WXV Vacant Coaching Position: Christchurch Saints

Started by Purple 77, April 08, 2019, 07:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 07, 2019, 08:44:56 PM
WXV trade: 1st round draft pick
Christchurch trade: meow meow

Reasoning: compo.

... so yeah, it appears no one took this seriously. And given it involves meow, that's no surprise.

But the much beloved WXV personality has actually called time on his decorated WXVs career, leaving a team he... lets face it, took the piss with over the trade period :P

meow it perhaps the number #1 contributor in Worlds history when it comes to quality banter, and his departure will leave in a hole in the comp that it'll struggle to fill. Thankfully, meow has said he'll stick around as a vocal observer, which as always I look forward to.

This resignation is a tricky one to navigate. There are a couple of points to consider:

1) meow undertook a controversial trade period that undoubtedly killed any short term prospects Christchurch had. Given he's electing to leave whilst still fresh into the Christchurch rebuild, he's aware that leaving now means he won't get my or some others endorsement to return to WXVs as a coach should he want to in the future.

2) meow traded Christchurch under the minimum salary cap at the end of the last trade period. The punishment for this was the loss of their 2019 first round draft pick, and 4 premiership points. However, because it was a kinda careless mistake on meow's behalf, the punishment was more directed at him than the 'sorely in need' Christchurch, so I'd like to give the draft pick back to the  new Saints coach. I also think this is poetic, as meow FINALLY gets the compo he's been after ever since I negged his McKernan FOR Pick 12 trade at like, the end of the 2015 season haha.

So what happens next?

Round 4 starts on Thursday  :-X I'm not comfortable rushing this, so this weekend either meow or myself will name the Christchurch side.

APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 11.59:59 PM AEST

This allows for 3 days for any interested coach to apply, which SHOULD be enough time to cater for their conflicting schedules.

I'll then send a vote on Friday morning to the coaches, and should hopefully get the results back by Monday, allowing the new coach to get settled in before the following Thursday partial lockout.

To the WXV community, if you want to raise any concerns, such as handing back Christchurch's first round draft pick, please do so in the WXV Discussion thread.

Now, attention all aspiring applicants!

WXVs is a fantastic community of quality characters, from the "good guys" at PNL, to the "no-nonsense duo" at Pacific, and yes, even Nige. Year-on-year, we have 18 teams actively participating, which you do find yourself naturally doing anyway, because Worlds is just a fun and addicting place to be a part of.

From outstanding awards nights, weekly match previews, a proud & rich history as well as controversial rules and trade periods... this is where you fantasy football addicts belong.

But before I go on, ask yourself these questions. Am I active/passion enough to:
1) submit my team every week?
2) respond to votes in a timely manner?
3) trade?
4) Get banterous?!

IF you answered yes to all those questions, and think this is a place you'd love to be a part of, then be sure to apply in this thread.  I can safely assume that the WXVs Community - and myself personally - will be placing a premium on active engagement. Whether that takes the form of banter, a loud voice in threads, or looking to bring fresh new ideas into the comp... that's up to you! I'll leave the application format up to the applicants this time around.

ANYONE can apply, whether you are relatively new to FF or even a current WXVs coach, but remember when you write your applications, all the Worlds coaches will be voting for you, and will be reading them. So make sure you get in everything you want to say, but be careful of the TLDR glance (too long, didn't read).

The applicant with the most votes will take on the challenge at rebuilding a WXV side from absolute scratch, like Ricochet, elephants and Adamant before them.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to either PM me or post here :)

Cheers all, and good luck!

Christchurch Saints

Full NamePOS1POS2AVG
Tom LangdonDEF81.67
Brent DanielsFWD79.67
Robbie TarrantDEF76.67
Brett DeledioMID74.5
Conor McKennaDEF74.33
Mark BlicavsDEF73.33
Jake StringerFWD73.33
Harry McKayFWD73
Sam B ReidFWD71.67
Phil DavisDEF70.33
Sam LloydMID68.67
Paddy DowMIDFWD61.67
Patrick AmbroseDEF60.33
Sean DarcyRUC60
Zac BaileyMIDFWD53
Lewis YoungDEF51
Josh ThomasFWD50.67
Tom ScullyMID49.5
Ed RichardsDEF45.33
Easton WoodDEF42.33
Jack HenryDEF21.5
Jackson TrengoveDEF0
Aaron SandilandsRUC0
Tom BoydRUCFWD0
James StewartFWD0
Brennan CoxFWD0
Josh DaicosFWD0
Jarrod PickettFWD0
Tyler BrownDEF0
Will WalkerFWD0
Braydon PreussRUC0
Ely SmithMID0
Liam StockerMID0
Kieren BriggsRUC0
Connor McFadyenMIDFWD0
James RowbottomMID0
Atu BosenavulagiMIDFWD0
Durak TuckerDEF0
Jack PayneDEF0
Dylan BuckleyFWD0
Tomas BuggMID0
Dale MorrisDEF0
Tyson GoldsackDEF0
Michael RischitelliDEF0
Will LangfordMIDFWD0
Kurt TippettRUCFWD0

