WXV: Parisian Nice Lyon Reindeers

Started by Phasir, February 27, 2013, 10:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Bieber

Reindeer heartbreak again

PNL Reindeers (21.16.142) lost to Seoul Magpies (23.12.150)

Best
PNL: N Jones, J Westhoff, M Priddis, K Simpson, L Ball, C Wingard
Seoul: M LeCras, D Swallow, T Langdon, B McEvoy, S Coniglio, P Dangerfield, T Scully

It was always set up to be a tough match up, with Seoul another big scoring team, who just like us, get unlucky at times. Poor selection choices didn't help PNL, but can't take anything away from Seoul who had alot of players stand up as they racked up a big score in the opening round to take the win. A big game from leCras on the last day put it beyond a doubt. The younger stars for them look to be taking next step up in Swallow, Coniglio and Scully, not to mention the massive debut from Tom Langdon.

Highlights were the backline bar McPharlin standing up for great games. Despite the absence of Marley Williams (court case and decision pending), Kade is continuing last season's form while Harbrow and Enright are proving to be great backup. Choice of McPharlin and Grundy (bench) certainly backfired as emergencies could have easily outscored them!
Rich in the midfield was a let down, but the three other starting mids were fantastic, with Nathan Jones leading the way!
Port boys in the ruck and up forward did their jobs, with all three backing up their career best seasons last year. Billings made his debut up forward, but a sub-affected score will not help his case for future selection if he continues in that role. Patton showed he can be a dominant force when fit and playing, hopefully proving worth of #4 pick traded for him 2 years ago.

B&F votes.
3. Nathan Jones
2. Justin Westhoff
1. Kade Simpson

Reserves
Marseilles Kings  (23.14.152) defeated Pyongyang Chollimas (14.13.97)

Best
Marseilles: M Thomas, F Ray, M Jaensch, D Myers, Jackson Trengove, M Watson
Pyongyang: C Sutcliffe, J Newnes, TJ Lynch, B Macaffer

Marseilles killed it. Big games from the best six above who are all putting up their hands for selection this season. Certainly hard to overlook Ray, Myers and Jaensch, all emergencies first round but turned in great performances showing why they shouldn't be left out again!

Also would like to note that all 3 of our National Draft selections played round 1! Although Billings and Zach Merrett were subs but faith was put into them early when we are down some forwards. Jaensch was an option were looking to trade for, but grabbed him at #45, now looking like a bargain if he's able to string together consistent games!

Will try to do a little write up most weeks, but it won't be anything spectacular :P.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Hellopplz on March 26, 2014, 03:18:49 PM
Will try to do a little write up most weeks, but it won't be anything spectacular :P.
Always makes it more interesting if people do little write ups after games. Plus for me this round it gave me an opportunity to vent on my team! Looking strong already HP, just need to get some luck on your side for once ;)

Purple 77

Nice write up!

If I didn't already have a ridiculous amount of melbourne players (I did cut down 3 from last year!), Jones would be a Brewer right now. You simply wouldn't have him anymore  :P

CrowsFan

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 26, 2014, 03:37:42 PM
Nice write up!
Why doesn't anyone tell me my write ups are nice?  :'( :P

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Honey Badger on March 26, 2014, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on March 26, 2014, 03:37:42 PM
Nice write up!
Why doesn't anyone tell me my write ups are nice?  :'( :P
Think they do it for the first one, then not often after that :P.

Nathan is a gun, would take a bit to grab him off us ;). And PNL always lack luck, hopefully finally get Lady Luck on our side this season, but if first round is anything to go by, doubt it once again :P.

Purple 77

Damn, that sucks PNL. Was really looking like he was nearing that big step-up too.

Hopefully Marley will one day play for you guys as well. *thinks back to when I offered Matt Stokes for him*

Justin Bieber

Luckily Jaensch has stepped up to cover for him, swear he's a steal now he isn't fringe :o. Such a shame about Marley.

Rich is just so unlucky, really like him and his left boot of gold. Hate to see a player go down and forced out for such a long period of time (Clay Smith was also out end of last season and probably half of this season with a knee if I remember). I'm just happy we have some cover in the Mids with Ray/Thomas/Myers all picking up their game early this season, so can slip in as required :).

If our guys hadn't stepped up, we'd be looking at another near bottom finish :(.

Planning on trying to do some project tonight, so may have a Round 2 and 3 update for PNL sometime tonight!

Justin Bieber

MARLEY MARCHES INTO MARSEILLES

Marley Williams was forced to take some time away from PNL to take care of some person matters in which we fully supported his decision until his future was clear. With all that behind him, and a few weeks of training under his belt, he's ready to go again! Last year he locked down a place in PNL's back 4 but with new additions in Corey Enright and Matthew Jaensch, this year he'll have to fight for his spot!

If that wasn't hard enough, he's also forced to contend with Jackson, Grundy, Goldsack and McPharlin who are all showing solid performances this year. What use to be one of PNL's weaknesses is fast becoming a strength! When trading away Pavlich, we did so hoping we have our forwards step up, and they certainly have! This week in the reserves from our forwards we have Patton, Billings, Casboult, Jones, Zerrett and Dawes. No world beaters but quite a bit of potential for the future! Makes our F4 spot a very tough choice every week.

On a side note, we are proud of Marseilles scoring form this season, not so much their defence (which could be down to luck :P). Only trailling Mumbai by 4 points scored, they are showing the depth PNL have on offer! Potentially there are 14 players ready to suit up for Marseilles from the PNL list, so hopefully shows that PNL is ready to step up to contend with the big boys in the comp with our injury woes behind us.

Thought I'd do a little piece on our Reserves considering I have been slack with weekly round updates :P.

ossie85

Reckon some flooding tactics might be on the cards!

Some teams would kill for that depth!

Justin Bieber

May have to consider some eventually but with Wingard, Westhoff and Rioli our top 3, if Lynch can continue scoring well, don't think it'd be possible to flood!

Certainly tough to choose the right player each week :P. Maybe we can use some depth to land another top scoring mid which we could badly use :-X.

Justin Bieber

Will get back to this after mid-next week due to being sick setting me behind on all my stuff due recently, so been trying to crack them out over this :(. PNL have also suffered with 3 losses on the trot :'(.

j959

Quote from: Hellopplz on May 21, 2014, 09:45:08 PM
Will get back to this after mid-next week due to being sick setting me behind on all my stuff due recently, so been trying to crack them out over this :(. PNL have also suffered with 3 losses on the trot :'(.
it'll get there HP, it'll get there ... just need a bit of luck - looking like injuries to key players just never giving you a chance to field a 'full-strength' line-up ...

Justin Bieber

Came against the wrong teams on their good weeks (Pumas, Toronto and Moscow) :(. And some of our guys didn't perform as well as expected certainly doesn't help!

Clay Smith is also making his return to the field this weekend, so hopefully finds some form coming weeks with Marseilles to start pushing into the starting team!

ossie85