Main Menu

EXV: English Lions

Started by JBs-Hawks, November 08, 2012, 12:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

JBs-Hawks

This announcement is a bit overdue.

The Lions are very pleased to announce the recruitment of one of FFs rising stars in the XV competitions.

Memphistopheles welcome to England!!

Memphistopheles

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on February 18, 2013, 09:52:40 PM
This announcement is a bit overdue.

The Lions are very pleased to announce the recruitment of one of FFs rising stars in the XV competitions.

Memphistopheles welcome to England!!

Thanks I'm very pleased to be here. I visited in January 2012 and enjoyed myself despite the cool weather and so when JBs-Hawks offered me the chance to assist him I couldn't say no.

Looking forward to working with this team - our premiership challenges is a work in progress as we have a very young side. However, with the talent we have on board I think it's definitely a matter of when we will challenge not if.

My thoughts on the team are that this season we need to identify which of our young defenders to start as there is a lot of talent there but not too much experience. I'm expecting Hibberd to come on and cement a starting spot and I think Otten may do the same if he can steer clear of injury. Unfortunately Brodie Smith is out for the next six weeks or so with injury but I think Atley, Davis, Hampton and Shaw are also capable of cementing a starting spot this season.

Our midfield looks very good and I expect Dayne Beams, Shuey, Steven, Zaharakis, Parker, Clay Beams and even Lonergan to shine this season under the guidance of old hands Rischitelli and Kerr.

Zac Smith will cement his spot as a Gold Coast's #1 ruckman this season and the new ruck rules should benefit him. I also rate Tom Campbell as a good young up-and-coming forward/ruckman and am hoping he gets dpp in the near future.

Up forward we have a good mix. There's some talented young KPP talent in Hurley, Howe, Day and Cornelius then a few handy forward/mid types in Wright, de Boer, Kennedy and Murdoch and some electrifying small forward prospects in Menzel, Porplyzia, Elliot and Saad. Lycett is also very handy but is more a Ruck/Forward than a pure forward and I'd expect him to get this eligibility back in 2013.

JBs-Hawks

Ok so we would like to unveil the Lions new playing guernseys. Big thanks to Memphistopheles for making these.

elephants

Memphistopheles

Quote from: elephants on February 26, 2013, 08:31:37 PM
Wow, very nice Memph

Thanks mate.

Took me ages to find a good template for the jumpers though. Still didn't find one for shorts and socks but they're not as important.

Also had to use Paint.Net for this as I don't have Photoshop at the moment (should be getting for my work comp soon).

I had one other really good idea for a jumper but because of lack of Photoshop I had to go with this one as I couldn't get the away/alternate strips done.

Here's a look though.

Also JB if you get/decide on any sponsors let me know and I can add them to the jumpers.

Memphistopheles

Massive blow for the Lions in the pre-season with Alex Johnson going down with a season-ending knee injury.

The Lions fans wish Alex all the best with his rehabilitation and are hoping to see him regain full fitness in time for next year.

His injury has opened the door for one of the Lions rookies to be elevated and there is fierce competition with all 5 looking likely to play in the next few weeks and stake their claim for a spot on the senior list.

Our rookies are as follows: Elliot Yeo, Taylor Hine, Tom Campbell, Sam Day and Scott Lycett.

JBs-Hawks

Dont know who were playing against, but our Round 1 of the Euro season line up shall be.

Def Shaun Atley, Sam Butler, Michael Hurley, Michael Hibberd

Mids Luke Shuey (C), David Zaharakis, Luke Parker, Jack Steven

Rucks Zac Smith

Fwds Matthew Wright, Jeremy Howe, Matthew DeBoer, Jason Porplyzia

Int Michael Rischitelli, Ricky Henderson

JBs-Hawks

2014 SQUAD

Def: B Smith (Adel), S Atley (NM), S Butler (WC), C Hampton (GWS), C Dixon (GC), R Henderson (Adel), E Yeo (Bris), A Otten (Adel), A Johnson (Syd), S Darley (GWS), M Shaw (GC), J Carlisle (Ess)

Mid: D Beams (Coll), D Zaharakis (Ess), L Shuey (WC), M Rischitelli (GC), J Steven (StK), T Mitchell (Syd), D Armitage (StK), C Beams (Bris), J Lonergan (GC), J Aish (Bris), B Hartung (Haw) T Curren (StK), J Johannisen (WB), M Hallahan (Haw)

Ruck: Z Smith (GC), P Ryder (Ess), S Hampson (Carl), M Apeness (Freo)

Fwd: M Hurley (Ess), M Wright (Adel), J Howe (Melb), J Porplyzia (Adel), B Kennedy (Coll), T Menzel (Geel), S Day (GC), J Murdoch (Geel), S Lycett (WC), A Black (NM)

Best 15

Def: Smith, Henderson, Atley, Butler

Mids:  D Beams (C), Steven (VC), Shuey, Zaharakis

Rucks: Ryder

Fwds: Mitchell, Dixon, Howe, Wright

Int: Armitage, Curren

Memphistopheles

Team looks good. Mitchell and Dixon as forwards are a big improvement on Elliot and Hurley and Ryder in the ruck is an improvement from last season where we struggled with Smith out injured.

This team is much more balanced I think. Only really have youngsters as mid depth (Curren, C Beams, Lonergan, Aish, Hartung, Hallahan) but we only need one of them to step up this season if Zaha, Shuey and Rischitelli can stay fit.

PS - Dixon should be Ruc/Fwd in the positions and he's listed in defence. Johannisen is also def only I think.

PPS - I think Matt Shaw will be a best XV defender next season for us ahead of Butler and even Atley.

Memphistopheles

Time for an update I think as we've been busy in the off-season.

Here's our new player list following our off-season movement so far and guessing on changing player positions.

Def: J Newnes (Stk), J Howe (Melb), C Hampton (GWS), R Henderson (Adel), E Yeo (Bris), S Atley (NM), S Butler (WC), A Otten (Adel), A Johnson (Syd), S Darley (GWS), M Shaw (GC).

Mid: D Beams (Coll), N Jones (Melb), D Swan (Coll), D Zaharakis (Ess), L Shuey (WC), J Steven (StK), D Armitage (StK), M Rischitelli (GC), C Beams (Bris), J Lonergan (GC), B Hartung (Haw) T Curren (StK), M Hallahan (Haw)

Ruck: Z Smith (GC), P Ryder (Ess), S Hampson (Carl), M Apeness (Freo)

Fwd: T Walker, T Mitchell (Syd), J Carlisle (Ess), C Dixon (GC), J Daniher, T Boyd, J Porplyzia (Adel), B Kennedy (Coll), T Menzel (Geel), S Day (GC), J Murdoch (Geel), A Black (NM)

Which gives us a starting line up for 2014 of:

Def: Jack Newnes, Jeremy Howe, Curtly Hampton, Ricky Henderson.
Mid: Dayne Beams, Nathan Jones, David Zaharakis, Luke Shuey.
Ruc: Paddy Ryder.
Fwd: Taylor Walker, Jake Carlisle, Tom Mitchell, Joe Daniher.
Uti: Dane Swan, Jack Steven

Eme: Shaun Atley (D), David Armitage (M), Zac Smith (R), Charlie Dixon (F).

Definitely a premiership contender in my books!

We are maybe short one premium forward and defender but if Zaka or Swan get forward we should be laughing.