Can we avoid the dreaded donuts?

Started by BGK, December 22, 2011, 08:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGK

I've spent days going over the byes and for the life of me I can not figure out a way to avoid a couple of donuts?

Does anyone have a way to avoid them?

DT Gun

Ringo

If you want a hint monty has done an article on the front page of FF. In Bold under Bad Bye Buddy there is a link called 2012 bye strategy click on the link and read. Will not solve problems but will give you some ideas.

have set up a team in the SC Thread partly based on this strategy.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44626.0.html

m0nty

Unfortunately the only way to do it given the spread of R/Fs in 2012 is if Scott Lycett plays in R12 and R13. Tough call to get him in your team. I'm afraid many people will be abandoning the R/F strategy in that article and just eating the two donuts. It's a shame.

Now the structural question is not about how to avoid donuts, but when to plan on eating them so as to minimise their harmful effects.

BGK

Monty you make an excellent point. I've been racking my brain for a way to avoid them but I always end up with 2 at some stage. I don't think you can decide on when to cop them until the actual season gets under way. I really think they could have put a little more thought on the bye rounds.

Panther

Any chance VS will change things before the start of the season, and start League games in Round 1 and shift the 2 league byes to, two out of the 3 weeks between Round 11-13???

The current structure just makes it silly rather than tactical :-\

Tex-Factor

i think they should give us rnd 11 and 13 off and we play round 12. that way we dont have to go three weeks with no fantasy footy and its easy to structure a team around only having to play rnd 12. two cents bang.

owenbond007

A donut cant be avoided. Due to the lack of dual rucks monty's solution wont work. Think AFL Dream Team didnt think very hard about the set up either. Matches should of been round 1-10 and 14-20 and Finals 21-24.

I think ill stack my side with players that have a bye in round 12. Any trades made in rounds 11-13 will be cashing up or upgrading to premos. My team atm is in the form of 7-16-7

TEAM NAME: owentest
DEF: B. Goddard, B. Deledio, B. Waters, B. Lake, M. Clarke, S. Docherty, B. Smedts (A. Browne, B. Ellis)
MID: D. Swan, S. Pendlebury, M. Barlow, J. Selwood, J. Watson, L. Hayes (J. O'Meara, T. Mitchell)
RUC: A. Sandilands, O. Stephenson (J. Giles, J. Redden)
FWD: N. Fyfe, D. Zaharakis, D. Martin, J. Winderlich, J. Porplyzia, J. Brown, S. Byrnes (T. Walsh, D. Zorko)
CASH LEFT: $92,500

CuStArDaRm

Nails

It's good we have to play over multi-byes

Not a fan of those in support of playing 1 MB but not the other 2....

imagine what that'd do for teams, premos avoided from all the teams that round, 2012 DT = teams look even more alike than last year.

Ringo

After quite some deliberation over the rules and byes and with playing league matches rounds 11-13 I have decided on this startegy.

Will set my Team up as 8/11/11.  ie players from the teams that have the byes in each round. Ensure that all rookies I have listed are playing and this will be important to the number of trades.
No trades week 11
Week 12 Trade in 3 players to Team 11 from players listed in week 12 bye teams. Structure will then be 11/8/11
Week 13 Trade in 3 Players from week 13 bye players to week 12 Structure then 11/11/8

have used only 6 trades of the 24 allowed for season. And if trading diligently you can then maximise your team over the next couple of weeks.

This is the best i can come up with as bye strategy.

BGK

The problem I've had Ringo when I set up a team to the structures you talk about is that all of those 8 that you have out in round 13 are in the mids, backs and forwards, leaving you with 2 donuts.

Ringo

Agree not easy. Forgot to mention Rucks are set up to cover byes. At the moment mine are Berger, McEvoy Giles and Stephenson. So each week will be playing at least one prem ruck.
In setting up the Structure I am also factoring in the byes on each line but having difficulty as well,  Since posting this last night i have done more permutations and have got it to work. You may have to do some forward planning and maybe do a trade or 2 in week 11.  In looking at the permutations I had to do one trade in week 11 to avoid a donut in week 13.

So basically this year it looks like the trades we do in these 3 weeks may define overall,

Chopps

I assume ringo this is best case scenario, eating donuts if you don't have a full squad or injury/suspension

BGK

Ringo mate, I have been going over this for days and I just can't see what you see. If there is any chance that you could share your thoughts in more depth, I would be very grateful.

Chopps if anyone happens to have a full playing squad of 30 players come rounds 11 to 13 I would be very surprised and very impressed. I really don't think we can avoid at least a couple of donuts this year. It's disappointing really