Main Menu

Hawks Listed VFL Review

Started by Mr.Craig, August 27, 2014, 12:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

The finals are still to come but I thought I'd have a look at the Hawthorn players who didn't play a senior game this year and have spent their time in the VFL or Vic Development League.

James Sicily - Excellent debut season, playing 15 games for Box Hill. Started off with a bang, kicking 8 goals in his first 5 games and finished with 14. Averaged 11.1 disposals, 3.8 marks and 2 tackles. Needs to find a bit more of the ball but in his last 2 games racked up season highs of 26 and 17 disposals which shows good signs for the future. He's a similar height to Breust and will hopefully become an energetic half forward in the same mould.

Jordan Kelly - Absolutely sensational year with the mid sized defender being named in the best for 8/17 games. Provided great run and hit the scoreboard on occasions in the second half of the year. Averaged 19 disposals, 4.5 marks, 8 handball receives and 2.8 tackles. Sometimes Jordan's kicking let him down but he has definitely taken a step forward in his development. 2015 will be his fourth season on the list and it's a make or break year, we will have to wait and see if he can force his way into what is a pretty strong back 6.

Sam Grimley - It's very disappointing that we haven't gotten another look at Grimley given all the injuries we've had this year. After kicking 28 goals last season he bagged 38.18 in 2014. Managed to find a bit of the ball at times and continued to help out in the ruck when needed - averaging 10.7 disposals, 4 marks, 1.7 marks and 3 hit outs. He's been very valuable to Box Hill but as a Hawthorn player I have a feeling he may be used in trade negotiations or even delisted. With Hale nearing the end it may possibly save him for another year.

Kaiden Brand - Second year on the list and has made good strides, cementing a place in the VFL side and being named in the best a few times. I was a bit unsure when we picked him up but with Lake and Gibbo getting on and Shoey in and out of the side his value continues to increase. 198cm, composed with ball in hand and can take a good grab but needs to work a little on his contested game. Averaged 12.4 disposals, 4.7 marks and 2 tackles. A 2015 debut is not out of the question and he should feature in the NAB Cup.

Dallas Willsmore - Dallas split his time between the Dev League and VFL, proving to be a decent goalkicker with 17 from 16 games across the two competitions. It's too early to say where he goes from here but there's some positive signs with a VFL average of 11.9 disposals, 4.3 marks and 2.3 tackles. Some chance at being upgraded off the rookie list in 2015.

Zac Webster - The Taswegian played most of the year for Box Hill but his season has been ended by a hamstring injury. Still rough around the edges but he's shown a bit in his first year. It's hard to see him getting a look in any time soon with Breust, Poppy and Cyril around so I'd imagine Zac will be given another couple of years to develop. Averaged 11.6 disposals, 1.2 marks and 2.8 tackles.

Shem Tatupu - Big Shem only managed to play four games in the Dev League and he's got a long, long way to go yet but some of his highlights give hope for the future. Let's hope he sticks with it because he the kind of guy who could put shivers through opposition defenders.

Kurt Heatherley - The Hawks have put years of development into Heatherley and it appears he's still got a ways to go. He has often found himself at the foot of the stats sheet this year but his defensive work has been pretty good at times. Had a taste of the NAB this year and we should see him again in 2015 but a place in the senior side won't be forthcoming soon. Averaged 9.3 disposals, 3.4 marks and 2.1 tackles.

Siope Ngata - Selected as an International Scholarship holder in 2013, Siope turned 17 last week and is eligible to be rookie listed at the end of 2015. Yet to debut in any competition.

The Rest - Wanganeen and Lowden both played just a single game for Hawthorn this year. Lowden is in a similar boat to Grimley and may try his luck at another club but I have a feeling we'll view him as a required player. Wanganeen on the other hand seems a certainty to be delisted in my opinion. After a promising NAB he fell right off the radar and despite doing some good things at half back I can't see it being enough to hold his spot on the list. All the other players who were in and out of the team (Woodward, Hartung, Ross, Cheney, Hallahan, Litherland, Simpkin etc.) should be sticking around next year.

Nige

Sicily's great and I really like Grimley too. You have to wonder whether it's worth Grimley moving clubs to get an opportunity.

Mr.Craig

I think StK, Melb and WB could all have some potential use for him if the decision is made to part company.

JBs-Hawks

Pretty grim reviews other than Sicily and Kelly

henry

Hallahan and Hartung for me are hugely promising, and should get more opportunities next year. Kelly too has been impressive and hopefully he gets a few games next year.

Mr.Craig