Main Menu

The Storm get flogged

Started by korza, April 23, 2010, 06:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

korza

Wow Melbourne Storm get flogged for salary cap breaches. The penalties are so harsh. Carlton got off lightly.

Justin Bieber

1.7mil spread over 5 years is understandable with that stunning list.

but to strip them of so much and let them play for nothing this year (except for expereince) is kind of BS. They deserved all the stuff they got but guess the NRL board wanted to make an example out of somebody.

ossie85

They systematically and deliberately cheated. Too harsh? They are lucky they are still in the NRL. They deserve everything they get. The Storm were the team I followed, but will be choosing another team now! Disgraceful.

HintT

What Ossie said.  They brought it all on themselves.

valkorum

I caught the tail end of the news this morning, but I think that one of the big-wigs at the Storm has just resigned.

alman

It was a disgrace and the punishment to a point was fair.

Stripped of 2 premierships, 2 runners up and all prize money + $500k, understandable.

Take away all premiership points earned so far, understandable.

Make them play for nothing this season is over the top. The NRL deliberately want to ruin the Storm with this nail in the coffin. No reason for the players to play, no reason for supporters to go watch and no reason for supporters to buy a membership..

BratPack

If I were the Storm I wouldn't bother turning up, what more can they do? Take the license? They've already stuck the knife in

CFC 1979

i think the NRL may have shown a red rag to bull

some big smashings coming up - in score and hit ups

ossie85

Quote from: alman on April 25, 2010, 03:00:46 AM
Make them play for nothing this season is over the top. The NRL deliberately want to ruin the Storm with this nail in the coffin. No reason for the players to play, no reason for supporters to go watch and no reason for supporters to buy a membership..

Yeah, but they've paid the players too much for the 2010 season also. It's not fair on the other clubs IF they can earn points! What I think they should do is make a compromise - get the three best Melbourne Storm players and say the team can earn points if these three don't play. Will put them under the salary cap. Bad luck for the 3 players, but better than punishing the whole team.

HintT

I sort of agree with ossie.  At the moment they are playing with an illegal team and one that is over the salary cap.  They shouldn't be allowed to make any points whilst they are still over (and they've been given till March next year so a while away).

alman

Quote from: ossie85 on April 27, 2010, 05:16:59 AM
Quote from: alman on April 25, 2010, 03:00:46 AM

Yeah, but they've paid the players too much for the 2010 season also. It's not fair on the other clubs IF they can earn points! What I think they should do is make a compromise - get the three best Melbourne Storm players and say the team can earn points if these three don't play. Will put them under the salary cap. Bad luck for the 3 players, but better than punishing the whole team.

I agree that there are other alternatives to playing for nothing in 2010, like what you've suggested. Just can't help but feel that that last punishment is an attempt to ruin the Melbourne Storm.

HintT

Its not the players fault but its been done.  If they want to get all high and mighty - resign from the team to allow room in the cap and get picked up in the draft next season.