Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on July 08, 2015, 06:13:12 PM
Only one change between ours. You had Toumpas and I had Trengove, interesting.

Ah, the forgotten man. Still love him, but out of my team due to him simply not playing for a long time.

Saw at Demonland they reckon Trenners could play Cross's role eventually. I tend to agree.

Big Mac

Melbourne FC ‏@melbournefc
Paul Roos media conference: James Harmes has been elevated from rookie to senior list

Big Mac

Gus training with the main group so should play this week

Barra13

With those two up and about, I think it'd be something like;

OUT: Matt Jones, Rohan Bail, Billy Stretch, Jake Spencer
IN: Jack Grimes, James Harmes, Aaron vandenBerg, Heritier Lumumba

JKH could also be an in somewhere this week. Looks like some good ins this week though.

Purple 77

Yeah, should be great ins this week.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Vanders back in, and also keen to have a look at Harmsey!

LF

Nooooooo I need Spencer to play because of Maric being suspended

Barra13

I think you're out of luck there LF. It is going to be a wet game and it would be going in too tall. Almost certain he will be dropped.

Purple 77

Barra13

MELBOURNE has signed rookie success story Aaron vandenBerg for two years, tying him to the club until the end of 2017.

The 23-year-old was taken in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft from Canberra-based club Ainslie with the second pick behind St Kilda's Jack Sinclair.

vandenBerg played the first 10 games before suffering a hamstring injury in the Queen's Birthday clash against Collingwood, but is once again available for selection this week.

He told AFL.com.au he has enjoyed every minute so far and was rapt to be able to commit to the Demons.

"It's not every day you get paid to do what you love to do," vandenBerg said.

"The group I am around is a really good group, and I'm pretty excited about where they're heading as well."

He averaged 17.5 disposals and more than five tackles a game, bringing a hard, strong, aggressive presence to the stoppage, his effort particularly significant given he had to overcome a shoulder problem before joining full training.

He admits a full pre-season under his belt will help and says there are plenty of areas in which he can improve as he continues to work on being clean with the footy, making quick early decisions and his skills.

vandenBerg credited former Adelaide player Robert Shirley, who was an assistant at Ainslie after 151 games with the Crows, for simultaneously building in him both a belief that he had the talent to play AFL and that he needed to change his mindset to realise that talent.

After the Demons chose him, recruiting manager Jason Taylor told him to work hard, keep a level head and listen to the coaches before development coach Shannon Byrnes took him around the club.

"I was pretty taken by everything that was involved … from the amount of coaching and support staff, even the amount of footies on the ground," vandenBerg said.

He soon latched on to highly respected midfielder Daniel Cross and is trying to follow his lead.

"In my opinion, he's the most professional bloke at the club," vandenBerg said.

"I'm always trying to snag him to do some extra stuff after training."

Demons' football manager Josh Mahoney said the mature-age recruit had exceeded expectations, particularly as he arrived at the club with a shoulder injury, and through his willingness to listen and attack training had set up a solid foundation for an AFL career.

"Aaron plays the right way," Mahoney told AFL.com.au.

"He is competitive, loves to tackle and with his size and running ability compliments our midfield group. We look forward to Aaron continuing to develop his AFL attributes further."

vandenBerg said his initial approach hadn't changed.

"I needed to listen along the way and try to learn, week in week out, as much as I possibly could to get a go - and luckily I did," he said.

Barra13

ROOKIE James Harmes says he’s over the moon about making his AFL debut against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday.

The midfielder was told by coach Paul Roos late on Thursday afternoon that he would play his first game for Melbourne this round.

“I was just about to jump in the ice baths and Mahns (Josh Mahoney) gave me a call and said ‘can you come up to the office’,” he told Dee TV.

“So I walked up there and I wasn’t really sure what was going to happen.

“I found out the good news and they (the match committee) played a prank on me. They said I can’t play this weekend [in the VFL … because I was playing in the AFL]. They broke the news to me and I was pretty happy.”

