WXV Round 16: Cape Town to inflict Christchurch Crisis?

Started by Purple 77, July 19, 2017, 09:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Normal round! A tense one tho.

Round 16, AFL Round 18

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                                                 Head-to-Head
Cape Town CobrasChristchurch SaintsNewlands Cricket Ground, AAP Alliance, Africonia0  v  2
Buenos Aires ArmadillosToronto WolvesNeutral, Domain Stadium, AAP Alliance, Americas5  v  1
Moscow SpetsnazRio de Janeiro JaguarsLuzhniki Stadium1  v  1
Berlin BrewersPacific IslandersBerlin Olympic Stadium3  v  2
London RoyalsMexico City SunsLondon Olympic Stadium0  v  5
New York RevolutionSeoul MagpiesMetLife Stadium1  v  4
New Delhi TigersPNL ReindeersTata Stadium, EurAsia2  v  4
Cairo SandsDublin DestroyersBorg El Arab Stadium2  v  3
Tokyo SamuraiBeijing ThunderTokyo Olympic Stadium, EurAsia, Asia3  v  2

Yep, this season hasn't been one to celebrate for Cape Town. It was one marred by an under-performing midfield with not a lot of senior bookends to straighten them up. Still, the Cobras managed to make an impact on this comp; inflicting pain on finals-bound New York and Rio - an impact that won't be known until after Round 17. Cape Town are presented with another opportunity to elicit the tears of their opposition and deny them their place in finals. Christchurch continue to feel that slip-up against New York, sitting in that yellow & black 9th spot where they could have otherwise been 8th. It's the kinda result that could make this difference persistent after Round 17. Gotta win this game, and gotta win next week. But you know what? I'm not if it's meow's recent comments or just my gut instinct, but I see the Cobras getting up here.

I like this match. These two teams have some history in that they were restructured at the end of 2015; a move that initially saw the mid-tier Toronto fall, and the cellar dwelling Buenos Aires make finals. What a difference Pendles a year can make! Despite the optimism of coach Ada, Toronto ain't gonna play finals this year but to be in the conversation is a huge effort in itself. On recent form alone (past 4 weeks), the Wolves actually sit 8th on the points ladder and therefore worthy to enter finals if you ask me. But, a costly slow start to the year has cost them and they still have a couple of holes to patch up in the next trade period. Watch out 2018. I'm also fully expecting the Dillos to be a completely different side next year, and their finals would be hoping for as much. 2017 wasn't a fun year. But, there is a silver lining as I keep saying which I implore to take full advantage of. Toronto to win.

The Spetsnaz impressive 5 match streak of 130+ matches came to end last week, finally hitting the wall after getting every point out of an injury depleted 15. It's a little bit rough really that they've lost the last 5 but they came up against some quality opposition during that time. That upset win is coming, I just feel it, and boy would it feel good to inflict it against a top 8 team? The Jags welcomed back GAJ with open arms last week, propelling Rio to a much needed 140+ score and belief entering the pointy end of the season. Rio should also welcome back forward Jack Watts this week where, Cripps aside, they could effectively be at full strength. But, true to my gut, I reckon Moscow are a chance here and will get up... it'd sure help me.

It's 5th v 6th, both 9 & 6 and still not guaranteed to make finals in what is my MATCH OF THE ROUND! The Brewers have been in some form of late, turning a 5-6 record into 9-6 to sit 5th on the points ladder during this time. I can't help but notice Gawn has been back for 4 matches... weird coincidence ey? I can't overemphasise how pivotal that Michael Walters performance against Dublin was... my season was shot until that happened. But the fight ain't over. I (and Pacific) could get VERY lucky and make finals without winning another game, but neither of us want it to come to that. Despite my lift in form, even that has been surpassed by the Islanders, whom sit 3rd on the points ladder during the past month. The Islanders have been the much better team this year, but have an uncanny ability to lose matches despite scoring 140+. It's happened 4 times! In fact, they have only won by scoring 130+ once this year too. I know I need to lift, because I know what Pacific is gonna dish up. Let's just hope it's not 150+. The Islanders for me, but I give myself a red hot chance.

