WXV Round 17: Change at Christchurch

Started by Purple 77, July 23, 2019, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

The last week! Normal lockout on Friday at 7.50pm :)

Round 17, AFL Round 19

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Toronto WolvesDublin DestroyersRogers Centre2  v  6
New Delhi TigersPacific IslandersWipro Stadium6  v  2
Beijing ThunderSeoul MagpiesBeijing Olympic Park, EurAsia, Asia4  v  3
Berlin BrewersTokyo SamuraiBerlin Olympic Stadium, EurAsia5  v  2
Cape Town CobrasMoscow SpetsnazNewlands Cricket Ground5  v  2
New York RevolutionRio de Janeiro JaguarsMetLife Stadium, AAP Alliance, Americas3  v  3
PNL ReindeersChristchurch SaintsState de France2  v  3
London RoyalsBuenos Aires ArmadillosNeutral, Manuka Oval4  v  3
Cairo SandsMexico City SunsBorg El Arab Stadium, AAP Alliance1  v  6

It's been nearly a year since these two clubs were involved in the grand final; one team is likely to be there again, the other will ponder what went wrong in 2019. The Wolves have rebuilt the respect they lost that day, and that's the only incentive for this match given the minor premiership is a sure thing. Dublin is out for blood this week too, so this would be a satisfying win for both clubs. I choose... Toronto.

The Tigers let a spot in the 4 slip last week, but they can regain it with a win here and if either Berlin or Cairo lose. It'd be weird if they only made the eight on percentage, which is what will happen if they lose against Pacific. The Islanders have everything to play for meanwhile, where a loss will spell the end of their season, and a win SHOULD get them into finals. I just think the Tigers will have the answers in this clash.

The two remaining teams in World Idol face off in the penultimate week for my MATCH OF THE ROUND! The Thunder will almost certainly finish 2nd on the ladder regardless of the result, but the World Idol presents itself as the first real piece of silverware in the clubs history and they will go all guns blazing to secure it. For Seoul - just wow. Their last 3 weeks have been absolutely inspiring, with their latest feat the most impressive in claiming the Wolves. HGA against is a tough challenge to overcome, but god damn, if you think this is the week I turn against Seoul for the first time in the year, you're DEAD WRONG! COME ON SEOUL!

Ah. Tokyo, my arch nemesis. Everything fell my way last week, seeing Berlin climb to its highest Round 16 position ever at 3rd place. This is flowering prime real estate, which I'm very interested in retaining. However, I just have this sinking feeling that Tokyo are going to rear their ugly head on me for the nth time and flower it all up for me. Even one of the guys they stole from me - Fritsch - has turned it on just in time for our clash, and the 164 they scored two weeks ago I just know was meant for me. Bring it on Boomz. I'm coming to play this week. I back us.

The Cobras have one, last, chance, but have to rely on results falling their way in order to make finals. Obviously, they have to win this week. Tey also need Pacific to lose against New Delhi, which is probably likely, or Rio to lose against New York, which is less likely. The equation is just about the same for Moscow, but sit prettier with a better percentage. Can Cape Town collapse over the line? I think Moscow win here, and make finals.

The Revolution, as mentioned above, have quite a role to play despite facing a bottom 5 finish for the year. If they beat the Jaguars this week, Moscow or Cape Town - and potentially Pacific - will owe them a trade sweetener. Rio really have toed the line in a finals campaign which looked assured just 3 weeks ago, but have their fate in their own hands where a win will see them make finals. Even a loss, they could get lucky and scrape in. I want to tip New York :P but I think Rio score 160+ this week and enter finals as the dark horse!

The last two teams of the comp face in each other on the eve of defining trade seasons, which will either seem them compete next year or slug it out again in 2020. The Saints have been waiting for the off-season ever since the last one ended, and with new management itching to get started, there is a sense of optimism about Christchurch once again. One gets the feeling that the Reindeers are also about to embark on serious change, but just need the courage to make it. A loss here will see PNL get a priority pick, but a win will get them respect. I'll back the Reindeers.

The Royals - much to the delight of my prediction - have taken the opportunity to climb in the back third of the season, with now 3 wins on the trot! Against the Dillos, they have the opportunity to take their season tally to 8 wins - which really, is only 2 away from competing in finals next year! A strategic trade period will get them there in 2020. The Dillos I'd say fizzled where we wanted them to pop, with a disappointing end to the season which - for a while there - looked like it might last til finals. Both clubs are eyeing off win 8, and I think London get it.

The Sands amazingly jeopardized their top 4 placing with an oddly predictable loss against London, but New Delhi's loss against Dublin has seen them stay in... for now. If Cairo lose, they still might make the 4, but leave themselves vulnerable to Seoul & New Delhi who might get up against their tough opponents. The Suns have heated up in the last third of the season, but missed an opportunity to capitalise with a loss against PNL last week. They MUST think they're a good chance against Cairo here, with a 145 average between rounds 12-15. Despite wanting to see the drama, I think Cairo consolidate their top 4 position here.

Purple 77

A reminder that you CANNOT REST a player this week for either finals, or Round 1 next year.

