Main Menu

World Cup

Started by Holz, July 16, 2013, 02:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Just thinking out Loud for next year/

maybe use the weighting system to decide the seedings and then to make the competition fair all teams then use the SC scoring for the World Cup.  Not ideal because certain scoring systems favour different types of players but probably more fairer than current scaling system.

LaHug

Quote from: Ringo on July 29, 2013, 08:47:02 AM

maybe use the weighting system to decide the seedings and then to make the competition fair all teams then use the SC scoring for the World Cup.  Not ideal because certain scoring systems favour different types of players but probably more fairer than current scaling system.
I don't like this at all...

Holz

Quote from: LaHug on July 29, 2013, 11:46:31 AM
Quote from: Ringo on July 29, 2013, 08:47:02 AM

I don't like this at all...

agreed ringo. Certain teams woudl get massive advantages.

for example the stallions are a bttom 4 euro team, but they would be a pretty killer SC team.

Danger JPK Nic Nat and Buddy are their best 4 players. average DTers but gun SC players.

Toga

I don't really like that either :-\

The Lambs fwd line is: Stevie J, Jroo, Tippett, Petrie with other guys like Dixon & Bock in the team - very KPF heavy, as the SportsBet scoring method favors Key Fwds more than other comps... So doing it using Sc would seriously hurt the Lamb's chances :(

Ringo

It is probably a case of which system is considered the fairest with the huge variations in scores with Asians and British effected by scaling v a fixed scoring system. Both systems have flaws and I accept the arguments now coming against a fixed scoring system as I was unfamiliar with other scoring systems. Can now see how the Asian teams would be disadvantaged by a fixed SC system.
Not an easy solution to come up with that does not disadvantage any XV comp.  From the British system and based on last weeks scores to get into the top 5 for the week a team would have to score 1745 points to match the minimum 147 using the scaling. Only 2/3 teams may do that each week and some have already been eliminated. As can be seen from last week not one British Team made the Top 5 as no team scored more than 1731 showing the possible wide variation week to week along with the Asians. Euros and Worlds are more consistent and stable.  Whilst it may not be an issue in the early rounds it may be as the competition progresses.
Please note not objecting to the competition just exploring all options to make it fair across the 4 competitions which is proving difficult and Holz has done a good job with the scaling as the option.

ossie85

How about this....

Scale each competition, with the highest scoring team for that round given a score of '100', and all others scored relatively to that.

I.e.

The Dublin Destroyers score 1650, we give them a score of 100.

The Sao Paulo Pumas score 1500, we give them a score of 1500/1650 = 90.91

And we do that for each league.

If a tie (like 100 v 100), you countback previous rounds?

Ziplock

isn't there a statistical method that gives you a numerical result based on the average and standard deviation? If we use something like that it should roughly limit some of the issues...

that being said, just because the comps with high scoring can go really high, considering we base it off their average they can also go really low, so it evens out :P

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on July 29, 2013, 01:56:52 PM
isn't there a statistical method that gives you a numerical result based on the average and standard deviation? If we use something like that it should roughly limit some of the issues...

that being said, just because the comps with high scoring can go really high, considering we base it off their average they can also go really low, so it evens out :P

exactly while the asians can knock out teams "better" than them they have to keep posting good scores or they are out.

look at Dublin v Folders.

Dublin 155 and 160 consistent. Folders 140 and omething like 170. If they played round 1 Folders would of got killed.

Toga

Yeah no worries Ringo not saying what you're suggesting is out of the question but just pointing out why things could get complicated with each comps' different scoring...

If you were wondering, goals are worth 12 points alone in Asians, that's why KPFs are more valuable than in something like DT.

I'm not too fussed how it's sorted TBH, happy with the way it's being run at the moment but if something better came up then no problems! :)

Justin Bieber

If its a wet weekend then the British scoring will be Inflated due to lots of contested ball , but may disadvantage Asian due to less goals and key forwards scoring less.

ossie85

Quote from: whatlez on July 29, 2013, 03:24:53 PM
If its a wet weekend then the British scoring will be Inflated due to lots of contested ball , but may disadvantage Asian due to less goals and key forwards scoring less.

Which is why SC is awesome - rain, hail or shine - 3,300 points per match.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on July 29, 2013, 03:36:12 PM

Didn't disagree

Holz

guns team v gun team 3300
spud team v spud team 3300

thats why SC is flawed.

ossie85

Quote from: Holzman on July 29, 2013, 03:38:45 PM

thats why SC is flawed.

that's the same as saying if a gun team beats another gun team it should be worth more than 4 points, while if a spud team beats a spud team it should be worth less! Each game with 4 points in the AFL, only 4 points are available.

Anyway, aren't you coming 4th in the SC comp :P

Holz

Quote from: ossie85 on July 29, 2013, 03:53:15 PM
Quote from: Holzman on July 29, 2013, 03:38:45 PM

thats why SC is flawed.

that's the same as saying if a gun team beats another gun team it should be worth more than 4 points, while if a spud team beats a spud team it should be worth less! Each game with 4 points in the AFL, only 4 points are available.

Anyway, aren't you coming 4th in the SC comp :P

I am i still dont like the scoring to me it seems made up on the spot. basically i just pick guys who virtual sport seems to be bias towards. I still have no clue how the players get their scores.