Main Menu

The Grand Final 22

Started by ossie85, September 20, 2010, 08:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

22 Collingwood Players could become legends this weekend! Who will they be?

Luke Ball was already going to be a big story this week - having played in the Grand Final last year as a Saint - but the Pies best in-and-under player has some injury concerns, having gone off in the third quarter with what looked like a hamstring injury. Ball, Malthouse, Nick Maxwell, the Doctors all say it was just cramp and he'll be fine, and they simply saw no point in risking him. Given at the time the Magpies were 80 points up (giggles in delight) I'm inclined to agree. Ball's story is interesting, #1 draft pick, former St. Kilda captain, All-Australian. But last year Ball was dropped twice from the Saints, and in the Grand Final despite being one of the best players on the ground in the first half (I was thinking Norm Smith medal at half time) he hardly got any game time in the 2nd half, very weird. Ball was disgruntled, and nominated Collingwood as the team he wanted to go to. Collingwood at this stage had already traded it's highest pick for Darren Jolly, and given they did not want to give up a player, was really only offering pick #30. St. Kilda refused to trade him for that. Ball went to the draft, and Collingwood used that pick 30 to select him anyway. Epic fail from St. Kilda.

Dale Thomas was very unlucky not to get an All-Australian nomination this year, and is one of the most improved players in the competition. The #2 draft pick has been outstanding. But a head-high bump on Harry Taylor could see him in trouble at the tribunal. I think he will be okay. But given in 2002 (Jason Cloke) and 2003 (Anthony Rocca) grand finals, Collingwood had players suspended controversially, I'm a bit nervous.

Leon Davis was a late withdrawal from the preliminary final with a hamstring injury, but should be fit for the grand final. But I simply don't want him in the side! He didn't play well in Collingwood's first final, had a terrible finals series last year, and had a total of ONE touch COMBINED for the 2002 and 2003 Grand Finals. I think he has had his chance. However, his replacement Tyson Goldsack didn't do much in the prelim-final and is looking shaky.

Simon Prestigiacomo is a cult legend at Collingwood. Averaging less touches per game than any other 200+ gamer, Presti is known as the Human Blanket, and Humphrey B. Bear (Cos he rarely talks). However, Presti has been injured since Round 20, and will be fighting to get back on. Malthouse loves him though! Me? I'm not so sure. His replacement Nathan Brown has played admirably, and it would be harsh on the kid to miss out.

Jarryd Blair is Collingwood's only debutant for the year, and has been outstanding really. Had a quiet Prelim final but would be shocked if he gets dropped for the Grand Final. As one of the smallest players in the league (at 172cm) he is a pocket rocket. Big fan.

Josh Fraser, Paul Medhurst, Tarkyn Lockyer and Shane O'Bree have been pushed out of the side by Leigh Brown, Brent Macaffer, Jarryd Blair and Sharrod Wellingham respectively. Heart breaking, but I don't think any of them will play. Fraser, Lockyer and O'Bree had chances in the 2002 and 2003 grand finals, and if you told me that those 4 players wouldn't be in the best 22 at the start of the year, I'd have been very surprised.

John McCarthy, Cameron Wood and Jack Anthony are other fringe players, unlikely to get a go. Jack Anthony especially was Collingwood's best forward last year, but poor form and poor defensive skills has seen Chris Dawes overtake him well and truly.

So my best 22?

B: Reid, Prestigiacomo, Toovey
HB: O'Brien, Maxwell, Shaw
C: Johnson, Swan, Sidebottom
HF: Thomas, Cloke*, Didak
F: L. Brown, Dawes, Macaffer
Foll: Jolly, Pendlebury, Ball
Inter: Beams, Wellingham, Blair, Goldsack
Emerg: N. Brown, Davis, Lockyer

Apart from Ball's cramp (giggles), Pies are injury free. The Pies have had the perfect preparation. Top of the ladder. A week off. Smashed the Dogs and Cats. Extra days rest than the Saints. Collingwood have no excuses. May the best team win on Saturday.

* - Our most important player. If Cloke kicks 3 goals against the Saints, I reckon that means Collingwood wins.

And good luck to Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and Alan Didak in tonight's Brownlow. Swan a $1.90 favourite. Ridiculous!

ando_10

you dont want presti playing riewoldt will give him a bath