WXV Round 2: Top Teams - Toronto in, Mexico City out?

Started by Purple 77, March 27, 2018, 08:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

TWO PARTIAL LOCKOUTS

(1) Thursday night at 7:50pm AEDST: Adelaide v Richmond

This means that all Adelaide and Richmond players you choose (or don't choose) to be in your team, will be 'locked in', meaning you cannot drop (or select initially un-chosen) players as soon as the first bounce occurs.

(2) Friday at 4:20pm AEDST: North Melbourne v St Kilda

This means that all North and Saints players you choose (or don't choose) to be in your team, will be 'locked in', meaning you cannot drop (or select initially un-chosen) players as soon as the first bounce occurs.

The rest of the round will be locked out at the commencement of Carlton v Gold Coast at 13:45 AEDST Saturday afternoon.

Round 2, AFL Round 2, Easter Weekend

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
New York RevolutionDublin DestroyersMetLife Stadium3  v  3
Toronto WolvesNew Delhi TigersRogers Centre4  v  2
Seoul MagpiesCairo SandsSeoul World Cup Stadium5  v  1
Rio de Janeiro JaguarsPacific IslandersMaracana Stadium, AAP Alliance1  v  2
Berlin BrewersMexico City SunsBerlin Olympic Stadium2  v  5
Moscow SpetsnazChristchurch SaintsLuzhniki Stadium0  v  3
London RoyalsPNL ReindeersLondon Olympic Stadium, EurAsia, Europe2  v  4
Tokyo SamuraiBeijing ThunderTokyo Olympic Stadium, EurAsia, Asia3  v  3
Buenos Aires ArmadillosCape Town CobrasEstadio de River, AAP Alliance3  v  4

New York got lucky last week, but once again utilised their tactic of conceding defeat early to get the win. It was actually quite notable given how short-staffed they were, but they'll need them all back for this week. The Destroyers took out the highest score of the round, but I would say it was Seoul that impressed most. That can't be allowed to stand, can it Dublin? Dublin for me.

This clash is most certainly my MATCH OF THE ROUND! Although the Wolves were 80% new last week, they continued their improvement in an impressive win over the Thunder. I honestly do think Toronto could be our new resident top 4 team. New Delhi would be filthy at letting Dublin beat them AGAIN! Time to let it all out on an innocent bystander I say. The Tigers for me, in a 300+ point game!

The Magpies notched an amazing 4 SC point win over the Islanders last week, in this seasons first 300+ point game. And that was without Danger! He might have a new amigo in his return this week, with David Swallow (110) showing why he was so highly rated all those years ago. The Sands lost a chunk of pride losing to arch rival Cape Town last week, and they won no admirers with a low score in the 120s. In the interest of once again picking up a favourite past time of mine, I for one feel Cairo are no good and should  concede defeat for the rest of the season. *Ahhh, Worlds is back*. Seoul in this one.

Winning last week would have felt good for the 'written-off' Jaguars, even if it was against another 'written-off' team in Tokyo. I dunno, we shouldn't dismiss the merits of a 132, that score vicinity actually can bring a few wins.  The Islanders would have thought the same about a 150 mind you, and amazingly that wasn't good enough against Seoul, falling 4 SC points agonizingly shy of victory. I think they will bank on a rebounding victory here.

Now, I'm not one to prompt the wrath of the footy gods (that's an unadulterated lie), but I'm taking last week's win against Christchurch as a sign that Berlin is in for a good year. Previously, I'd have lost that match because I captained Fyfe over Gawn, or chose to play Michael Johnson over Menzel. But Lance Franklin getting 175 in the last match to take me over the line? That's gotta be a sign right? This week, I look to arguably the best WXV club ever in the Mexico City Suns in unrecognisable shape. Having finally tapped the well dry after 6 elite years at the top, the Suns look settled for a stint in the cellar (and about time too I hear its previous occupants say!). Still, massive respect for this team, and it'd still be a win I'd deem as significant. I'll back myself in.

The Spetsnaz managed a hearty 130 despite injury restricted scores on the park (not to mention the resident LTI that takes a new form every year). That XV is capable of much more, so what I took out of that performance was that Moscow can challenge for the 8 this year. Similarly, I found that to be the case of Christchurch too, except I really do think that if they stay fit... they could sneak into the 4. Led by GAJ & Grape, I'm backing the Saints on most occasions this year I reckon.

The Royals have copped a bit of flack over the pre-season, so it would have felt good to notch a win last week. The signs were actually quite promising, with 4 centurions ensuring London not only take the win, but showing that they can compete for the rest of the season. The Reindeers - well - that was an opportunity gone begging. Their fitness coach needs sacking I reckon, because only 16 players were fit last week and 2 of them needed subbing out. Can PNL field a XV this week? I'm backing the deeper side in London in this one.

The Samurai certainly have started seasons better in the past (*death stare*), and will already be looking to put last weeks performance behind them. But, moreso would their opponents in Beijing! The Thunder narrowly missed out on being eliminated from World Idol! That's right! The Thunder! What the hell happened? There is some much needed respect that needs to be earned back this week, and I think the 'Jing will be going 150+.

