Main Menu

Settle an Argument

Started by Holz, September 13, 2017, 05:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

ok so this is perhaps a bias sample as its a football site.

But i was having a argument with a friend regarding which State was the capital of sport/home of sport in Australia.

Now the only options are NSW v Victoria considering they are the biggest. I know that WA and Adelaide could be bigger then both by population but thats not the argument.

RaisyDaisy

VIC, and it's not even close

AFL vs NRL you "could"say is a draw, although AFL has more fans/coverage Australia wide, but just the F1 and Australian Open alone are enough to blow NSW out of the water. Boxing Day test is the major test too, and again in Melbourne

MCG is the GOAT of stadiums too

Again, not even close

Koop

Having lived in both

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on September 13, 2017, 05:53:26 PM
VIC, and it's not even close

Rugby and eSports (NSW & Adelaide) might be the only two that differ.

AaronKirk

Add the Spring Racing Carnival which also brings billions into the Victorian economy.

Victoria has 10 lengths on anywhere else.

jvalles69

Vic for sure.  MCG, Australian open, Melbourne cup etc etc.

In saying that, I've never seen more sport mad people than I have when I lived in SA, I thought WA was crazy, but Radelaide took it to another level.

Holz

100% agree with everyone, the guy im talking to is West Australian but he follows Rugby.

AFL #1 sport,
Australian Open
F1
Melbourne Cup

v

State of Origin (which is half QLd)

is my basic argument.

let alone Victoria is #1 out of the states in sport attendance, and NSW is last.

also participation is equal but Victoria have alot more people involved in organised sport not playing. Thats people who go to watch and help out at local footy etc who dont play.

Ringo

As an outsider has to be Victoria

Just look at the attendances at the Finals last weekend.  The Swans game in Sydney drew more people that the NRL Finals next door.

Koop

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 13, 2017, 06:40:28 PM
In saying that, I've never seen more sport mad people than I have when I lived in SA, I thought WA was crazy, but Radelaide took it to another level.

We are an interesting bunch.  ;D

enzedder

Melbourne Cup
Australian Open Tennis
AFL Grand Final
Formula 1 Grand Prix
Boxing Day Test
Royal Melbourne Golf Club (West course)
Kingston Heath
vs
Not much

jvalles69

Quote from: Koop on September 13, 2017, 06:48:30 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on September 13, 2017, 06:40:28 PM

We are an interesting bunch.  ;D

I loved it!  Could go down to Wayville any day of the week and they'd always be bball pickup games going on to feed my bball obsessions!  :P

LordSneeze

Holz

pretty much going as expected. Some would argue Sporting Capital of the world. Now for population size id put that argument out there.

However its Australia we cant compete with the likes of the New York with the Knicks, Yankees or London with Arsenal Chelsea, Wimbledon etc...

MCG, Ammi Park, Rod Laver in walking distance of each other thats pretty elite though. Id certainly have it number 1 taking population into account.

Holz

wow now he says is its mostly men who care about sports. Most women dont care about sports at all apparently.

Gigantor

Vic easy, expect for Union, which is why cutting the Force and not the Rebels was joke.

Ziplock

as someone who's spent a shower ton of his time recently trying to recruit national sporting organisations into research programs, they're nearly all based in Melbourne.