Main Menu

St Kilda Rookies

Started by Ricochet, November 27, 2013, 03:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

They say, we say: Club-by-club verdicts on the 2013-14 Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-27/they-say-we-say-rookie-draft-verdicts

We say
After a disastrous year, the Saints have done well. They pounced on hard-running Tasmanian midfielder Eli Templeton with their first pick in the rookie draft - No.3 overall - after he was surprisingly overlooked last week. Gold Coast midfielder Maverick Weller was added at No.20, after the ex-Sun impressed while training with the Saints recently, before eye-catching USA recruit Jason Holmes was confirmed as an international rookie at No.36. With Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres added via the national draft - and Shane Savage brought in via the McEvoy trade - there's been a focus midfield depth after the club addressed key position needs with the recruitment of Josh Bruce, Billy Longer and Luke Delaney. - Jennifer Phelan

Kellogscrunchynut

They did fairly well in the rookie draft, Templeton and Weller should be great success' for them.

_wato

Saints have done particularly well when you think about it. Not bad at all, the inclusions.

Jack Billings
Luke Dunstan
Blake Acres
Tom Curren (elevated rookie)
Shane Savage
Josh Bruce
Billy Longer
Luke Delaney
Ei Templeton
Maverick Weller
Jason Holmes

Bill Manspeaker

extremely happy with all of those inclusions. extremely happy.

it's gotta be good to see a very different looking St Kilda next year. i'm not really expecting many of wins, but I will enjoy watching the kids grow. exciting times.

Vinny

Quote from: brad on November 27, 2013, 09:23:42 PM
extremely happy with all of those inclusions. extremely happy.

it's gotta be good to see a very different looking St Kilda next year. i'm not really expecting many of wins, but I will enjoy watching the kids grow. exciting times.

Thats the way man. I am keen to see some of your younger guys having a run too! :)

Ziplock

probably one of the biggest winners this off season.

silloc

This will go down as saints greatest draft/trade period of all time

Ricochet

You have done very very well

Fantasygun

Great recruting. I'm accepting that we might only win 7 or 8 games in 2014 at max. It's more than others expect, still underrated though. Will pinch some wins against sides like Bris and Adelaide (at home).

But can't wait to see the side grow and mature.

In 5 years, the premiership is a huge possibility.

BoredSaint

really excited about this new midfield. Dunstan looks like the Hayes replacement with Acres, Templeton and Billings all running on the outside. Plus we still have Steven, Armitage, Ross etc.. looking good in a few years

Ricochet

BoredSaint

Really like the look of Tom Curran. Got the look of Kieran Jack about him. Started as a tagger and transitioning into a bash and crash running midfielder

Bill Manspeaker

Curren mate :P Tom Curran is a completely different player

completely agree with you. I think the couple of years in the VFL has sorta worked out alright too because it has made him hungrier for success. can't wait to see what the future holds for him in the Red White and Black 8)

BoredSaint

Quote from: brad on December 10, 2013, 11:59:42 PM
Curren mate :P Tom Curran is a completely different player

completely agree with you. I think the couple of years in the VFL has sorta worked out alright too because it has made him hungrier for success. can't wait to see what the future holds for him in the Red White and Black 8)
MY BAD

Fantasygun

Quote from: BoredSaint on December 10, 2013, 10:33:07 AM
Really like the look of Tom Curran. Got the look of Kieran Jack about him. Started as a tagger and transitioning into a bash and crash running midfielder

Absolutely. Even when he was tagging he was still getting a decent amount of the pill.
Kept Hannebury to about 16 disposals, correct me if I'm wrong.
Will be a 25+ disposal averager in a few years time.