and the services he's provided, let him go, and collect the compo.'' Oh turn it up! As soon as Danger accepts Geelongs offer, he is the enemy just like Geelong are and forcing them to trade for him would weaken them. Why on earth would we just roll over and give in? He is a top 5 player in the league and you think we should just accept pick 13-15 or whatever saying it is a ''win-win''? Far out, a mid 1st rounder is not a flowering 'win'. He is at least worth two top 10 picks and getting a mid 1st rounder in a weak draft is a load of shower.

I don't think the club would actually give a flower if it was perceived negatively around the AFL. When we lose immense talent all the time such as Danger, Gunston, Tippett, Davis and Bock, giving in and taking the compo is a terrible decision and the supporters will be furious, we're sick of it.
^
This.  ;)

powersuperkents

In all seriousness though, Lyons has worked on youth (he's learned from his mistakes at St Kilda) and the whole point of Matt Taberner's development is a succession plan to replace Pav.

Whether Tabs can actually do it is another question - unlike the top drafted key forwards (and prodigies) he has doubtful potential. Pav was a top pick in the draft which implies he had natural talent and is technically advanced. Tab was in the rookie draft, which doesn't mean he's bad by any means, but implies that he will be the type of player who really has to work hard to earn his spot and retain it.

I've backed him myself, but I would not be surprised if Lyons seeks a replacement (he's use to having a Nroo/Pav type - just as much as a Milne/Balla type)