WXV Round 9: Saints to Surge on Dublin Dismay?

Started by Purple 77, May 15, 2018, 08:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Normal lockout week :) but...

If you rest a Gold Coast or Port Adelaide player, you'll still receive their resting bonus in WXV Round 10... but you won't know what that is until AFL Round 12. And yeah, they have to be playing in AFL Round 12 for you to receive their bonus. OR! Go simple and rest a player from the other 16 teams :P

Round 9, AFL Round 9

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Berlin BrewersSeoul MagpiesBerlin Olympic Stadium, EurAsia5  v  1
Pacific IslandersNew Delhi TigersBSP Stadium2  v  4
Christchurch SaintsDublin DestroyersAMI Stadium0  v  3
Toronto WolvesPNL ReindeersRogers Centre3  v  3
New York RevolutionCape Town CobrasMetLife Stadium, AAP Alliance4  v  2
Cairo SandsBeijing ThunderBorg El Arab Stadium4  v  2
London RoyalsMexico City SunsLondon Olympic Stadium1  v  5
Moscow SpetsnazRio de Janeiro JaguarsLuzhniki Stadium2  v  1
Buenos Aires ArmadillosTokyo SamuraiEstadio de River4  v  2

The Brewers have made serious headway over the last month, managing to sneak into the top 4 mostly off the back of Gawn & Fyfe. The Magpies meanwhile got to welcome their own atlas' back into form last week, with Dangerfield and Oliver going nuts. Both teams have a fair chunk of missing players, so it kinda levels out in that department. But I just think Seoul have more consistent remaining players, and will take home the W.

There are a few MOTR contenders this week, but I seriously can't look past this guaranteed 300+ point game as my MATCH OF THE ROUND! The Islanders continue to be the measuring stick of the comp, despite a vulnerable performance last week. The Tiges are one of the few teams that can go toe-to-toe with the Islanders at their best, and that's the performance I believe they'll have to bring to defeat the Islanders at home. I think BSP stadium will be the difference here!

The Saints continue to time their run perfectly well, with the return of GAJ last week ending up being the difference between a win and a loss. The Destroyers meanwhile, have some serious midfield issues with Dustin Martin's form falling off a cliff recently, and Brad Crouch looking at a longer stint on the sidelines. Can we be confident anymore that Dublin will score 140+ this week? I'm really not sure, and I just think Christchurch are only getting better from here. The Saints for me!

The Wolves can just flick cruise control on from this point onwards in order to get to September, and this week is no exception. The Reindeers, right now, clearly look like this years wooden spooners. Moscow will win another game at some point... I'm not sure PNL will, especially not this game. Macrae for a rest?

The Revolution would be quietly disappointed they couldn't get over Seoul last week; if a 150+ performance is not required against one of the big 4, then losing the match is an opportunity lost. I feel like the Cobras have an upset win currently in the works... I think they're building. Is it this week? Maybe. But I just think New York are a different kettle of fish with a playing ruck, so New York for me.

The Sands got a genuinely good win against the Jags last week; scoring 140+ with an OOP ruck is no easy feat. But, this week they come up against the highest scoring team of last week in the 'Jing, whom with more performances like that will soon gain approval of teams whom perhaps suspect they've been fortunate so far. I think a corner has been turned for Beijing, and I'll tip them for another good win here.

This game presents a golden chance for both clubs to get another win, and avoid that wooden spoon. The Royals continue their struggle in the 110-130 range, whereas the Suns have started to look more 130+ capable in recent weeks. For this reason, I tend to favour the Suns, but in saying that the Royals do have an intense defense when called upon. Actually, I think I will tip the Royals at home!

The Spetsnaz are SURELY due for a win? SURELY! After opening the year with a win, Moscow have proceeded to lose every game since and sit alone at the bottom of the ladder, 1-7. Considering they have outscored the next 7 teams above them, you could safely say they've been unlucky. The Jags meanwhile, continue to be the team I can't seem to pick. Some weeks, they look like a safe and solid 8th-12th kinda team, but then we get reminded that there isn't many players left from that famous premiership side and that the bottom 4 is a real possibility. Regardless, this presents a genuine chance for Moscow to notch up a much deserved win, and I'll tip them to do so!

