WXV Grand Final 2017: Seoul v Dublin

Started by Purple 77, August 22, 2017, 08:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Now, is the end of World War VI.

Grand Final, AFL Round 23

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Seoul MagpiesDublin DestroyersMelbourne Cricket Ground2  v  4

These two teams have battled, won and eliminated their enemies all year. It's times like these - in the silence before the storm - that look back upon how these teams looked before the war began:

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 19, 2017, 01:18:00 PM
The heartbreak story of 2016, the Seoul Magpies would be itching to have another charge at finals with reigning Jim Stynes medallist Patrick Dangerfield leading the way. Seoul proved last year that 10 wins doesn’t automatically get you into finals, and that you need more than one player to average more than 100 to do so. It’s in this department where I think Seoul are in luck. Josh Kelly, David Swallow, Tom Lynch, Toby Greene, heck even Clayton Oliver are all capable of hitting the ton and there is just SO MUCH ROOM for improvement in this team. I have them finishing 10th, but I expect them to be a firm contender for finals.

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 19, 2017, 01:18:00 PM
The Destroyers shocked the competition in their last appearance, by losing to the eventual premiers in their home preliminary final. Like the Suns, the Destroyers are accustomed to being the best, and as an outsider looking in, it kinda feels like they go through the motions of the Home & Away season just to get to finals, so to lose a final in the manner they did... it’d be a frustrating 11.5 month wait to get another shot. The Destroyers are the team with the largest amount of elite players, but the least amount of decent players. Without much injury, I’ve tipped them to win the premiership, but I feel they are vulnerable this year.

The Magpies... just, what a season really. I'm going to steer clear of stats as much as I can, because you all know them by now. What matters, is that this team had to tough it out for the first five years of their existence; twice being cruelly denied of a maiden finals birth thanks to a Daniel Merrett uncharacteristically mammoth score in 2012, and a Round 17 Cape Town JPK captains' effort last year. What matters, is that throughout all this hardship Seoul maintained a patient and diligent list build that has developed the leadership and character to beat anyone in the competition. What matters, is that they beat the Islanders without their star player, and conquered the minor premiers to get where they are today. This team is ready to put the nightmares of their past behind them, and capitalise on the strength that it has given them. They just need to perform one, last, time.

It's been fascinating watching Dublin change in the past couple of years. After the disappointment of the 2015 season - a season in which they produced the most intimidating Home & Away season in our history - Dublin realised that they could take a couple of step back and trade into a more long-term list, lose a couple of more games, but still give themselves effectively the same chance of a premiership as they did when they were at their prime. After all, what's the point of getting a list that wins every game, but not the premiership? This team we see step in yet another grand final arguably has the most talent and firepower in its starting XV; but lacks basically any depth. It was a gamble; but oh, what a fine one it was. Dublin goes into the last game of the year with all of their star players and, despite some lapses throughout the year - has seemingly timed their form to utmost perfection. Win or lose, this is a tremendous coaching effort; no wonder Dublin continues to be part of the Top 4 furniture. Will they become the first team to win two WXV premierships? Would a win here feel better than their 2014 flag?

These two teams are no strangers at taking the odd jab at each other... nothing like a Grand Final to make a rivalry official! These teams certainly have had distinguishable form lines... in fact, take a look for yourselves!

RoundSeoulDublinWinner
1130153Dublin
2144150Dublin
3146168Dublin
4148128Seoul
5140161Dublin
6129134Dublin
7138125Seoul
8150128Seoul
9143162Dublin
10144162Dublin
11171153Seoul
12142140Seoul
13162155Seoul
14147137Seoul
15153134Seoul
16154154Dublin (by 1 SC point)
17151132Seoul
QF131158Dublin
PF158148Seoul

So in a world where both these teams played against each other each week, Seoul would lead 10-9! But as we all know, they kicked into gear in Round 8, and since would lead 8-4! But does this mean they have the mental advantage? The last time they played, in Round 10 this year, Dublin blew Seoul off their own deck in a dominant 160+ display. Dublin also leads the head-to-head 4-2 and has extensive experience in finals. To address the elephant in the room, Dangerfield is SOOO key to Seoul. Remember when he was down a little in form because of injury earlier this year? I'm pretty sure that was during rounds 6 & 7. And when he was suspended? That was during Seoul's QF. What's that? Those three games are 3 of Seoul's lowest? But guess what? Danger is in form, so don't expect Seoul to score less than 140. This game - to read like a Channel 7 commentator trying to sound smart - will be won in the midfield. Captain bonuses included, Seoul's starting 4 midfielders scored 669 points to Dublin's 625. Those are crazy numbers. The Destroyer's midfield however, has been known to have an off day, whereas Seoul doesn't; thanks to having three midfielders recently nominated for All-Worlds team selection. The bookends of these teams didn't really do all that much either last week, so expect at least a few of them to 'bounce back' with a ton.