I get the feeling the Royals wouldn't mind if this season ended this week. With no 130+ scores since Round 6, and Mexico City and Pacific to come, they could be forgiven for starting trade talks at this time of the year. But don't give up just yet London... the Suns are vulnerable, they really are. A 130+ score could get them, but don't expect anything else to. The Suns are kinda like a gas stove running empty... the flame roars and burns hot every now and then, but not consistently. Round 14 aside, the Suns have averaged 129 every other week since Round 9. This form won't take them far in finals, but yet, they still have the list to do so. Danger game here, especially sitting 8th. Mexico City for me.

The Revolution got a MUCH needed 150+ score - their first for the year - after dreadful 3 week patch that saw them lose respect amongst the competition. Consider that regained, because that win against Cairo was character building and incredibly important to amazing keep their top 4 aspirations alive. Finals is a certainty for this team - so that's nice - but this form isn't. Back that score up with at least another 140+ and I reckon we can declare this team has peaked at the right time of the season. But as it stands, that won't beat their opponents this week. The Seoul Magpies look incapable of dipping below 140, the last time of which happened in Round 7 (when Danger had that bad couple of weeks). The Magpies have the best leadership in the competition, and that has earned them an important milestone that had gone missing in the last few days... the Magpies are guaranteed to make finals, which means this will be their first ever appearance! Congrats! KeliveField look unbeatable right now, and New York are no exception.

The Tigers notched an important win for their reputation last week; beating the setting Suns and champions of the Worlds to takeover an important mantle, whatever that is. It'd take a minor miracle for New Delhi to lose the minor premiership from here, but they deserve to win it anyway. They have been the best of the comp, so really all we can scrutinise now is their recent form. Yep, even that's been good. But, 3 other teams have been better. They definitely don't have the same 'unbeatable' aura about them that Dublin had in 2015, but does that in itself relieve pressure? Maybe. But they have a danger game on their hands here, with the Reindeers desperate to make finals on the back of some inspired form. They cannot afford to lose another match so from now on, it's do or die for them and with a beatable Cairo waiting for them in Round 17, I'll believe they'll make it if they win this match. But I don't believe they'll win this match. New Delhi for me.

The Sands horror draw continues this week against Dublin who could easily inflict Cairo's 5th consecutive loss and fall from grace. Sitting 8-3 and in the top 4, Cairo always knew the challenge was still in front of them. But that loss against Christchurch has started a deadly snowball of losses which, on probabilities, will see them miss out on finals entirely. It'd be a real shame really, because I don't think I'll ever get sick of seeing the wooden spooners making the grand final. The Destroyers did well to get themselves out of trouble against Tokyo last week, but still have concerning dips in form entering finals. Still, they should do enough to make the top 4 and secure that second chance, but if they put in their third consecutive sub-140 up... they might just lose that right. Dublin for me, but Cairo a sneaky chance.

I'm almost proud of the Samurai for cracking the 130+ barrier for the first time in 10 weeks, and really, with every incentive to lose.  It's amazing what hitting that 130 barrier does, and if the Samurai did that every week they would have at least two more wins with the potential of another 4. A solid trade period will achieve this and all of a sudden, the Samurai will have 9-10 wins next year and contend for finals. The Thunder took that path a couple of years ago; propping up consistent 130s, then 140s the next year... to now seemingly 160s. What a damn shame that this team won't be playing finals this year! They are actually the form team of the competition of the last month, sitting 1st in the points ladder during this time. The top 4 teams will be relieved that they don't have to worry about this frustrated Beijing team, who have every right to be there. Those losses against New York & Seoul ey? I'm all about Beijing winning the idol, so I'm backing them big time.

Nige

Square the ledger and keep the finals dream alive - some say it can't be done.

meow meow

I'm liking Cape Town for the win this week too. They should put us down once and for all. But will they?

CHRISTCHURCH SAINTS

B: Leigh Montagna, Jarrad McVeigh, Robert Murphy, Harris Andrews
M: (C)onnor Blakely, Bryce Gibbs, Sam Mitchell, Daniel Wells
R: Sean Darcy
F: Toby McLean, Shaun Higgins, Jarrad Waite, Alex Neal-Bullen
I: Jordan Roughead, James Stewart

E: Ryan Lester, SPS, Nathan Wilson

Rest: WHE

Nige

meow not playing Ryan Lester or Nathan Wilson, must be trying to lose!

