Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: quinny88 on April 29, 2015, 01:19:50 AM
I love watching Hogan and think he will be a star but holy shower I've never heard a 13 disposal, 2 goal game been blown up as much as this one has throughout the week. You would think he kicked 10 haha
The kid can seriously play though and exactly the player Melbourne need to build a club around

It's not really about how good his game was (although 2 goals and 3 CM in the wet isn't bad) - it's just that he's doing it against the very best in only his 4th game

A guy that has shown as much as he has clearly will turn into something great - which is what has people excited more than anything

Purple 77

Come on Cam!

Grimes and Pedersen... just not Toumpas, please. He needs to tear it up in the VFL for another month, just keep doing what he is doing.

But you'd think Grimes would come in and be a negating player in Jetta's absence, probably.

Barra13

For me it'd be;

Out: Kent, Jetta.
In: Grimes, Toumpas for sub.

If Tyson doesn't play, I'd be quite happy with Lumumba taking Tysons place and having Grimes come in and take Lumubas place in the back line if that was the case. Then I'd probably run with Terlich in Jettas spot and Toumpas coming in as the sub for Kent which allows Brayshaw/Michie a full game.

I do like the Pedobear though.

elephants

How has Grimes gone in the vfl?

Barra13

Little report on the Casey games of the demons players;

QuoteI just finished watching the replay. They played better than I expected after reading the thread. Umpiring was ok in the first half but a string of soft decisions at the start of the third really cost us. Dominated the last quarter but didn't make the most of our opportunities.

Regarding Spencer, my impression was that he was much better around the ground than usual and not making the classic stuff ups. Took a couple of great contested grabs. I felt that he struggled in ruck contests against Minson. For most of the game I would have been ok with him getting the call up (and I have never been a fan) but his last quarter was a bit disappointing. Gawn did well in the ruck contests but very average otherwise.

Jack Grimes was clearly our best. Clean. A class above.

Terlich got better as the game went on and had quite a good second half.

Harmes was the one who really impressed me. Inside and outside work. Clearances. Great grab and goal in the last quarter. Needs to get a bit more of the ball but could be a good sub this week.

I'm a Toumpas fan but his disposal was deplorable. Endeavour was great, tackling, running all day...but turnover after turnover. Needs more time at Casey.

Riley was solid. Usual good inside work, didn't notice any glaring disposal errors.

Matt Jones had a great last quarter running the lines. Otherwise he was quiet.

Jordie had a hard working, blue collar game.

Stretch's class stood out. Not afraid of contact, made some good tackles, worked hard. IMO he isn't ready though. Needs to get more of the ball. Maybe second half of the season

Pedersen was average. Did a few good things but was quiet for most of the game.

Fitzy was our best big man IMO. His numbers surprise me, felt like he had it more. Beaten in a contest once or twice but otherwise at least broke even in contests, took a few great grabs in defence, used the ball as well as anyone. Could be used as a back up ruck and to cover Sandilands or Clarke when they go forward.

Rohan Bail 1 goals 10 disposals 7 kicks 3 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 44 dream team points
Jack Fitzpatrick 8 disposals 3 kicks 5 handballs 3 marks 30 dream team points
Max Gawn 7 disposals 1 kicks 6 handballs 3 tackles 26 hit outs 48 dream team points
Jack Grimes 19 disposals 12 kicks 7 handballs 4 marks 9 tackles 97 dream team points
James Harmes 1 goal 2 behinds 19 disposals 8 kicks 11 handballs 2 marks 6 tackles 78 dream team points
Matt Jones 1 behind 19 disposals 10 kicks 9 handballs 4 marks 6 tackles 80 team points
Jordie McKenzie 20 disposals 13 kicks 7 handballs 2 marks 5 tackles 66 dream team points
Cam Pedersen 3 goals 13 disposals 6 kicks 7 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 68 dream team points
Aidan Riley 1 behind 23 disposals 5 kicks 18 handballs 3 marks 7 tackles 83 dream team points
Jake Spencer 18 disposals 8 kicks 10 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 28 hit outs dream 92 team points
Billy Stretch 1 goal 1 behind 16 disposals 8 kicks 8 handballs 3 marks 7 tackles 82 dream team points
Dean Terlich 15 disposals 13 kicks 2 handballs 2 marks 6 tackles 72 dream team points
Jimmy Toumpas 1 behind 27 disposals 18 kicks 9 handballs 6 marks 6 tackles 109 dream team points

B: Hutchins Panozza Munro
HB: Terlich Fitzpatrick Grimes
C: Stretch Gent Toumpas
HF: M Jones Pedersen Bail
F: Scott Spencer Smith
FOLL: Gawn McKenzie Riley
I/C: (from) Harmes Moncrieff Morris Muir Pattison Plummer Rosier Walmsley White

elephants

Good output from the Toump!

Barra13

Yeah can't complain with 27.

Big Mac

Quote from: elephants on April 29, 2015, 01:14:38 PM

Was very ineffective by foot though

Not what you want to see from someone whose game revolves around their ability to deliver pinpoint passes

elephants

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 29, 2015, 01:19:06 PM
Quote from: elephants on April 29, 2015, 01:14:38 PM

Was very ineffective by foot though

Not what you want to see from someone whose game revolves around their ability to deliver pinpoint passes

Hmm, thats slightly disappointing. Still, good to see him finding the pill. As he gets more confident he should start taking his time and becoming more aware out there and nailing those passes.

Purple 77

Well, sounds like Grimes is a shoe-in, which is good, as I thought he was hard done by not being in our round 1 team.

I still stand by having Toumpas be a VFL player for the whole year, take the pressure off him entirely.

Stretch continues to impress...

Gawn has been the most disappointing this year for me.

Harmes had a decent match!

Big Mac

I'd like to see Riley back in the team at some stage

He goes so hard it's really fun to watch

Barra13

Just a bit of a side note really, but Melbourne lead the comp in tackles and rank 2nd for frees against.

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on May 01, 2015, 06:46:21 PM
Just a bit of a side note really, but Melbourne lead the comp in tackles and rank 2nd for frees against.

The tackle count both surprises me and fills me with great pride.

The other doesn't. Especially after the atrocity of the umpires against Richmond.

Could I take a guess and say Brisbane is 1st in frees against? I always seem to observe that they get hard done by.

Purple 77

Bloomin Bulldogs, first they continue to take away our thunder about being an improved side, NOW, they beat the swans and WE have to cop an angry swans outfit next week  ::)

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 02, 2015, 10:46:15 PM
Bloomin Bulldogs, first they continue to take away our thunder about being an improved side, NOW, they beat the swans and WE have to cop an angry swans outfit next week  ::)

Look on the bright side

Hawks might be missing both Hodge and Lewis when we play them :)