So, who do I think will win?

I said last week that the winner out of my "Match of the Year" would go on to win the premiership. That was Seoul, it more than convincing fashion. But, given how it was a very one-sided affair, the Magpies, I dunno, don't have an adrenaline about them in a game where say, 290+ points was scored. I also think, that Danger & Kelly might come back down to Earth a little, whereas I think Dublin's players have timed it better tbqh. Because I've been a fan of Seoul for a few years now, I WANT them to win the premiership. But my gut feel, is that Dublin is going to win it.

Come on guys, I genuinely think both teams can/will score 150+ in this one, where say in other years injury/unavailability has cruelled this possibility. If that happens, this clash will be immortalised as one of the best Grand Finals Worlds has ever seen. Good luck to you both; you deserve to be here.

And don't forget the reserves!

Both teams (Moscow & New Delhi) are playing this week but not in the seniors. What I require from you, is that you NAME YOUR BEST SENIOR 18 like you were playing finals. I will be scrutinising your best 18 to determine if that is really who you would play, so as to ensure that the players available for the reserves matches are the ones that would normally be available. If I don't agree, then I will name one for you.

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue
Siberian WolverinesMumbai ElephantsEtihad Stadium

Except, like, just name one for me yeah? You get the benefit of the doubt on the 50/50 calls, just not the 70/30 ones. Just do it :P

Toga

GoLions

Best of luck to both teams! Both had a great year :)

Will be cheering for Seoul though!

RaisyDaisy

Feel like Dublin has somehow flown under the radar a little this year with NDT and Seoul being so good and talked about regularly, but even so I think Seoul has been so impressive, especially with Danger, Kelly and Oliver and I think the result will hinge on those 3 alone

If all 3 fire, Seoul win

If they don't, Dublin win

Holz

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 22, 2017, 09:25:58 PM
Feel like Dublin has somehow flown under the radar a little this year with NDT and Seoul being so good and talked about regularly, but even so I think Seoul has been so impressive, especially with Danger, Kelly and Oliver and I think the result will hinge on those 3 alone

If all 3 fire, Seoul win

If they don't, Dublin win

I think it's the opposite, my lesser players need to stand up!

Hellopplz

Good luck both teams, should be a ripper!

I'm not sure who I want to follow as think Dublin may actually be underdogs here but Seoul could go all the way in their first finals!

Holz

Todd Goldstein; Eye/knee - Doubtful
Braydon Preuss: Shoulder - Doubtful
Majak Daw: Foot - Gone for the Season

I have won once without a ruck I dont want to have to do it again.

I have a nervous feeling that Sam Durdin will be rucking for North and Dublin this week. Pity he is a forward only.

Hellopplz

meow meow

Quote from: Holz on August 23, 2017, 11:39:25 AM
Todd Goldstein; Eye/knee - Doubtful
Braydon Preuss: Shoulder - Doubtful
Majak Daw: Foot - Gone for the Season

I have won once without a ruck I dont want to have to do it again.

I have a nervous feeling that Sam Durdin will be rucking for North and Dublin this week. Pity he is a forward only.

*clears throat*

meow meow

Wouldn't it be awful if Dublin lost due to having to play an OOP ruckman. Would be a hollow victory for Seoul.

Remember when Wilbur was a premiership ruck? His absence has left a hole in WXV.

Levi434

Quote from: meow meow on August 23, 2017, 05:23:57 PM
Remember when Wilbur was a premiership ruck? His absence has left a hole in WXV.

Holz

Alex Rance, Tom McDonald, Oscar McDonald, Jacob Weitering
Rory Sloane (VC), Dustin Martin (C), Adam Treloar, Nathan Jones
Todd Goldstein
Jack Gunston, Hugh Greenwood, Justin Westhoff, Jack Reiwoldt
Brad Crouch, Stephen Hill

Tom Hawkins, Lachie Plowman, James Parsons

3 interesting points

1. well Goldy is in but Dubliner's have a history of being late outs in grand finals.
2. Im almost consider going away from Dusty Captain :O by putting Sloane in last minute change i reckon it will cost me.
3. I have no clue what fwd to drop. I just know whoever i do will kill it. Hawkins in the man at the moment as i want Geelong to fail for obvious reasons.