Main Menu

Bye Planning

Started by Jacka33, May 24, 2017, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacka33

I just thought I would share my team strategy heading into the annoying bye period.

Going through all the bye periods and working out how many players in each position of both premiums and rookies is the best way to work out your trade structure over the byes to do the best in fielding a full team every week.

Here is an example of all the players I will be missing from each position, both premium and rookie (good to know the difference, as the rookies are expendable and the premiums really aren't).

Round 11

Teams out

St Kilda
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne

Premiums

Def:2
Mid:2
Ruck:0
Fwd:2

Rookies

Def:1
Mid:1
Fwd:0

Total out: 8

Round 12

Teams out

North Melbourne
Richmond
West Coast Eagles
Geelong

Premiums

Def:0
Fwd:3

Rookies

Fwd:1

Total out: 7

Round 13

Teams out

Adelaide
GWS
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
Hawthorn

Premiums

Def:2
Mid:3
Ruck:1

Rookies

Mid:2
Ruck:1

Total out: 12

Using this, I have worked out that I am pretty well structured over the byes. The round 13 bye I have the most players missing, but as long as I swap a lot of those rookies out during beforehand, I should still be able to field a full team.

This is due to the fact that with all the premiums I have out, there is still enough space on the bench as long as the rest of my players are playing. So far the only player in my entire team that isn't playing is Strnadica (and we all got him knowing he wouldn't play).

The other issue is the forwards during round 12, Having 3 premiums out and 1 rookie out is an issue. But since I have time to prepare, I have worked out the best option to still field a full team.

This is by trading a mid rookie to a forward player (rookie or premium), and swapping one of my Mid/Fwds to the midfield for that week. This isn't an issue for the midfield as I should still be able to field it fully. Then I also trade my other forward rookie to a rookie who had the bye during the first week. This in turn gives me a full side and some cash from a standard rookie downgrade.

I strongly recommend people who need to plan their byes out to copy and use the formula I have above, to locate their problematic areas and which round so as best to plan how to cover it.

My last piece of advice is to have extra cash READY. there would be nothing worse than having a good trade option, only to be a few thousand short of completing it.

Feel free to post it in this thread to allow others to give advice on it as well. I will help out where I can.

Good luck, We'll all need it.

LordSneeze

Good basic check. I prefer to do it using playing players, rather than missing players and with a few changes.

Non playing available Players (Hibberd, Balic, Eddy, Stradeca etc) need to be separated as you can say you have then available, but are unlikely to play.
I like to add in an a third rookie category which includes rookie scores that I would prefer to drop. (Parsons, Pcikett etc - Ive done this in Brackets on the likely rookies

Prior to R10 Trades
Premiums
Def: 3
Mid: 5
Ruck: 2
Fwd: 2
Total - 12

Likely Rookies
Mid: 2 (1 - Mutimer)
Ruck: 0
Fwd: 3 (1 - Parsons)
Total - 6

Unlikely Rookies
Def: 1 (Hibberd)
Mid: 1 (Balic)
Ruck: 1 (Strandica)
Fwd: 0

So from this I have 18 playing with 2 players whose scoring I would prefer to drop if possible.