Main Menu

What next for Hampson?

Started by Jester, June 08, 2014, 10:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Hampson had been dropped this week. He added value as first ruck while Maric was injured but with Maric back what value does Hampson bring?

Would we have been better off passing on Hampson and keeping Derickx and Orren as the backup ruckman?

Carlton traded pick 33 for Docherty. I could see the quality young rebounding defender slotting well into our side.

Opportunity missed?

Nige

He's definitely worth keeping around.

I like to think of it this way: If we didn't have Hampson while Maric was on the sidelines, even though the team hasn't been doing well as a whole, imagine how much worse it would have been.

Jester

Agreed.

However, what are your thoughts on Derickx and his performance at Sydney in the absence of Pyke?

In my opinion Dericks has been very important this year. I feel Derickx could have played the role Hampson has if he stayed at Richmond.

Would you agree?

Nige

I was never Tom Derickx's biggest fan and really only ever saw him as a guy who was like 4th in line while he was on our list. I thought he was okay at best and didn't see him having a future at our club.

However, I'm generally pretty happy to see any Richmond player go elsewhere and flourish as Derickx has at Sydney. He's done very well and Sydney clearly rate him. If he'd shown that with us, maybe we would never had needed to recruit Hampson, but what's done is done. Derickx seems to be a bit better around the ground, which is obviously very handy but I still think Hampson can come good if we invest some time into teaching him how to kick and improve his efforts across the park.

Ziplock

I always rated him, so I'm glad he's getting a decent crack now :P

Jroo

Hampson is a very good tap ruckman. He just can't do much around the ground.
Pick 33 was overs, we could've got him cheaper.

Toga

Pick 33 was overs but we'd have been flowered if we didn't get him so not a big deal I don't think. We need him as insurance although I think the tall combination we're taking into today's game is our strongest at the moment so he might not be a regular anymore.

As for Derickx, he never showed a great deal at Richmond so I think it was the right move for us to delist him in the end. But sometimes a change of clubs is what a player needs to really kickstart their development (see: Ivan Maric), so it is good to see him doing well at Sydney and I hope he can hold his spot.

Master Q

Quote from: JROO8 on June 08, 2014, 12:38:50 PM
Hampson is a very good tap ruckman. He just can't do much around the ground.
Pick 33 was overs, we could've got him cheaper.
He's also a giant target up front, but I suppose you have Jack and Vickery. But his kicking sorta cancels that out anyway  :P

elephants

He brings Megan Gale.

Pick 33 is overs? Pfft, she's worth pick 5 alone. Hampson is a bonus.

GoLions

Quote from: elephants on June 08, 2014, 11:46:01 PM
He brings Megan Gale.

Pick 33 is overs? Pfft, she's worth pick 5 alone. Hampson is a bonus.
Couldn't agree with you more ele ;)