Main Menu

Cricket TV Rights Deal

Started by PowerBug, April 13, 2018, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

It seems like she's all but signed, announcement to be this afternoon

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-13/cricket-coverage-shakeup-with-seven-and-foxtel-winning-rights/9652964

QuoteIt is understood Seven will broadcast all Tests on home soil as well as the Big Bash.

QuoteFoxtel's Fox Sports will cover all games, taking exclusive rights to international one-day 50 overs matches and Twenty20 internationals, putting them behind a pay wall for the first time.

QuoteHowever, Nine is not totally out of the game for the time being.

It still has deals in place to broadcast the next Ashes series from England, the ODI World Cup in the UK in 2019 and in 2020 the T20 World Cups to be held in Australia.

There we go

Ringo

Will be interesting to see who the commentators are but basically we will see less Cricket on FTA. Looks like BBL will be exclusively on Fox from what I am reading.

Gigantor

So only the ODI's and T20I's won't be free, not really that much of a loss haha

shaker

Oh well looks like the only cricket I will be watching is the big bash till Fox Sports get there hands on that , when I was young cricket was a really big thing for me but I now have little interest more so with current things going on so these changes are no biggie for me.

P:S Reading that again looks like BBL is gone as well oh well bye bye cricket

Gigantor

Quote from: Ringo on April 13, 2018, 01:39:54 PM
Will be interesting to see who the commentators are but basically we will see less Cricket on FTA. Looks like BBL will be exclusively on Fox from what I am reading.

Thats not how I read it

QuoteIt is understood Seven will broadcast all Tests on home soil as well as the Big Bash.

PowerBug

Quote from: Gigantor on April 13, 2018, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Ringo on April 13, 2018, 01:39:54 PM

Thats not how I read it

Articles in the morning were suggesting that the BBL would be on Fox, which I assume is what Ringo is referring to.

The commentator jumble will be fun, one thing is certain though:

Ringo

Just watched the press conference and now confirmed that Mens ODI and T20 will be exclusively on Fox.  >:( >:(
So if we ant to watch have to get a Fox subscription.
Interested to see what streaming services will be available and whether it is free.

We will get 43 BBL games live on 7 though so not too bad,

Gigantor

flower, thanks for ruining my Friday arvo PB  >:(  :P

PowerBug

Quote from: Ringo on April 13, 2018, 04:23:46 PM
We will get 43 BBL games live on 7 though so not too bad,
This was what was interesting, and I don't know if anyone picked up on it at the media conference. But there's 16 Fox only BBL games. So that means the BBL is EXPANDING to 14 matches per side (Play every twice) and then 2 semis and a final

Ringo

I picked up on the number but your maths are better than mine.

Levi434

I hope channel 7 don't ruin cricket! This screams to me that channel 7 want the BBL and just had to take on everything else. Can't wait for ads between every ball.

R.Griffen

Talks on Twitter that Fox and 7 will have seperate commentary teams for the test. Will be good if true, fox the world type feed like overseas cricket while 7 can have whoever

R.Griffen

Everyone complaining about less cricket on fta. Huge overreaction. comparison

2017/18
5 test - 450x5=2250
5 ODI’s - 100x5=500
3 T20I - 40x3=120
43 BBL - 40x43=1720
Max overs = 4590

2018/19
6 test - 450x6=2700
43 BBL - 40x43=1720
Max Overs = 4420

PowerBug

Plus more women's matches. Which is where Sutherland gets the "there will be more FTA cricket with us" line from.

fanTCfool

16 BBL games exclusive to Foxtel are gonna kill me, you will be missed  :'(