Main Menu

UFC

Started by Hawka, November 13, 2010, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

Quote from: Cookie311993 on January 29, 2015, 10:17:43 PM
Quote from: RiOtChEsS on January 28, 2015, 11:08:47 PM
He looks far more dangerous and comfortable within himself now
Not having to lose 55 pounds before weigh ins has him feeling alot fresher come fight time and therefore, more confident in his ability
I totally forgot that Rumble used to fight at WW!  :o   ;)

Hope I can get to the pub this Sunday for UFC 183 - not sure how to take Silva vs Diaz but the rest of the card looks pretty decent too ...

Main Card (PPV)

Middleweight Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz     
Welterweight Tyron Woodley vs. Kelvin Gastelum     
Lightweight Joe Lauzon vs. Al Iaquinta     
Middleweight Thales Leites vs. Tim Boetsch     
Welterweight Jordan Mein vs. Thiago Alves     

Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)

Women's Bantamweight Miesha Tate vs. Sara McMann     
Middleweight Ed Herman vs. Derek Brunson     
Flyweight Ian McCall vs. John Lineker     
Middleweight Rafael Natal vs. Tom Watson     

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)

Featherweight Diego Brandão vs. Jimy Hettes     
Middleweight Richardson Moreira vs. Ildemar Alcântara     
Middleweight Thiago Santos vs. Andy Enz

taken from wikipedia.org

RiOtChEsS

pretty good card!

If Anderson Silva isnt clean Diaz will make it an absolute war and could win

Woodley should win, however i love Gastellum and i hope he keeps winning

Iaquinta looks a level above Lauzon but u never know with submission Joe

DazBurg

i love Gastelum too but missed weight by almost 10 pounds!!

just double checked not last fight against ellenberger but fight before hand he missed weight against Nico Musoke by 1 and 3 qtr pounds....so nowhere near as much but a pattern is emerging here

so maybe time to bite the bullet and step back up to middle weight?

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: The BeDazzler on January 31, 2015, 01:17:56 PM
i love Gastelum too but missed weight by almost 10 pounds!!

just double checked not last fight against ellenberger but fight before hand he missed weight against Nico Musoke by 1 and 3 qtr pounds....so nowhere near as much but a pattern is emerging here

so maybe time to bite the bullet and step back up to middle weight?
:o 10lbs is a big miss, is the fight still going ahead?

agreed, fight where u r most comfortable so u feel great heading into fight day imo

Hellopplz

Pwoah, 10lbs off :o. Probably be made into a catchweight fight,. The weight problem is gonna hurt if he beats Woodley, would set him back a few matches for the WW title (which is probably a good thing as he is still young).

Agree with you guys, think move back up is inevitable if he can't make weight consistently.

RiOtChEsS

Cookie311993

Woodley vs Gastelum fight was bloody boring. Gastelum was the aggressor, while Woodley did stuff all apart from round 2.

How 1 judge had him winning all 3 rounds shocks me. He was constantly in defense looking for a counter. Round 1 and 3 this didn't work. Gastelum would get in punch and get out of the pocket

I scored the fight 29-28 Gastelum

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: The BeDazzler on February 01, 2015, 12:43:59 PM
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Dana-White-Orders-Kelvin-Gastelum-John-Lineker-to-Change-Weight-Classes-81117

well Danna made the choice for both of them
thats good, didnt really like how Lineker made light of it in fight rubbing his belly

Quote from: Cookie311993 on February 02, 2015, 07:38:32 AM
Woodley vs Gastelum fight was bloody boring. Gastelum was the aggressor, while Woodley did stuff all apart from round 2.

