2022 Defenders

Started by enzedder, January 06, 2022, 02:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enzedder

Many options but Lloyd looks the best and should have a high ownership.
Lloyd at $586k is must IMO. He was the fourth highest scoring defender in 2021 and third on average behind two players who have mid status in 2022. He doesn’t tend to miss games. He is 70k cheaper than last year’s starting price and with Dawson’s move to Adelaide he should have the vast bulk of kick in duties once again which sees him very good value for money. Lock him in.

Dawson has moved to Adelaide so his role hasn’t been defined at this point but there’s a fair chance he could rack them up in the middle or if his role is similar to last year at the Swans and he gets kick-ins too he should be one of the top6 defenders in 2022. There’s always some unknowns at a new club but at 543k I think he’s worth it. He had last 5 round 115ave and some other nice scores preceding that.
He’s entering his prime years and looks a very solid pick.

Ridley looks to be a good pick as well. If he can get his share of kick ins again he will score well. He’s a great user and marking interceptor so SC is a good format for him. Redman took some percentage of kick ins from him last year and there’s a chance Ridley will be used less in lockdown roles in 2022 so last year’s average is more like his floor. At 537k he is value. Before he got injured in R5 last year he was 614k - let’s not forget that.

Crisp is Mr.Durable. He’s on the expensive side at 571k but he averaged 105 last year, doesn’t miss games and is touted to play midfield in 2022. 3rd most SC points as a defender in 2021, 19th overall. What more do you want?

Short looks like being a great pick too. He’s more affordable at 528k and he has shown he scores better when Houli doesn’t play. Houli’s gone! Top6 last year and probably again.

Stewart has averaged 100 and 108 over the last two years. 578k. Solid, safe, set and forget type. Same bye as Lloyd and price may be reasons not to start him.

Sicily didn’t play in 2021 and is only 448k as a result. Kick in duties and interception marking will no doubt see him worth that value if his role isn’t mucked around with. Somewhat of a risky pick on his durability or likelihood of playing 21-22 games but he will have a reasonably high ownership given his scoring potential and price. Don't think I will start him.

Daniel at 504k will tempt many. Over the last three years he has averaged 99, 102 and 94 and that’s probably similar to how I see him going in 2022. With so many Bulldog SC relevant players it is hard to see him jump up to 105-110 average. For this reason he is less likely to be a top6 defender come season’s end and I prefer others.

Whitfield at 502k will have his takers as well. On reflection I won’t be one but understand why he feature in a lot of teams. He’s super cheap. He’s capable of scoring extremely well and might be the #1 defender come year’s end…and his value could easily rise to over 600k. Will he get injured? Will he ruin your season? Risky pick.

Marchbank is 209k… kinda feels like we’ve been here before. Looks like I might be going here again…if he’s named R1. We know he is a 60-70 type so will generate some coin, fill in a D5/6 slot as a safe playing rookie defender pick and hopefully be able to offload him without any fuss. He has had his share of bad luck but here’s hoping the SC gods are kind enough to allow us what we want with him.

Don’t really think anyone else is too relevant or better than the above…May is your KPP type, Rich is expensive, Ryan and Docherty have dropped off their past bests, etc etc.

Peter

coglan13

Maynard? Bowes? Apparently training with the mids.

Mat0369

Marchbank tore his ACL mid year. He won't play early

don200652

Great write up NZ. The one missing though is Aaron Hall.
Although he's $572k there's an argument that if he maintains last years rebounding role
he's underpriced due to the fact he didn't switch to the backline until R4 or R5
He's currently my D2 after Lloyd