iZander

GoLions

Purple 77

Nige

JBs-Hawks

Koop

Wasn’t expecting to have to dust off the trusty Google Docs, but here we are. I’m toning down the funnies this time.

Hello WXV coaches, my name is Cooper, and I’d be honoured to be considered by you for the head coaching role at the Christchurch Saints. I have been a FanFooty member for 7 years now across 2 separate accounts, and am a pretty friendly dude all round.

A bit about me for those not familiar, I’m a first year University student studying Law & Economics at the University of Adelaide. I also work part-time at the Adelaide Oval floating around different hospitality divisions. I love my sport and am a massive numbers freak, as most of you have probably picked up at one point or another.

Most people might think I’m a bit weird for this, but I’m genuinely excited at the possibility of taking over this team. Christchurch (or more broadly, the NZ-based WXV franchise), has had an interesting history, all the way back to the train-wreck that was the pothead initial draft from pothead. However I genuinely think this is just another chapter in the NZ story, this kind of thing has been done before (NDT, Jing), and I believe I have the capabilities to pull it off again.

My XV history
Kathmandu Eskimos (AXV) - Founding Head Coach -  2012-2014
Huddersfield Hawks (BXV) - Assistant Coach - 2012-2013
Seoul Magpies (WXV) - Assistant Coach - 2012-2013
Liverpool Rams (BXV) - Assistant Coach - 2013-2014
Alberta Rockies (AXVIII SC) - Founding Head Coach - 2013-2014
Nicaragua Survivors (AXVIII DT) - Founding Head Coach - 2013-2014
Taiwan Dolphins (AXV) - Head Coach - 2016-
Cairo Sands (WXV) - Assistant Coach / Trade Advisor - 2016-
Hebden Bridge Hedgehogs (BXV) - Assistant Coach - 2016
Hebden Bridge Hedgehogs (BXV) - Head Coach - 2016-
Colorado Avalanche (AXVIII SC) - Assistant Coach - 2016-2017
Colorado Avalanche (AXVIII SC) - Head Coach - 2017-
Algerian Antelopes (WXVW) - Founding Head Coach - 2017-2018
Swiss Storm (EXV) - Co-Coach - 2017-
Beijing Thunder (WXV) - Assistant Coach - 2018-

I think the most important thing to take away from the above is that I am currently a WXV assistant, and have been for a fair while now across 3 different teams. This means I am well versed in the ruleset, competition dynamics, rivalries, etc. etc. and can hit the ground running fast if given the opportunity.

The one thing this team needs more than anything else is EXTREMELY careful management. The temptation would be to mortgage the team’s fairly depleted youth stocks for instant gratification. That won’t work here, it’s so far gone from competitiveness that this is a 2-4 year job at absolute minimum, and will involve a lot of grinding along the way. Just look at what Rico & elephants did with NDT as a blueprint. This is worse.   

Most of you would know my style from other competitions, I’m not afraid to change things up, and I will trade hard to get the squad that I want moving forward, irrespective of the teams current shortcomings. I am extremely committed to my current sides and have gone through 2 successful turnarounds with both Taiwan (15th-6th in 2 years) and Hebden Bridge (11th-7th in 12 months) both while actually making each list profile considerably younger in the process. I am also in charge of probably the worst XV team (including Christchurch) on the forum in Colorado. Elephants and I are 2 years through that rebuild, and we believe we’re on track to have it competitive again in under 18 months time. I have the experience for this operation, because that’s exactly what it is, let's call a spade a spade.

I’m a really approachable and friendly guy to have conversations with about trades and otherwise. Most of you here probably know that from working with either Beijing or Cairo. I love my number crunching & statistics and will search far and wide for the next breakout or hidden gem. I’ve even got iZander scared of trading with me because of it. ;)

Banter? I’ve already been through my activity levels on my last application, but Discord regulars will know I can pipe up from time to time. I’ve run out of movements regularly and am the most active trader in BXV for the last 2 seasons running (and AXV in 2017). I’ve also been an assistant at Cairo, so that should answer the question. :P I’m also punctually correct and concise, and you’ll get votes from me in a speedy fashion.