Purple 77

You also cannot use a flood or attack for finals! So may as well use any remaining allowances you have this week:

F/A1234567891011121314151617
Beijing Thunder1A
Berlin Brewers5FFFFF
Buenos Aires Armadillos1F
Cairo Sands2AF
Cape Town Cobras5FAAAF
Christchurch Saints2FF
Dublin Destroyers3AAA
London Royals0
Mexico City Suns0
Moscow Spetsnaz1F
New Delhi Tigers2AA
New York Revolution2FA
Pacific Islanders3FFF
PNL Reindeers0
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars3FFF
Seoul Magpies2AA
Tokyo Samurai2FF
Toronto Wolves3AAA

Purple 77

PowerBug

Jezzas FC

Def: Daniel Rich, Jezza Finlayson, Joel Hamling, James Frawley.
Mid: Elliot Yeo (C), Tim Taranto (VC), Karl Amon (RB), Bailey Dale.
Ruck: Zac Clarke.
Fwd: Jezza Cameron, Sam J Reid, James Parsons, Gary Rohan.
Int: Sean Lemmens (Fwd), Luke Brown (Def).

Emerg: Aaron Francis (Def), Zaine Cordy (Def), Corey Wagner (Mid).

In: James Frawley, Joel Hamling, Karl Amon, Bailey Dale, Zac Clarke, James Parsons, Gary Rohan, Sean Lemmens, Luke Brown.
Out: Hamish Hartlett, Brayden Maynard, Patrick Cripps, Jaeger O'Meara, Ivan Soldo, Jack Ziebell, Shaun McKernan, Tarryn Thomas, Eric Hipwood (ALL OMIT)

Sending a message.

Toga

Beijing & Seoul meeting in Round 17 where the winner will also be crowned winner of World Idol!

Would think that is a WXV first...

Toga

Beijing Thunder:
D: Brandon Ellis, Heath Shaw, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Jonas
M: Lachie Neale [VC], Dayne Zorko, Tom Rockliff, David Swallow
R: Brodie Grundy [C]
F: Kane Lambert, Darcy Macpherson, Luke Breust, Jy Simpkin
IC: Daniel Howe, Liam Baker

Emg: Marcus Adams, Mason Cox, Tyson Stengle

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Toga on July 23, 2019, 11:00:28 PM
Beijing & Seoul meeting in Round 17 where the winner will also be crowned winner of World Idol!

Beijing to win the matchup, Seoul to win the Idol :P

GoLions

Quote from: PowerBug on July 23, 2019, 10:46:45 PM
Jezzas FC

In: James Frawley, Joel Hamling, Karl Amon, Bailey Dale, Zac Clarke, James Parsons, Gary Rohan, Sean Lemmens, Luke Brown.
Out: Hamish Hartlett, Brayden Maynard, Patrick Cripps, Jaeger O'Meara, Ivan Soldo, Jack Ziebell, Shaun McKernan, Tarryn Thomas, Eric Hipwood (ALL OMIT)

Sending a message.
I dare you.

Koop

The last Church appearance for a fair few of these players.

CHRISTCHURCH SAINTS

D: Phil Davis (c), Mark Blicavs (vc), Robbie Tarrant, Michael Rischitelli
M: Sam Lloyd, James Rowbottom, Brett Deledio, Tom Scully
R: Aaron Sandilands
F: Jake Stringer, Harry McKay, Brent Daniels, Sam B. Reid
U: Sean Darcy, Brayden Preuss

E: Paddy Dow, Easton Wood, Jack Henry

upthemaidens

Pacific Islanders 

D: Rory Laird, Matt Suckling, Cam Guthrie, Aliir Aliir
M: Marcus Bontempelli, Andrew Gaff (VC), Jarryd Lyons (C), Adam Tomlinson
R: Jarrod Witts
F: Harrison Himmelberg, Sam Day, Josh Jenkins, Nathan Hrovat
Int: Rhys Stanley, Bailey Williams

E: Steven Motlop, Ethan Hughes, Jake Kolodjashnij

PowerBug

Quote from: GoLions on July 23, 2019, 11:28:38 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on July 23, 2019, 10:46:45 PM
Jezzas FC

Sending a message.
I dare you.
You dare me to make changes to my team that would've resulted in a 150 point increase on last weeks score? I'm just picking the players in form ;)

PowerBug

Jezzas FC (Flood)

Def: Daniel Rich, Jezza Finlayson, Hamish Hartlett, Brayden Maynard, Joel Hamling.
Mid: Elliot Yeo (C), Tim Taranto (VC), Jaeger O'Meara, Karl Amon (RB).
Ruck: Ivan Soldo.
Fwd: Jezza Cameron, Sam J Reid, Shaun McKernan.
Int: Jack Ziebell (Fwd), Patrick Cripps (Mid).

Emerg: Tarryn Thomas (Mid), Luke Brown (Def), Zac Clarke (Ruck).

In: Karl Amon, Joel Hamling.
Out: Tarryn Thomas, Eric Hipwood (Omitted).

Holz

Quote from: PowerBug on July 24, 2019, 05:21:40 PM
Jezzas FC (Flood)

Def: Daniel Rich, Jezza Finlayson, Hamish Hartlett, Brayden Maynard, Joel Hamling.
Mid: Elliot Yeo (C), Tim Taranto (VC), Jaeger O'Meara, Karl Amon (RB).
Fwd: Jezza Cameron, Sam J Reid, Shaun McKernan.
Int: Jack Ziebell (Fwd), Patrick Cripps (Mid).

Emerg: Tarryn Thomas (Mid), Luke Brown (Def), Bailey Dale (Mid/Fwd).

In: Karl Amon, Zac Clarke, Joel Hamling.
Out: Ivan Soldo, Tarryn Thomas, Eric Hipwood (All Omitted)

Nige was cracking the showers at me so changing it so he doesn't get angry. But I'm still sending a message.

2 Jezzas is hardly Jezzas FC.

Toga

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on July 23, 2019, 11:20:00 PM
Quote from: Toga on July 23, 2019, 11:00:28 PM

Beijing to win the matchup, Seoul to win the Idol :P

;D ;D