Harmes said “it was pretty crazy” to hear the news, given he was a Melbourne supporter growing up.

“As a kid I grew up for Melbourne and now to pull on the jumper this weekend, it’ll be unbelievable,” he said.

“When I found out I was going to be elevated today (Thursday), things turned a little bit for me and I thought I could sneak in this weekend.

“I got the call-up, so I’m pretty excited just to get out there on Saturday.”

Selected at No.2 in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft in November 2013, Harmes said his journey had been “very challenging” so far.

“I’ve had to get over a few little speed humps along the way, but it’s the best life and it’s really enjoyable,” he said.

“I love coming [to the club] every day to be with my mates and playing footy, so it’s been tough, but I’ve loved every minute of it.”

Hailing from Devon Meadows/Dandenong Stingrays, Harmes said he relished the opportunity even more, having joined the club as a rookie.

“It’s a lot harder to get an actual game, so over the last couple of months I’ve been working on a lot of things,” he said.

“I’ve been doing as much extra as I can, by going and seeing the coaches and doing the ice baths and extra touch.

“I’ve been proactive and as the coaches always say ‘I’ve been taking ownership of my career’, so that’s what I’ve really tried to work on. Last year, I wasn’t as professional as I should’ve been and I was still only an 18-year-old kid coming out of the TAC Cup.

“This year, I feel like my professionalism has gone to another level.”

Harmes said Bernie Vince and Nathan Jones had taken him under his wing.

“From day one, Jonesy was getting around me, so probably those two boys [have had the biggest influence on me],” he said.

“All of the boys are great people â€" and great people to be around.

“Everyone has had a great influence on me.”

The fact that Harmes has had red and blue running through his veins for his entire life is the cherry on top for the 19-year-old.

“Unfortunately, my mum and my sister are over in Europe at the moment … so that’s bad luck, you’re not going to see me debut,” he said.

“I’m sure that they’ll watch it somewhere.

“It’s going to be unbelievable. I always wanted to do it (play for Melbourne), but for it to finally happen, it’s just crazy â€" words can’t describe what I’m feeling right now. I’m just grateful for the opportunity that everyone’s given me and I just can’t wait to get out there on Saturday.”

Big Mac

Great story from someone on Demonland - 'Chomp' is Harmes' nickname

"'Chomp' comes up to Yarra every summer and this year he spent new years there. Old man is a taxi driver so they got talking about footy and without harms mentioning anything about being an AFL player dad said he barracked for the Dees, when in turn James mentioned he was a rookie list player. Dad being a passionate supporter was pumped and they got talking for a while about footy etc.. When dad had to drop him off he managed to get a selfie with Chomp and he turned around and offered his support to my younger brother who is playing for under 15s Vic Country this year by giving dad his number! Chomp then offered to ring me little brother and say g'day to which he was little star struck given he is only 14 years old.. Harmes offered some handy advise and tips and wished him all the best. Dad said he was by far the best 18 year old he has dealt with being such a mature kid for his age and the way he has gone out of his way to keep in touch with my little brother. There was no arrogance or cockiness just a down to earth kid who was just as pumped to meet another demon supporter.

Dad sent an email to the footy club complimenting on what a terrific young kid he was and the way he had gone out his way to do what he has done for my little brother. Dad mentioned that he wanted this email to go straight to Paul Roos and Peter Jackson. Dads already promised him free taxi rides Lol

Against Sydney this year Chomp got free tickets for my family and even a chance to get them into the rooms. My family have now become good friends with James and when I rang my dad before, him and my little brother were fist pumping and shouting with excitement. So the Harmes selection is a bit closer to heart then usual.

The kid is a ripper and I am absolutely stoked for Harmesy to be living his dream because I know for a fact just how hard he has had to work for it and what he has gone through.

Good luck Chomp!!"

Barra13

I thought his nickname was Horse. Much for the same reason I believe haha.

Ricochet

Purple 77

Lol at the nicknames,

A good story!

Big Mac

So.....Brisbane next week?