The Dillos I think would personally be thrilled that they've netted 3 wins so far; already beating last year's total of 1. The rise of Ed Curnow and Jimmy Webster has really been the difference, and armed with a host of youngsters raring to go, they really could avoid the bottom 4 altogether. Although the Samurai are 3-5... it's a good 3-5. Sitting at 10th, and with solid-to-great form over the last 4-5 weeks, I think they could a smoky to make the finals! Gotta win this game though, and I think they will.

Purple 77

Purple 77

You know like, when you're in a group assignment, and only like, 2 people do all the work?

Purple 77

Toga

BEIJING THUNDER:
D: Tom Jonas, Jackson Thurlow, Tom Cutler, Nathan Broad
M: Lachie Neale, Callan Ward, Dayne Zorko, Ollie Wines (VC)
R: Brodie Grundy (C)
F: Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert, Taylor Walker, Luke Breust
IC: Tom Rockliff, Daniel Howe

Emg: Daniel Butler (f), Mason Cox (r/f), Easton Wood (d)

iZander

Buenos Aires Armadillos

Team Format: Traditional

D: Jimmy Webster, Tom Doedee, Jamie MacMillan, Riley Bonner
M: Darcy Parish, Chris Masten, Trent Dumont, Jarrod Berry
R: Cam Rayner
F: Shane Edwards, Shaun Atley, Cale Hooker, Oliver Florent
U: Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra
E: Andrew Brayshaw, Mark LeCras, Jy Simpkin

C: Jimmy Webster
VC: Paddy Dow
RP:
NR:

Holz

Alex Rance, Tom McDonald, Steven May, Oscar Mcdonald
Matt Crouch (C), Dustin Martin, Joel Selwood, Stephen Hill
Majak Daw
Jack Gunston, Tom Hawkins, Justin Westhoff, Jack Reiwoldt
Todd Goldstein, Nick Holman

Jack Henry, Mitch Lewis

Ricochet

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM
You know like, when you're in a group assignment, and only like, 2 people do all the work?

I was a Goddard

iZander

Quote from: Ricochet on May 16, 2018, 11:24:33 AM

I was a Goddard
I feel like i would be further down the list

Ricochet

Quote from: iZander on May 16, 2018, 02:05:27 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on May 16, 2018, 11:24:33 AM

I was a Goddard
I feel like i would be further down the list
haha ;D

Adamant

Looking forward to Christchurch and Sandi destroying Pie this week.

Holz

Quote from: Holz on May 16, 2018, 10:58:05 AM
Alex Rance, Tom McDonald, Steven May, Oscar Mcdonald
Matt Crouch (C), Dustin Martin, Joel Selwood, Nick Holman
Majak Daw
Jack Gunston, Tom Hawkins, Justin Westhoff, Jack Reiwoldt
Todd Goldstein, Jack Henry

Mitch Lewis, Phil Davis, Dan Nielson

well the decision between playing Holman or Henry just got easier. Hill out means i have to play both.

what in the world is going on with the medical staff at these clubs.

Lids 1-2 weeks away is going to turn into 5
Crouch pretty much is lets wait and see, maybe put him in surgery in a month
Hill named last week, late out and now not playing this week.
Sloane they play him when he is injured then he gets injured at training again.

the level of incompetence in these AFL medical clubs is amazing

RaisyDaisy

^^ Matt Crouch in doubt now too

Luckily you've got heaps of depth

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on May 17, 2018, 01:40:16 PM
^^ Matt Crouch in doubt now too

Luckily you've got heaps of depth

shame my depth is also injured.

if he is out then i think my outs are better then my list of available players.

i would be missing

D4 D6 D7
M2 M3 M5 M6
F2

where is this mid season trade period.

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on May 17, 2018, 01:48:33 PM
where is this mid season trade period.
So you can trade in more injury prone players?