GoLions

Quote from: meow meow on July 19, 2017, 09:46:30 PM
I'm liking Cape Town for the win this week too. They should put us down once and for all. But will they?
I really want you to knock out Dublin in finals tbh aha

JBs-Hawks

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on July 19, 2017, 09:57:32 PM
Would really appreciate it if Danger got up!

It's no secret we've had luck on our side this year, so I'd think Danger will either miss, or put in a sub Danger score ;)

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on July 19, 2017, 10:57:39 PM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on July 19, 2017, 09:57:32 PM
Would really appreciate it if Danger got up!

It's no secret we've had luck on our side this year, so I'd think Danger will either miss, or put in a sub Danger score ;)

So a 130? I'll take that!

meow meow

Quote from: Nige on July 19, 2017, 09:48:46 PM
meow not playing Ryan Lester or Nathan Wilson, must be trying to lose!

Those two along with Steele and Vardy have dropped off a little lately. Stewart deserves his spot. Petrie probably deserves a spot ahead of these guys

Got accused of tanking last week and Connor proved to be the better choice. Hopefully the same result this week.

upthemaidens

Pacific Islanders  - Attacking -

D: Rory Laird, Michael Hurley, Matt Suckling
M: Tom Mitchell(C), Marcus Bontempelli(VC), Andrew Gaff, Andrew Swallow
R: Jarrod Witts
F: Devon Smith, Steven Motlop, Rhys Stanley, Jordan Murdoch, Mitch McGovern(rested)
Int: Michael Rischitelli, Sam Gibson

E: Liam Duggan, Lee Spurr, Alex Fasolo

Resting: Adam Tomlinson

RaisyDaisy

Longmire on Tippett: At this stage he will play this week and then it is a decision for us whether he plays seniors or reserves.

Come on Horse! Just put him straight in - we've been OOP long enough!

GoLions

Kate Upton Cobras

Attacking

DEF: Jasper Pittard, Callum Mills, Luke McDonald
MID: Josh P Kennedy (C), Lachie Hunter, Mark Blicavs, Kieren Jack
RUCK: Toby Nankervis (VC)
FWD: Tom Papley, Ben Ainsworth, Mitch Honeychurch, Peter Wright, Touk Miller
UTIL: Dion Prestia, Craig Bird

EMG: Jake Carlisle, Taylor Garner, Will Schofield

I'm pretty sure we can attack 1 more time this season...Carlisle may make his way in to the team still, and if Blacres gets recalled then he's also a big chance. With Bird hopefully retaining his spot for the Bombers and Griffiths returning to the VFL last week, we actually have some depth now. Only took us like 16 weeks :P

Ricochet

Purps do we have any more Floods left? Sorry can't remember
Looks like Cameron will be out so would be handy if we did!

New Delhi Tigers
Flooding

DEF JHowe, JLloyd, Hartlett, Mullett, Vlastuin
MID Sidebottom(C), Murphy(VC), Gray, MCrouch
RUCK SMartin
FWD Darling, JMartin, Knight
UTIL Ross, Ziebell

EMER: Rich, NRobertson, Sumner

Holz

Rance, Tmac (+10%), Omac, Weits
Treloar (VC), Dmart (C), Brouch, Hill
Goldy
Jroo Hoff Gunston Hawkins
Greenwood Sloane

Plowman, Parsons, Daw

Ricochet

Crap looks like we have used all of them. So...

Quote from: Ricochet on July 20, 2017, 01:53:01 PM
Purps do we have any more Floods left? Sorry can't remember
Looks like Cameron will be out so would be handy if we did!

New Delhi Tigers
Flooding

DEF JHowe, JLloyd, Hartlett, Mullett
MID Sidebottom(C), Murphy(VC), Gray, MCrouch
RUCK SMartin
FWD Darling, JMartin, Knight, SSimpson
UTIL Ross, Ziebell

EMER: Rich, Vlastuin, Sumner