TL;DR

I thrive off a challenge, and I’m desperate to be able to do it and show my wares in the pinnacle of the XV’s. I hope what I’ve said above alludes to my commitment and ability to be successful with this opportunity, and I hope you consider me for the position!

Thank you for your time.

kilbluff1985

Hello Coaches,

i am applying as usual

i wont waste your valuable time by making you read a bunch just a few lines

most of you know me by now, my current 3 teams were highly competitive last year and were a chance for the premiership in all  leagues asc/adt/bxv but i lost Titch to injury in adt/bxv and we still competitive in bxv

i heard the list was bad but i havent looked yet, but i love a challenge and i just want a wxv team as you guys know i been wanting one for years, i think i add alot to all the leagues i'm currently in through banter and active trading and i believe all the admins are very happy having me in the leagues feel free to ask them yourselves jukes (asc), nige (adt), ringo (bxv)

anyway that'll do i guess

Pkbaldy

I'll apply. Currently been able to find more time in my days to be able to hold another coaching position.

I'm also love a good challenge. I was able to successfully rebuild 2 teams in the span of 2-3 seasons. Bolivia Condors (ADT) had the worst list I had ever seen in the keeper league (Besides this monstrosity), I was then able to turn it into a runner up in 2 years, and the premiers in the 3rd. New Brooklyn Hawks (ASC), was a little bit harder, but i've able to bring them to finals in 2 seasons, and this season I believe i can challenge the top. As for Wrexham Knights (BXV), i've taken a different approach to my trading and drafting, so it hasn't been as successful, but i've made finals 2 times in the 4 years running it, with a good core of young kids coming through.

Dealing with a WXV team of this caliber will be a bit different. I have no idea how it was even allowed to get to this standard... But I believe with some good drafting I can get this club in a decent position (No point mentioning trading, because it has minimal trade value).

And i'm also a much better person than both Coop and KB. So it would just be easier to pick me...

kilbluff1985

kilbluff1985

just a minor edit

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 09, 2019, 12:16:47 AM
Hello Coaches,

i am applying as usual

i wont waste your valuable time by making you read a bunch just a few lines

most of you know me by now, my current 3 teams were highly competitive last year and were a chance for the premiership in all  leagues asc/adt/bxv but i lost Titch to injury in adt/bxv and we still competitive in bxv

i heard the list was bad but i havent looked yet, but i love a challenge and i just want a wxv team as you guys know i been wanting one for years, i think i add alot to all the leagues i'm currently in through banter and active trading and i believe all the admins are very happy having me in the leagues feel free to ask them yourselves jukes (asc), nige (adt), ringo (bxv)

anyway that'll do i guess

kilbluff1985

SilverLion

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 10, 2019, 11:10:10 PM
big news coming tomorrow
;)

Hello WXV Coaches,

I wish to formally apply to be Co-Coach of the Christchurch Saints with kb. I am relatively new to the XVs setup, having been assisting kb in ASC (Anaheim) and ADT (Bermuda) since mid-way through last year, as well as being the current head coach of the Oxford Lions is BXVs since Round 15 last season. However despite my relatively low experience, I believe I have a lot to offer and add to the WXVs community.

In my first off season in BXVs I was very active in trading, having completed trades with 10 of the other 15 teams (Full Trade and Draft recap: http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,111675.msg1945209.html#msg1945209).

Regarding Christchurch, as stated by others it is fairly clear that the list is in a terrible state and will no doubt take multiple years to make competitive. However, I feel that between kb and myself we will be aggressive in trading and drafting and be able to improve the side significantly in a reasonably short amount of time.

In terms of the SC scoring system, as many of you know I am very familiar with it, having been doing SC for at least 6 years now (might have been longer, but my account only has records for 6 years), so I have a very sound understanding of player value and potential in this format.

Like kb, I'm also very active on both the forum and discord, so there'll be no issues regarding communication between the two of us. And also with 2 coaches comes twice the banter ;)

TL;DR I am applying as co-coach with kb as we believe together we'll add a lot to the WXVs community, and with our combined knowledge and experience in SC and XVs, be able to improve Christchurch in no time.

Thanks for considering my application :)

Purple 77

And the application window is closed!

A thank you to Koop, PK and KB/SL for applying. The vote will be sent out shortly, asking for community to vote for their most preferred option. There will not be 3-2-1 system in this case.

Good luck!