Is it worth agonising over premium combinations?

Started by Cool9, March 14, 2010, 04:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool9

Just a couple of thoughts on premium selection - and should we spend our time agonising over which ones to choose.

Personally, I don't think premium selection is going to make or break teams as you basically know they're good for 100+ each week - a few points per week is probably neither here nor there in the overall scheme of things. What's more important is getting the right balance of premiums and rookies, as well as a few shrewd mid-pricer selections ... that's where the big advances are made. Once balance is right, I say pick premiums you think represent outstanding value, then the rest of premiums should basically be the players you like watching.

Others may see things differently but thought I'd put up for discussion.

MC

If you're going to spend the time doing the research, you may as well reap the rewards. Personally i like watching players more so when they ARE in my team, as this gives me something to support haha.
A few points could well be the difference between winning the thing and finishing out of the top 50 for example, as 10-20 points per week will mean 220-440 points at the end of the season!

ossie85

I'm inclined to agree. Pick who you want, and back them.

Cool9

Yeah, a few points could make the difference but only if the team had the rookies & midpricers and overall balance to keep up with the best teams. I just reckon picking the right premiums is probably more luck / guess work than judgement at the selection table so why worry too much about it. By all means worry about getting the cheaper players right!

Alex7089

Agreed it is more important to get the mid-price/rookies right than to get premiums right although getting the right premiums is important as well, really the difference between winning and finishing outside the top 50 is how you use your trades. It is pointless to have the right mid-pricers if you trade them out at the right time and milk them for all they are worth.

West Coast Fanatics

Right now I am brewing over Mitchell, Selwood and Bartel  :-\

Alex7089

Go for Selwood mate, he is a freak and will only go up.

Sams-Town

Alex7089

Yes. But only just, both are really good options with good chances of bringing their averages up to around the same as Hayes, Goddard, Swan and Montagna. Really looking like they will score about the same but I just have a personal preference for Selwood because he was so good to me last year.

Sams-Town

ok cool thanks mate I might have to toss a coin on this one  :D

Alex7089

Yeah that is seeming like the safest option t the moment.

brownmans muffins

a key bit of analysis for me when filling out the premium spots is getting the guys with low floors (don't drop drastically in price ofte) VS the 'watch list / upgrade' guys who manage to pull out a 50 or 60 here and there to make them more affordable during the season

Alex7089

Yes BM, for me this was a key part of saying no to Mitchell, great player and can pull monster scores but can also whip out a 40 here and there to send his BE sky-high.

MissPies

Quote from: Cool9 on March 14, 2010, 04:38:11 AM
Just a couple of thoughts on premium selection - and should we spend our time agonising over which ones to choose.

Personally, I don't think premium selection is going to make or break teams as you basically know they're good for 100+ each week - a few points per week is probably neither here nor there in the overall scheme of things. What's more important is getting the right balance of premiums and rookies, as well as a few shrewd mid-pricer selections ... that's where the big advances are made. Once balance is right, I say pick premiums you think represent outstanding value, then the rest of premiums should basically be the players you like watching.

Others may see things differently but thought I'd put up for discussion.

Sc is so diff to DT read my most current post on choosing your team.
I will stress this again SC is about accuracy..find the player you like check his accuracy. possesions yearly points from SC and go from there.

Cool9

QuoteSc is so diff to DT read my most current post on choosing your team.
I will stress this again SC is about accuracy..find the player you like check his accuracy. possesions yearly points from SC and go from there.

Yes, you are right. This is a supercoach forum