SC Draft 2018 tips and dates

Started by petefisker, January 30, 2018, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefisker

Hey lads,

I'm putting together an SC Draft comp with mates, going to do the Live draft piss up.
Never played it before one and wondering if anyone could share tips and best rules to use etc
Also the best time to do the draft, i'm guessing March 17th or 18th after JLT and the weekend before the season starts? Or better to do it earlier?

Will probbaly have around 12-16 people playing.
How do you determine who goes first and pretty muc hgets Dangerfield?
Also i'm intersted to understand the whole open inter team trading - like why would anyone want to trade out there decent player? or do people just trade average players hoping one will work out?

Cheers
Westy

Ringo

Not sure of your excel skills but list all the players with a number and use random organiser to see who goes 1.

Spite

Quote from: petefisker on January 30, 2018, 01:49:57 PM
Hey lads,

I'm putting together an SC Draft comp with mates, going to do the Live draft piss up.
Never played it before one and wondering if anyone could share tips and best rules to use etc
Also the best time to do the draft, i'm guessing March 17th or 18th after JLT and the weekend before the season starts? Or better to do it earlier?

Will probbaly have around 12-16 people playing.
How do you determine who goes first and pretty muc hgets Dangerfield?
Also i'm intersted to understand the whole open inter team trading - like why would anyone want to trade out there decent player? or do people just trade average players hoping one will work out?

Cheers
Westy

Best to do the weekend before the season starts. Any earlier and if you cop a serious injury, it may be season over and then you just have a dead in the league ruining it.

Random number generator for pick 1, the SC website will do it automatically and you won't know until right before it starts, which is good because you can't really build strategies around it.

People will trade out break out players for premos who have had a slow start. For example, I panic traded Hurley out for Matt Crouch after round 4. Generally the first picked players don't move clubs though, you're right.

Make sure you do a snake draft, it is completely unfair not to do that otherwise. Snake means the order will go 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 otherwise it will go 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 which is impossible for the person who gets last pick.

Additionally, turning OFF captains will make the draft much more fair in a 12+ person league. When someone gets dangerfield and someone gets sloane with pick 12 for example, that is already a 30 points difference - then double it to 60 points. Very unfair. People will complain very quickly when the season starts even though I bet most people will want captains to start the season. (They will realise too late).

I enjoy doing deep drafts, so picking squads of 15+ players. This means there is more skill involved for drafting. When it is 2-3-1-2 format then everyone has gun teams and it isn't as much fun imo as it is mostly luck.

For some tips, I would suggest if you end up outside of the top 5 picks, probably pick Gawn. If you miss Ryder, Gawn or Krezuer, probably don't bother getting a ruck until the end of the draft. Once someone takes a ruck, everyone starts taking them and it's always best to get a 95+ defender than an 85 ruck. There is always the Sean Darcy or whoever that pops up during the season that you can take and play as a ruck. Even bellchambers averaged 91 lol so just leave it until last if you miss the big guns.

Most of all, just have fun!