How 1 judge had him winning all 3 rounds shocks me. He was constantly in defense looking for a counter. Round 1 and 3 this didn't work. Gastelum would get in punch and get out of the pocket

yeah i saw it similarly, definitely thought Gastelum exercised 'octagon control'
Woodley put all his eggs in the counter KO basket and it didnt pan out

Meisha got a savvy win after she was rocked in round 1, finished round 2 with Mcmann trapped in a choke and then reversed her takedown at the beginning of round 3 staying on top all round

Ed Herman was stopped by Brunson after eating a decent punch he turtled up, too many fights being stopped early imo, if the fighter turtles up and is not being struck cleanly let them try weather the storm,
examples:
Gustafson Vs Johnson needed to be stopped sooner
the most recent Barao Vs Faber should have been let go

Silva out pointed Diaz, i enjoyed the mimicry of Diaz, he didnt have the power to hurt Anderson tho, Silva definitely doesnt look as sharp as he once was and he even hinted at that was it for him, could be the right move, that Spider would have been toweled up by Weidman, anyone with real KO power for that matter

j959

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on February 02, 2015, 09:03:02 AM
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Dana-White-Orders-Kelvin-Gastelum-John-Lineker-to-Change-Weight-Classes-81117

thats good, didnt really like how Lineker made light of it in fight rubbing his belly
Ha, ha! still a classic bait though!!  ;)

yeah i saw it similarly, definitely thought Gastelum exercised 'octagon control'

Meisha got a savvy win after she was rocked in round 1, finished round 2 with Mcmann trapped in a choke and then reversed her takedown at the beginning of round 3 staying on top all round

Ed Herman was stopped by Brunson after eating a decent punch he turtled up, too many fights being stopped early imo, if the fighter turtles up and is not being struck cleanly let them try weather the storm,
examples:

Silva out pointed Diaz, i enjoyed the mimicry of Diaz, he didnt have the power to hurt Anderson tho, Silva definitely doesnt look as sharp as he once was and he even hinted at that was it for him, could be the right move, that Spider would have been toweled up by Weidman, anyone with real KO power for that matter
think I agree with you two on Woodley v Gestalum - though I agreed with the Woodley win (at 29-28) but I just couldn't understand how one of the judges gave that 3rd rd to Woodley!!!  :o
there was no way - fine with him winning but getting 30-27 from one judge was wrong - luckily it didn't affect the overall outcome.

I thought there was a typo when they listed Gestalum's weight at 180pds!!!  :o

Tate vs McMann - initially I thought McMann was unlucky but then I had a bit more of a think and recap in my mind and Meisha I think did take the 2nd rd fairly easily - she got taken down by McMann but then she had that submission attempt that was pretty close and she held it almost through to the end of that rd ...

First two rds of Silva v Diaz I didn't really know what to make of it but I was thoroughly entertained - things went to script after that with Silva not really doing much and getting taken apart on the outside - I don't know what fight he thought he was in, but I couldn't understand him saying that his corner was telling him that he was still in with a shot in the last couple of rds - there's no way in the world any reasonable viewer would have thought he won any of those first 1-3 rounds is there??  ???   :o   ;)

Cookie311993

What's everyone's thoughts on Silva getting a title shot?

I think based on his performance against Diaz, it wouldn't be pretty. Diaz kept clipping him with combos. Anyone in the top 5 at middleweight possess knockout ability. I reckon he would have been sleeping. Joe Rogan even said that, Diaz doesn't have heavy hands compared to a couple of the top contenders

Vitor Below asked for an Interim Middleweight title fight. White suggested Machida, vitor replied with something along the lines of, I'll wait till Weidmans fit

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: j959 on February 03, 2015, 08:40:05 PM

examples:

think I agree with you two on Woodley v Gestalum - though I agreed with the Woodley win (at 29-28) but I just couldn't understand how one of the judges gave that 3rd rd to Woodley!!!  :o
there was no way - fine with him winning but getting 30-27 from one judge was wrong - luckily it didn't affect the overall outcome.

Tate vs McMann - initially I thought McMann was unlucky but then I had a bit more of a think and recap in my mind and Meisha I think did take the 2nd rd fairly easily - she got taken down by McMann but then she had that submission attempt that was pretty close and she held it almost through to the end of that rd ...

