Previous topic - Next topic

LordSneeze

Greene = Fine
Wines = Fine
Redpath = 2 weeks
Martin = Fine
Howlett = Fine
Preuss = Fine

Fine is correct for Greene, but the way they did it means he doesn't miss a game for a 3rd fine.
Not sure how Wines got off given it was off the ground, high and late.

igotworms

Praise the Lord (Supercoach Lord that is)!! Finally, after two weeks off utter carnage...... I have something go my way. Just in time for preliminary finals. Two trades left, to swap out Selwood and Lynch and the worms are out of trades.

Dudge

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but how Greene got off that, staggers me. Let me also add, how Wines got off his, double staggers me ( that's coming from a fully biased Port tragic ). So hard to follow the MRP.

quinny88

Quote from: Dudge on August 14, 2017, 08:26:05 PM
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but how Greene got off that, staggers me. Let me also add, how Wines got off his, double staggers me ( that's coming from a fully biased Port tragic ). So hard to follow the MRP.

Eyes were on the ball the whole time, if he could deliberately kick someone in the face in that situation then he should be in the UFC not the AFL

GCSkiwi

Quote from: quinny88 on August 15, 2017, 12:29:48 AM

Eyes were on the ball the whole time, if he could deliberately kick someone in the face in that situation then he should be in the UFC not the AFL

Rubbish - we all know peripheral vision is a thing, why on earth did he need to raise his foot? When was the last time you jumped in the air and it made sense to bring your foot up to get extra height? I don't think he was deliberately headhunting, but he 100% knew Dahl was coming, and lead with his boot...

Reminds me of another Green from the NBA haha

Deadly6

Quote from: GCSkiwi on August 15, 2017, 07:44:36 AM

Rubbish - we all know peripheral vision is a thing, why on earth did he need to raise his foot? When was the last time you jumped in the air and it made sense to bring your foot up to get extra height? I don't think he was deliberately headhunting, but he 100% knew Dahl was coming, and lead with his boot...

Agree - he knew exactly what he was doing. Doesn't worry me that he got off, but to say it was an accident is naive. We've all been in a situation where you're able to get a sneaky one in. I think GWS were very smart on this one, if it was someone with a lower profile he may have got weeks.

Holz

Quote from: Deadly6 on August 15, 2017, 10:32:09 AM

Agree - he knew exactly what he was doing. Doesn't worry me that he got off, but to say it was an accident is naive. We've all been in a situation where you're able to get a sneaky one in. I think GWS were very smart on this one, if it was someone with a lower profile he may have got weeks.

GWS GSW Greene Green

ooohhhh

ronl

In my opinion the MRP is a travesty and little more than an ill-conceived public relations exercise designed to make sure the AFL is always seen in the best possible light.  The core philosophy seems to be "ha ha, oh well, boys will be boys, won't they?" Kicking someone in the head could very well impair that person for life, if you did it to someone down the pub you'd go to jail.  Don't get  me wrong, tough, hard. skilful football is what we want, but there's nothing skilfull or tough about kicking someone in the head when they're down.  It's the act of a coward. Isn't that right, Toby?

GoLions

He didn't intend to kick Dahl in the face. His intention (imo) would have been to orevent himself from getting spear tackled whilst in mid air, which could have caused injury to himself. I hate Greene, but he didn't deserve a week for that, the MRP got it right.

shaker

Would not worry to much it was very average by him luckily Dahl only got a cut lip and he is likely to do something stupid again this year teams should bait him he has no self control

Gigantor

The Ollie Wines decision is the biggest joke from this week, off the ground bump to the head for only a fine, please!

Nige

Quote from: Gigantor on August 15, 2017, 01:18:46 PM
The Ollie Wines decision is the biggest joke from this week, off the ground bump to the head for only a fine, please!
I think I kinda goes to show there's always a fair bit of emphasis on the result. Langdon was fine after the hit and that probably partially had an impact on the sanction (or lack thereof in this case).

Also it was graded as low impact, which given Langdon was fine, makes sense. However, it doesn't excuse a high and late hit where the player was off the ground.

I feel like I haven't seen any reprimands handed out at all this year, have fines basically replaced them or come with them?

quinny88

Quote from: GoLions on August 15, 2017, 12:24:07 PM

He didn't intend to kick Dahl in the face. His intention (imo) would have been to orevent himself from getting spear tackled whilst in mid air, which could have caused injury to himself. I hate Greene, but he didn't deserve a week for that, the MRP got it right.

Correct GL. Players put their feet up all the time in marking contests and it's never spoken about. This wasn't a marking contest put still an arial ball and he stuck his foot out to protect. Not doubting he used the foot to keep space between him and Dahl but to think he meant to get him in the face is what's naive

Gigantor

Quote from: quinny88 on August 16, 2017, 04:41:11 PM
Quote from: GoLions on August 15, 2017, 12:24:07 PM

Correct GL. Players put their feet up all the time in marking contests and it's never spoken about. This wasn't a marking contest put still an arial ball and he stuck his foot out to protect. Not doubting he used the foot to keep space between him and Dahl but to think he meant to get him in the face is what's naive

It's only got so much attention because it was Greene, if it was Bob Murphy, JPK, Priddis or someone else "honourable" with a good track record it would have barely made the news (though I don't think Priddis has ever got that high haha)

fanTCfool

Quote from: Nige on August 15, 2017, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on August 15, 2017, 01:18:46 PM
I think I kinda goes to show there's always a fair bit of emphasis on the result. Langdon was fine after the hit and that probably partially had an impact on the sanction (or lack thereof in this case).

Also it was graded as low impact, which given Langdon was fine, makes sense. However, it doesn't excuse a high and late hit where the player was off the ground.

I feel like I haven't seen any reprimands handed out at all this year, have fines basically replaced them or come with them?

Roll back three years or so and Wines would have got multiple weeks, bump interpretation has definitely softened.