Now, although the scoreline was reminiscent to last year, the vibe certainly wasn't. Buenos Aires posted just 120, but when you see names such as Andrew Brayshaw, Paddy Dow and Riley Bonner making their debut, along with Jarrod Berry tonning up and Parish the steadying influence in the midfield... the light is bright at the end of the tunnel. The Cobras have probably already got their favourite win of 2018 behind them, but why stop there? You'd honestly be surprised how often scores in the 128-132 range notch up wins, and if they continue to score in this vicinity... they could make finals. Cape Town to make it 2 from 2 I reckon.

Nige

Listen here 77, you and I are gonna have a stern chat.

RaisyDaisy

Such a waste of HGA this week  ;D

Our record vs Dublin at 3-3, that'd have to be right up there wouldn't it? Surely not many other teams have a better record vs Dublin?

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 27, 2018, 11:25:17 PM

Our record vs Dublin at 3-3, that'd have to be right up there wouldn't it? Surely not many other teams have a better record vs Dublin?

Not really imigane you beat me in season 1 and 2. Then got 1 win in the last 4

Dublin isnt full strength you can easily win if you have a good game

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Holz on March 27, 2018, 11:35:53 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 27, 2018, 11:25:17 PM

Not really imigane you beat me in season 1 and 2. Then got 1 win in the last 4

Dublin isnt full strength you can easily win if you have a good game

Haven't we beaten you twice lately?  ;)

Dublin doesn't need to be full strength, we're absolutely shot to pieces

Hurn, Hanley, Tarrant, Henderson
Higgins, Steele, Dunstan, Lewis
Ryder
JJK, Rough, Betts, Reid
Douglas, Greenwood

Reckon you'll struggle against that?  ;D

Adamant

Keen to take another good scalp this week. NDT will get Houli, Gray and possibly Hanners back so we'll have our work cut out for us but I reckon we're up for the challenge. Should be an interesting night at the selection table, especially if Dion is available. Tim Kelly and his 118 couldn't even crack the emergencies while a further two defenders went 98+ for Windsor. It's a good feeling to finally have some depth for once.

GoLions

Kate Upton Cobras

D: Luke McDonald, Callum Mills, Aaron Mullett, Jack Bowes
M: Mitch Duncan, Brad Ebert, Mark Blicavs, Ben Cunnington
R: Toby Nankervis
F: Tom Papley, Lewis Taylor, Alex Neal-Bullen, Kieren Jack
U: Touk Miller, David Mackay
E: Ben Ainsworth, Taylor Garner, Jake Carlisle

C: Mitch Duncan
VC: Toby Nankervis

iZander

Buenos Aires Armadillos

Team Format: Traditional

D: Jamie MacMillan, Tom Doedee, Riley Bonner, Jimmy Webster
M: Ed Curnow, David Armitage, Trent Dumont, Paddy Dow
R: Koby Stevens (OOP)
F: Cale Hooker, Darcy Parish, Shane Edwards, Harry Taylor
U: Andrew Brayshaw, Jarrod Berry
E: Cameron Rayner, Jy Simpkin, Shane Biggs

C: Riley Bonner
VC: Ed Curnow

Levi434

Prediction for R2: Dublin will have a huge week. I've given Holz a REV-up.

meow meow

If we stay fit we're a shot at top 4! Go us!

Pity Libba is gone and others are missing. We had 17 available last week before Libba went down, and Scully, Griffen and Wells aren't likely to return this week. Relying on the likes of Waite, McVeigh and Sandi should be fine though. Depth is so 2016-17.

Still when we've got Parker in the team we could probably win with just 13 or 14 playing most weeks!

Toga

Beijing Thunder

D: B.Ellis, S.Mayes, J.Hunt, T.Jonas
M: L.Neale (C), D.Zorko, O.Wines, C.Ward
R: B.Grundy (VC)
F: J.Caddy, K.Lambert, T.Walker, L.Breust
IC: T.Rockliff, D.Howe
E: B.Hill, D.Butler, C.Byrne

Holz

Emg: Phil Davis, Dan Nielson, Majak Daw

Jroo

Mexico City Suns
D: James Sicily, Jacob Weitering, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Bernie Vince
M: Lachie Hunter (VC), Nic Newman, Jared Polec, Jack Graham
R: Billy Longer
F: Christian Petracca (C), James Harmes, Jordan Murdoch, Darcy MacPherson
U: Jarryn Geary, Lewis Jetta

EMG: Mason Wood, Jacob Townsend, Luke Davies-Uniacke

Holz

Quote from: Levi434 on March 28, 2018, 09:41:23 PM

Is 152 without HGA missing 4 starters not huge?

Levi434

Quote from: Holz on March 29, 2018, 01:03:54 AM
Quote from: Levi434 on March 28, 2018, 09:41:23 PM

Is 152 without HGA missing 4 starters not huge?

No.

Dublin will go 163 based purely off having a graphic.