First two rds of Silva v Diaz I didn't really know what to make of it but I was thoroughly entertained - things went to script after that with Silva not really doing much and getting taken apart on the outside - I don't know what fight he thought he was in, but I couldn't understand him saying that his corner was telling him that he was still in with a shot in the last couple of rds - there's no way in the world any reasonable viewer would have thought he won any of those first 1-3 rounds is there??  ???   :o   ;)

Meisha still had the choke in at the end of the round albeit she wasnt 'going for it' McMann wasnt getting out of it without the end of round, u r right though she was better than Tate but Tate's nouse got her the win over a more talented fighter, respect!

I didnt hear the corner chats but if his corner was telling him he was winning he needs new dudes in his corner

Quote from: Cookie311993 on February 03, 2015, 09:48:26 PM

I think based on his performance against Diaz, it wouldn't be pretty. Diaz kept clipping him with combos. Anyone in the top 5 at middleweight possess knockout ability. I reckon he would have been sleeping. Joe Rogan even said that, Diaz doesn't have heavy hands compared to a couple of the top contenders

Vitor Below asked for an Interim Middleweight title fight. White suggested Machida, vitor replied with something along the lines of, I'll wait till Weidmans fit
I think he deserves it based on his resume not his performance against Diaz
Diaz looked sluggish and lacked power, has to be why he fights at 170, i think his brother has more bang at 155, ask Gray Maynard :D
That said he exposed Silva enough for us all to see anyone with KO power will run right through him
I actually thought it sounded as though he was hanging up the gloves
'il go home and my kids will beg me daddy daddy dont do it anymore, i dont know, maybe, i dont know'

j959

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on February 03, 2015, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: j959 on February 03, 2015, 08:40:05 PM

examples:

Meisha still had the choke in at the end of the round albeit she wasnt 'going for it' McMann wasnt getting out of it without the end of round, u r right though she was better than Tate but Tate's nouse got her the win over a more talented fighter, respect!

I didnt hear the corner chats but if his corner was telling him he was winning he needs new dudes in his corner
yeah, was a gutsy win by Meisha in the end. Looking back McMann was good but she didn't have much of anything in the last 1 and half rounds ...

I read some commentary somewhere that unless you destroy him (as in a beat down), Diaz still reckons he's the winner!  ;)

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on February 03, 2015, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: Cookie311993 on February 03, 2015, 09:48:26 PM

I think he deserves it based on his resume not his performance against Diaz
Diaz looked sluggish and lacked power, has to be why he fights at 170, i think his brother has more bang at 155, ask Gray Maynard :D
That said he exposed Silva enough for us all to see anyone with KO power will run right through him
I actually thought it sounded as though he was hanging up the gloves
'il go home and my kids will beg me daddy daddy dont do it anymore, i dont know, maybe, i dont know'
the Vitor turn down of Machida is interesting ... apparently he said he wanted an interim title fight so they went to Machida's peeps and they said to send over the contract and while waiting for that to come back they told Vitor and he turned it down ... not sure what to think of that except maybe he doesn't like his style match-up with Lyoto??  ???

anyhoo, in terms of a Silva title fight I definitely do not agree that he should get it off this Diaz fight.
I had it in my head that middleweight division was starting to get a bit 'stacked' but on looking it up, seems as though I was wrong and that's why Silva's still in the frame even with his lay-off ...

I think what you guys said about Silva getting knocked out by high ranking middleweights could be right but I would actually love to see a Silva vs Machida fight!!!  :o    8)   ;)
that way we can see how Silva goes with the potential style-puzzle that Machida can be and Lyoto (though he does have KOs on his record) doesn't really have that one-shot knock out power ... how good could that fight be??

the retirement talk via his kids was interesting given that i'd heard he had signed a 10-fight contract with the UFC just a few months before this Diaz fight after his rehab had gone alright??  ???

j959

RiOtChEsS

Wowee yeah that does pose some serious questions about Silva

Diaz I don't think it does, definitely not performance enhancing and a well known pot advocate prior